HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Haven't gotten into single digits yet.

16F is my current low.

Kudos to you psycho sub-zero hangers!! I tip my hat to you.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I'm glad I took an extra propane cylinder on this trip. At -14° the half-used cylinder didn't want to start the stove. "Theoretically" definitely means theoretically when they say propane vaporizes at -44°F. I had to switch to a full bottle to get the pressure I guess. Even then the stove itself was running at about 75% wide open.

Here's the MSR Reactor running on propane. Up to about -10°F at this point.

Hammock
    WBRR,HENESSEY JUNGLE, ENO 1 link
    Tarp
    ENO PRO, SLD WH
    Insulation
    Igniter and blaze
    Suspension
    Buckles,atlas,ring
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTuGJgka1qc

This was the one that got me into hammocks!

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    This weekend will.most likely be my lowest temperature
    They are predicting -9* with highs only in low single digits
    Considering I camped in 74* temps this past weekend it will be interesting
    As for my current low it would be 2*

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    -16°F for me as well, which coincidentally was the same night as OneClick's -16°F, if memory serves.
    This was with a 0° TQ and wearing an Outdoor Research down sweater over my baselayers, sleeping with balaclava and BlackRock down beanie, possum down gloves, and a Thermarest pad under my feet. Winter cover zipped on the hammock. UQ was my -20° Carolina Reaper with a 2QZQ UQP. There were gaps between the UQ and hammock under my legs and I got quite cold between my thighs and calves. Eliminating those gaps is something I've not yet been able to master with that extremely heavy UQ, though I've gotten closer.

The following week, the local temps got down to about -24°F, but I chickened out and didn't attempt.
    That sort of thing is why I prefer - whether with a short UQ or full length UQ- to depend on pads for my leg warmth. There has been many a gap problem reported here over the years, but seems to me the great majority of them have been in the leg area. It sure can get tricky when laying across the diagonal, or when changing position, seems to me, especially in the leg area. If my legs are laying on a pad- which for me never causes comfort problems- I am not going to develop any gaps. I have also previously mentioned that it seemed to me I've seen far more problems reported with full length UQs than with short ones. And in my case and some other folks, these problems with cold legs and full length UQs are quickly solved by adding a pad. Then again, if I have seen fewer problems reported with short UQs, maybe that is because someone using a short UQ is almost always already using a pad? Or, maybe I see fewer problems simply because far fewer people use short UQs? Not sure.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    My personal is 24, but that's about as cold as it gets in these parts. As for Turk's cold camping:

I just watched this video for the first time, as far as I can remember. For some reason, I have no sound. But, I was totally flabbergasted at the end, when Turk is giving credit to folks who he apparently thinks have given him useful advice. And there is my name. WHAT?

I have never slept below zero F. My best has been a few times between +6F and some other times well below 20F, sometimes with the addition of major wind chill but no tarp to block wind. I think this is the video where Turk was out for several nights at something like minus 47F plus wind chill. or something terrifying. I don't know how I could have had useful advice for him. The only thing I can remember is once discussing pods with him. Then later he tried that out and got back to me with many thanks regarding how much better that had worked compared to what he had previously been doing. With no sound, I can not tell if he was using a pod approach in this video or not.

I really got a kick out of seeing that. It almost matched the time Shug, on one of his pod videos, gave me a shout out- along with a few other actual below zero hangers- for promoting a pod approach to him. He said something like "BillyBob is the potentate of pods", or something like that. These two shout outs are actually my lifetime hammock achievements, getting a shout out from guys that actually do what I only theorize about. I am the guy who never actually sleeps below zero in a hammock, but had plenty of advice for those that do. Which proves to be much safer for me!

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I just watched this video for the first time, as far as I can remember. For some reason, I have no sound. But, I was totally flabbergasted at the end, when Turk is giving credit to folks who he apparently thinks have given him useful advice. And there is my name. WHAT? :confused
    BillyBob58 I will give you a lot of credit for getting me into all kinds of trouble hammocking.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post
    BillyBob58 I will give you a lot of credit for getting me into all kinds of trouble hammocking.
    Makes me proud!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Well, my coldest night was -3* F, according to the thermometer (verified by other thermometers). However, the coldest night I have experienced was -1* F with a 25* wind chill. We had multiple tarps hung vertically around the campfire, because there was no point in hanging the tarps normally (the wind would just go underneath them).

At one point a certain HF member was noted to have a frozen snot bubble (he was asleep at the time). You know it's cold when your snot bubbles freeze!

I'm thinking of changing my HF handle to FrozenSnotBubble.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    That sort of thing is why I prefer - whether with a short UQ or full length UQ- to depend on pads for my leg warmth. There has been many a gap problem reported here over the years, but seems to me the great majority of them have been in the leg area. It sure can get tricky when laying across the diagonal, or when changing position, seems to me, especially in the leg area. If my legs are laying on a pad- which for me never causes comfort problems- I am not going to develop any gaps. I have also previously mentioned that it seemed to me I've seen far more problems reported with full length UQs than with short ones. And in my case and some other folks, these problems with cold legs and full length UQs are quickly solved by adding a pad. Then again, if I have seen fewer problems reported with short UQs, maybe that is because someone using a short UQ is almost always already using a pad? Or, maybe I see fewer problems simply because far fewer people use short UQs? Not sure.
    Here is my take on the problem.
    I consider all my UQ's good for 10f above the rating
    Cinch the UQ tight and I do mean tight.....With my UGQ quilts they have a cord lock, that cord lock will slip, tie a knot to prevent that. Just don't over cinch things so when you get in and out of the hammock your not over doing the stress on the cordage etc.
    Biggest gain to prevent cold spots is to stack quilts ie a 0* and 40* to push the comfort level further...it really does help fill voids. 40* goes inside the 0.
    The pad kinda would do the same thing by adding more insulation value to the mix....I just get really concerned with moisture condensating within but that's the whole VB discussion problem solving.

I still don't know the low end of stacking the 0 and 20 quilts but -35c/-30f is getting close.... I'm going to say -35F without adding more clothing layers to my equation. Safety wise going for -40 I would add in my 40* quilts and figure good for -50 to -60f...but then for -40 I think I would add more layers to self to make up the difference cause pee breaks at them temps are frosty hahhaha

Also Them temps are not for screwing around in as things can go completely sideways in minutes...if anyone goes for it really know your gear and practice it before escaping into the wilds.... and a hot tent is a must IMO...warmth and drying things is of utmost importance. Without a hot tent your getting serious and need to be on your A game to survive multiple nights.....
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

• + New Posts
  • Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast