Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images

My DIY SWT

A little over a year ago I scored some silver silnylon at Wally World. I've been waiting for a while trying to decide exactly what type of winter tarp I wanted to make. I finally decided on a Speer Winter Tarp style with some minor mods.

Here are the features I built into the tarp.

1. Same shape as the SWT.

2. Side tie outs similar to the WBG winter tarp with small squares of the same material for reinforcement, 1/2 inch nylon webbing and 1/2 inch D-Rings. I put 2 tie outs on each side although they are a little too high and too close to the middle. If I do it again, or maybe just add some new ones to the side, I'll put them lower and wider on the sides. They do work well still.

3. My side tie outs are 2 feet apart. I took a 4 foot piece of cord and tied a loop in each end. I attached it to one of the side D-rings with a larks head and used a small biner to attach it to the other D-Ring. That way it is easily removable if I want to use the tarp in awning mode. I tied about a 16" length of very small bungee cord to side tie out cord and then a few feet of cord to the other end of the bungee to stake it out.

4. All other tie out corners had a 3/4" D-Ring and nylon webbing.

5. The four corners that get tied out have about 12' of bungee on them. Youngblood recommended doubling the bungee through the tie out loop or ring and connecting the cord to it with a clove hitch. I use that on my other tarp but on this one I decided to use a single length of bungee. I tied the bungee and the cord to the D-Ring, stretched the bungee to see it's length and tied an overhand knot in the cord, ran the bungee through the knot before tightening and then tied an overhand knot in the bungee around the cord. It seems to hold quite well and performs as planned to keep the tarp taught.

6. I used "bungee cords only" on the 4 door flaps. At the ends of the bungee cord I put the smallest "S" hooks I could find so I could open and close the ends very quickly. In winter mode with the sides all the way to the ground I just have to stretch the bungees on the door flaps and hook them into the D-Ring on the other side. This works very well even to the point that you don't have to unhook one side to step out because the bungee will stretch enough. It also works well to hook one "S" hook into the other and pull them both toward the tree the hammock is tied to and use one stake to hold them out. That provides a nice opening.

Maiden Voyage: I went to Pine Mountain, GA (FDR State Park) the weekend after New Year's and was able to put my new tarp to the test. Though the temperatures did not get near as cold as I hoped or was expected the week before I was still not let down. It rained throughout the night for both of the nights we were on the mountain. On the second night we were camped on top of a ridge, about 9 PM a storm came in and we were right in the middle of a severe lightning storm, and I do mean in the middle. The lightning was popping red-orange blasts right at tree top. It rained very hard and was blowing 30-40 mph estimated. I lowered the sides to ground level and closed off the end facing the blowing rain and stayed quite dry and comfortable, well except for a few drip coming though the seams of the tarp ridge line. I guess I didn't put enough sealer on it so I'll have to reseal the ridge.

All in all I think I'm really going to like this new winter tarp.

Full View

Closed End View

Inside View

Side View
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Hammock
    Switchback 1.9DL
    Tarp
    10x12 TTTG CatCut
    Insulation
    PolarPod
    Suspension
    TTTG Ring Buckle
    Images
    Looks great !!! I am getting ready to make one myself for the Mt Rogers hang. I hope mine turns out as good. I'm still tossing around design ideas.
    Beer won't solve problems, but then again, neither will milk !
    Designer of the Switchback Hammock
    Tree to Tree Trail Gear:http://tttrailgear.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/ Pad
    Images
    Looks Great!!! I really like the way that the tie outs are done.
    "Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
    - Yoda

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Looks good! I did the same thing on my tarp... found myself wishing that I had put the tie outs lower & farther apart.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    Looks good! I did the same thing on my tarp... found myself wishing that I had put the tie outs lower & farther apart.
    Yeah, I may just go ahead and add some new tie out points. The 4 squares of reinforcement material, webbing and d-rings will only add about 1 to 1.5 ounces. If I add them I"ll also leave the others ones in place because I think it could mess up the tarp if I try to remove them.
    Stoikurt

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    very nice!

I have yet to make a tarp...Seeing yours, and last week the SuperFly, I really like the side tie-outs...hmm...

Grizz

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    very nice!

I have yet to make a tarp...Seeing yours, and last week the SuperFly, I really like the side tie-outs...hmm...

Grizz
    They do a great job of keeping the sides off of you in high winds.
    Stoikurt

Images
    Looks good.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Kudos, Stoikurt. Good lookin' piece of gear, excellent job!
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Very nice. The side wall tie-outs are a favorite of mine. Hard to go back once you've started using them. Great job stoikurt!
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast