homemade
    Tarp
    silnylon
    Insulation
    down or wool
    Suspension
    woopiesling
    Images
    under quilts are awsome and the 3 quarter ones dont weigh much at all and dont take up much space as long as there made with down

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by IndependentJo View Post
    Thank you for all the great comments. At this point I am torn between the Warbonnet Blackbird and the Clark NX250.

Does anybody know if the NX250 is fully waterproof w/o a tarp? I will be bringing a tarp anyway but depending on the NX250 being waterproof or not will determine the size of tarp I go with.

How is the NX250 with laying diagnol/flat? I like the footbox feature of the warbonnet for the ease of laying diagnol.
    There's not any hammock that I'm aware of that is fully waterproof without a tarp, including the NX250 (an Alpine hammock is under development, but not released/fully tested yet). Many are weather resistant, but you need a tarp to keep it off. Any that were waterproof would suffer from severe condensation issues.

I've never tried a Clark so I can't speak to that. I've heard good things about it, though.

I do have a blackbird, so that's a very solid choice. In your situation, I'd still consider a Dangerbird, though. That zip-up overcover/bug cover combo would be great in the wide range of conditions you'd described. The overcover won't keep out heavy rain, but will shed some water and more importantly, keep in heat.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    comfortable
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    necessary
    It sounds like a great trip.

If you have time I would recommend DIY where possible. That way you get exactly the kit you want and you'll know it inside out so you can repair as and when necessary. Most hammock gear is very easy to put together.
    "Live like you will die tomorrow, but learn like you will live forever." Gandhi

Hammock
    Eno dn/BAIS
    Tarp
    real tree hunters
    Insulation
    peapod
    Suspension
    whoopie
    I use a reusable space blanket all the time. They are light, strong and seem to last forever but that blizzard tube seems to be single use. I think 3/4s of year the Clark will be great, long term winter camping is going to be very difficult. Two or three nights is one thing but after that your gear starts building up moisture. I looking forward to seeing how it goes.
    Carpe noctem!!

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    HammockGear 40*UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by IndependentJo View Post
    Thank you for all the great comments. At this point I am torn between the Warbonnet Blackbird and the Clark NX250.

Does anybody know if the NX250 is fully waterproof w/o a tarp? I will be bringing a tarp anyway but depending on the NX250 being waterproof or not will determine the size of tarp I go with.

How is the NX250 with laying diagnol/flat? I like the footbox feature of the warbonnet for the ease of laying diagnol.
    I can't speak for the NX-250 directly, but I have a NX-200 which is pretty much the same thing, just without poles, and I can tell you that I like the lay and I am 6'6'' and as for the water proof w/o a tarp, it is VERY water RESISTANT, but when in a down poor, dont get caught without your tarp because the water will eventually seep in through the zippers, so in that perspective it is not waterproof, because of the zippers, but other than that it is a bomb shelter. Just a pointer on the clark's, the bug nets oddly enough DO hold in heat rather well, even though there are holes in it, so keep that in mind when sealing up for the night on cold cold nights, to keep from accumulating condensation, same goes for the weather shield. On the note of the Z-liner, I have heard mixed results from users, (for being bulky, heavy and having cold spots) I personally use an underquilt (from Hammock Gear) and I am very pleased with it, and I have never heard anything bad about them. I would also recommend an underquilt protector to save the underquilt from extreme weather, just to have peace of mind if you are leaving it set up while you are away, or when those terrible storms come through unexpectedly. I got the vertex tarp when I ordered my hammock, and as you pointed out the velcro that are on the corners come in very handy when needed.
    Last edited by keikepono; 01-25-2013 at 21:24.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123