Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bkrgi View Post
    Here is my take on the problem.
    I consider all my UQ's good for 10f above the rating
    Cinch the UQ tight and I do mean tight.....With my UGQ quilts they have a cord lock, that cord lock will slip, tie a knot to prevent that. Just don't over cinch things so when you get in and out of the hammock your not over doing the stress on the cordage etc.
    Biggest gain to prevent cold spots is to stack quilts ie a 0* and 40* to push the comfort level further...it really does help fill voids. 40* goes inside the 0.
    The pad kinda would do the same thing by adding more insulation value to the mix....I just get really concerned with moisture condensating within but that's the whole VB discussion problem solving.

I still don't know the low end of stacking the 0 and 20 quilts but -35c/-30f is getting close.... I'm going to say -35F without adding more clothing layers to my equation. Safety wise going for -40 I would add in my 40* quilts and figure good for -50 to -60f...but then for -40 I think I would add more layers to self to make up the difference cause pee breaks at them temps are frosty hahhaha

Also Them temps are not for screwing around in as things can go completely sideways in minutes...if anyone goes for it really know your gear and practice it before escaping into the wilds.... and a hot tent is a must IMO...warmth and drying things is of utmost importance. Without a hot tent your getting serious and need to be on your A game to survive multiple nights.....
    One thing to keep in mind, especially when keeping the legs warm, re: condensation on pads like some folks get, and some get it real bad: Shug has always used his TR sit pad as a leg pad INSIDE the foot box of his TQ. He reports zero condensation with that set up. Which makes perfect sense, as the pad is kept much warmer inside the UQ foot box compared to outside. Which means much less chance of the pad reaching the dew point at which condensation will start happening.

The other thing, which probably won't ever apply to most folks: I have used pads at 18F with no condensation issues, as well as on "cooler" nights in summer adding a torso sized CCF pad to the pad pocket of my JRB BMBH when my back gets cold about 0500. Again, no condensation problems then, so far. But I probably won't eve get any condensation on any pad at any temp, because of my tendency to sleep in VB clothing when it is pretty cold. If I do get any, it will be confined inside my close to skin VB clothes. Or at least, so far always has been. But, you never know.

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    One thing to keep in mind, especially when keeping the legs warm, re: condensation on pads like some folks get, and some get it real bad: Shug has always used his TR sit pad as a leg pad INSIDE the foot box of his TQ. He reports zero condensation with that set up. Which makes perfect sense, as the pad is kept much warmer inside the UQ foot box compared to outside. Which means much less chance of the pad reaching the dew point at which condensation will start happening.

The other thing, which probably won't ever apply to most folks: I have used pads at 18F with no condensation issues, as well as on "cooler" nights in summer adding a torso sized CCF pad to the pad pocket of my JRB BMBH when my back gets cold about 0500. Again, no condensation problems then, so far. But I probably won't eve get any condensation on any pad at any temp, because of my tendency to sleep in VB clothing when it is pretty cold. If I do get any, it will be confined inside my close to skin VB clothes. Or at least, so far always has been. But, you never know.
    Props to you BillyBob for all the effort you have put into the VB testing and posting of results.
    For anyone interested in cold weather moisture management using Vapour Barrier's you must follow BillyBob posts on the subject....something to really consider if cold camping for extended trips.
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    Eldorado
    Tarp
    Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ Incu/Burr
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopie
    Lowest I've been in is 19℉, last Friday.

I just got a hammock the week before, but was waiting on my TQ and UQ to show up. They arrived Thursday, and I was itching to test them out. So Friday when I got off work at 9:30PM I rode home, threw my pack on and headed into the woods. Reached the site I wanted around midnight, nice little lake about 4 miles in. I had purchased a 20℉ HG Econ Incubator and a 40℉ HG Econ Burrow, so pushing it, but I did bring a sleeping bag in case I needed more. Was nice and warm all night, being right next to the lake it was pretty gusty and at one point one of my stakes came out. So running out in my underwear to get that fixed was an adventure.1

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bkrgi View Post
    Props to you BillyBob for all the effort you have put into the VB testing and posting of results.
    For anyone interested in cold weather moisture management using Vapour Barrier's you must follow BillyBob posts on the subject....something to really consider if cold camping for extended trips.
    Hey, thanks, bkrgi! I'm always hoping my views will prove helpful to some one, especially as some of my approaches are a bit out there. Not to mention rarely used by most folks. Oh well, I always say: when all else fails- and if you know what you are doing- maybe consider a VB.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston_Smith View Post
    Lowest I've been in is 19℉, last Friday.

I just got a hammock the week before, but was waiting on my TQ and UQ to show up. They arrived Thursday, and I was itching to test them out. So Friday when I got off work at 9:30PM I rode home, threw my pack on and headed into the woods. Reached the site I wanted around midnight, nice little lake about 4 miles in. I had purchased a 20℉ HG Econ Incubator and a 40℉ HG Econ Burrow, so pushing it, but I did bring a sleeping bag in case I needed more. Was nice and warm all night, being right next to the lake it was pretty gusty and at one point one of my stakes came out. So running out in my underwear to get that fixed was an adventure.1
    Hey, welcome to the hanging world, Winston! And what a pleasure it is to hear about someone using their quilts and being warm enough at their rating(UQ) or even quite a bit below(TQ), right off the bat, with no adjustment or draft issues! Good for you! I have had similar success, and so did my son on what was both his first ever hang AND his first cold weather hang, using my WB Climashield Yeti. That's how it should go, and I wish it would, but we so often hear about problems. Glad to hear you had none! Yay!

Hammock
    Eldorado
    Tarp
    Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ Incu/Burr
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Hey, thanks, bkrgi! I'm always hoping my views will prove helpful to some one, especially as some of my approaches are a bit out there. Not to mention rarely used by most folks. Oh well, I always say: when all else fails- and if you know what you are doing- maybe consider a VB.

Hey, welcome to the hanging world, Winston! And what a pleasure it is to hear about someone using their quilts and being warm enough at their rating(UQ) or even quite a bit below(TQ), right off the bat, with no adjustment or draft issues! Good for you! I have had similar success, and so did my son on what was both his first ever hang AND his first cold weather hang, using my WB Climashield Yeti. That's how it should go, and I wish it would, but we so often hear about problems. Glad to hear you had none! Yay!
    Been reading and watching everything I could about hammock camping for the last 6 months, shug's video's are a real help. I was a little worried about the UQ, because it seems like many have problems at first. But it turned out fine, made sure to setup my tarp low to block wind, and not over cinch the UQ at the ends. I can see why people have issues, I would have also if i hadn't read a bunch on it, as it was I wanted to cinch it more even though I new better.

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Hi all,

We got down to -30°C / -22°F a couple of weekends ago. Trees were cracking in the cold all around. I think I got the beginnings of frost nip on my right foot's toes because I kept pushing my feet up and over my underquilt's coverage, but other than than I was comfortable. Getting up to pee in the middle of the night wasn't a problem; it was getting back into my two nested topquilts that caused all of the hardship.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    DIY basic
    Tarp
    Amazon Special
    Insulation
    DIY Apex UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I haven't been that cold hammocking yet. A few nights where it got to the very upper 20s. No records of wind or anything, but I do have a picture of my cheap setup when we were camping with a nearby tornado (wiped out one of our local schools, but we weren't that bad). The night that this picture was taken, we had about 6 scouts forced into going to ground when the wind ripped out their stakes while the rain was a'pouring on them.

IMG_0054.JPG
    IMG_0055.JPG

*Apparently, I don't know how to post pictures without them going sideways on me. My apologies to all that check them out.

• + New Posts
  • Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910