Page 255 of 258 FirstFirst ... 155205245253254255256257 ... LastLast
Results 2,541 to 2,550 of 2579
    I"m too old to be sleeping on the ground and crawling out of a tent like its a doghouse. I've only done it once and I'm hooked.

I had not been backpacking in many years when my friend asked me if I wanted to do a week-long trip with her. I pulled out my old tent, put the fly on it, sprayed it with water, and it proceeded to rain inside the tent.

Needless to say, it was time to look for new backpacking lodgings. That's when I came across the possibility of hammock camping, and I remembered how horribly uncomfortable I found any sleeping pad I've ever tried. I got myself a Warbonnet blackbird, an UQ and TQ, and after a few test trips and our week out I have not looked back.

I never got that friend to test out my hammock, she always said "Oh no, I can't sleep in a hammock, my neck couldn't tolerate that." We just did a two night trip last month and she finally agreed to try it. She laid in my setup (now a Dutchware Chameleon) for 5 minutes and said, "Wow, I'm surprised at how comfortable I am!" I think she'll eventually join the hammocking ranks. The fact that her new sleeping pad is one of the noisiest I've ever heard will probably push her over the edge.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    AHE top and bottom
    Suspension
    Straps so far
    Age.

Honestly, that's it. I needed a way to sleep outside that wouldn't kill my back and shoulders and hips and neck and... Along came real camping hammocks and suddenly I was a happy boy again!

Before that I would literally wrap myself in a blanket and sit against a tree, dozing and catnapping as I could. Laying down on the ground would ruin me.

Images
    Long time tent backpacker. As the years have piled on (turned 53 this year), I noticed that it was getting harder and harder to get a good night's sleep on the ground. So I thought I'd give hammocking a try.

A buddy recommended this site, along with Shug's videos, as the go-to resources for hammocking. Took my new rig (HG Wanderlust kit) out in the WV mountains last weekend, and even though I still have some work to do, it was the best night's sleep on the trail I've had in years!

Hammock
    Superior Gear - Superior Hammock
    Tarp
    Superior Shelter
    Insulation
    HG under quilt
    Suspension
    Superior Buckles
    Shug
    Then I realized my old joints didn’t hurt after sleeping in a hammock

New Member 3 Feet High and Rising's Avatar
    Hammock
    New One Wind hope this is the One
    Tarp
    Only have DD
    Insulation
    Fire
    Suspension
    DD Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Herniated disc & joint pain. plus up out there dirt.

Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner DL
    Tarp
    SLD simplicity asy
    Insulation
    OZT down top quilt
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I chose to start hanging because I thought it would be lighter than a tent. Also, I live on the East coast. It seems there is not any flat ground anywhere, that isn’t covered in roots. I still tent camp when bike packing or hiking at elevation where sturdy trees don’t grow.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Asym
    Insulation
    Jacks R Better
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I started in high school in the late 90s with some sort of Brazilian hammock I bought off of Amazon, thought it would be lighter and more comfortable, liked the idea of getting off the ground and away from creepy crawlers. Fast forward today and I most certainly sleep better in a hammock. I have gone from bridge to gathered end to preferring Amok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    HG Economy
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    I have trouble sleeping and went through the hammock rabbit hole after having a bad night's sleep on uneven ground while tent backpacking.

Also, when I was a kid, I always wondered how Gilligan and The Skipper could sleep in a hammock every night.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    DIY 13ft TrueTimbe
    Insulation
    DIY WiseOwl Down
    Suspension
    DIY straps/Whoopie
    While deer hunting in WY in 1996, one of our fellow hunters (Vietnam Vet) slept in a homemade camping hammock called the "Stargazer".
    He engineered it with a bugnet, spreader bars like the WBRR, and a rainfly you could pull back and forth from inside the hammock without unzipping to either see the stars or protect yourself from the elements.
    He made a 1/2 dozen of these "Stargazers" and loaned one to me to try out.
    I tried it out, and was hooked. Not only a great design, but the most comfortable night sleep I've had while in the bush.
    I had to give it back eventually, and have been pursuing the perfect hammock ever since.
    My next foray will be with a DreamHammock coming to me next month, so I can take it out to WY for a shakedown this fall.

• + New Posts
  • Page 255 of 258 FirstFirst ... 155205245253254255256257 ... LastLast