Page 249 of 258 FirstFirst ... 149199239247248249250251 ... LastLast
Results 2,481 to 2,490 of 2579
    My daughter wanted a hammock for her birthday, I bought her an eno and I got interested in hammocks and found Shug on YouTube, now I'm hooked. I've bought a little at a time and having to learn new ways of setting up camp. Tents are a little easier to deal with, but not nearly as comfortable. I already had all the backpacking stuff and now I'm looking to lighten the load.

Hammock
    DH FreeBird 1.2 MTN
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, Phnx
    Suspension
    WB Dynaweave
    I was planning a cold weather backpacking trip and looking into reviews on sleeping pads (as a ground-dweller) that could serve me year-round and discovered all of them had people claiming they had failed. I was spooked. I'd only ever been camping in the summer and always just kicked a big pile of leaves under my tent - never even used a closed-cell foam mat and I determined that closed-cell foam alone could only take me so far before becoming excessively bulky in a winter scenario.

I think my next move was probably to look into cots and that likely didn't go anywhere because of weight considerations, but I don't remember.

At some point hammocks popped into my head. I had previously slept in a friend's 8-9 ft hammock (that he bought on a whim and just set up as a chair) once while car-camping after deciding my tent felt like it was suffocating me. I was quite comfortable without any bottom insulation because it was summer, so it left an impression even though I almost certainly wasn't in any sort of diagonal position getting me a flat lay; I was probably just side sleeping in a semi-fetal position clumped in the middle, but I don't remember.

So the hammock research began and eventually resulted in me getting out there in an 11 ft. hammock with a DIY underquilt poorly rigged from an old sleeping bag combined with a wide closed-cell foam mat.

It worked, and I was sold!

I'm currently looking into a proper underquilt for such adventures, as the foam mat deal really puts a damper on the comfort of a hammock for me and the sleeping bag I used is excessively heavy for how it performs as an underquilt.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DW Wide Rectangle
    Insulation
    Jacks r Better zip
    Suspension
    Beetle buckle
    I bought a cheap hammock on Amazon and I kept taking naps in it and waking up with a cold backside. So I looked into ways of sleeping better and was introduced into this whole world

I’m a newbie hanger but have been a day hiker for a while now. During Covid I was put on furlough and used the time off to hike! I hiked longer days and found myself not wanting to leave to go home at night. I didn’t see myself alone in a tent so a hammock appealed to me - suspended from the trees and cozied up under the stars!!!

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    Wife got me one for fathers day about 10yrs ago. Best nap in yrs.
    Tried it camping because I was tired of being on my hands and knees getting in and out of tents, then I found Shug. Thanks Shug,

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Z
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    Tigris el Cheapo
    Suspension
    Straps
    I was goofing around on Youtube and found Shug juggling as a suggestion within a queue of woodworking videos. A week later I was talking with a friend at a local cigar lounge and Shug came up, and then hammocks. My friend was very excited to educate me on the subject of tree-dwelling. 3 hours later I'd placed an order with Dutch and haven't descended from the boughs since. My tent is gone, my bed is gone, hammocks appear as if by magic, and I've never been happier. Or more comfortable come to think of it.
    "If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done." - L Wittgenstein

Hammock
    HH BULA
    Tarp
    HG Palace Tarp 12’
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 30
    Suspension
    Strap, MH, Whoopie
    I was at Bonaroo 2002 as a ticket holder and a camper with basic gear i picked up at Walmart. I used that as a car camper all the way through I think Bonaroo 2008, when I returned as a vendor with my local coffee shop. While there the Guys from ENO had a booth set up right around the corner from us. The boss gave everyone a couple of drinks everyday for trade, and I ended up giving their crew drinks for the whole festival. At the end the guys handed me a full system and said thanks. I was hanging any and everywhere ever since. Now I hang from a BULA, but ENO definitely lead the way for me.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    DW Winter Tarp W
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Webbing
    Images
    I became a hanger after realizing on my first camping trip that sleeping on the ground just was not for me. I have never looked back.

Insulation
    Burrow, incubator
    Suspension
    My whoppie slings
    Hey Hey,
    Just noticed this thread. I have been hanging for a long time but it all started when backpacking. I liked getting to a site and finding a nice spot and I would just relax in the hammock... before setting up my tent. I had a cheap-o at first and later got an eno (now have more then a few others). I would still use my tent or tarp for ground sleeping though. When trying to shed some weight I was looking into what was called an "over quilt".... so yeah. I was backpacking with that my tent and hammock for years. I never realized that one could just ditch the tent until a few years ago when I joined this forum. The people I hike with still are ground sleepers but I and sure I will turn them. Oh yeah, I just loved watching some YouTubers on their hang. Special mention to Shug.

I blame Shug!

I was perfectly happy being miserable on the ground before I saw his videos. Now I have built a tensahedron stand and spent my kid's college fund on cottage gear.

• + New Posts
  • Page 249 of 258 FirstFirst ... 149199239247248249250251 ... LastLast