Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    I’ve used a small cheap Amazon hammock for many years as a day hiker. Hike in, explore the area, find a nice spot and relax in my hammock and then go home. I’ve also used it around parks in the city - just relaxing by the beach or a lake sipping coffe.

I can’t stand tent camping and this has kept me from exploring many areas that I can’t reach on my day hikes, but there is plenty to see in the PNW doing just that as well.

Then, maybe 3-4 months ago I somehow stumbled on to Shugs hammock camping videos. Watching him relax in his hammocks while enjoying a hot cup of Madaglia Doro instant espresso (been a long-time fan) just blew my mind!

I mean, people actually camp (and QUITE comfortably) in hammocks - who knew?

I bought a 11 foot x 68” wide inexpensive camping hammock just to see if I liked it and gave it try in the backyard and promptly fell asleep! So, I bought a cheap underquilt and tarp to go with it and I did my first camping trip with it a week or so later - more of a test run trip than anything. Sleep like a baby and I mean I slept! I woke up, my back felt great, and just fell in love with hammock camping in that instant.

I’m hooked how. I just finished a 5 day solo trip on the Olympic Peninsula where I primarily slept on the coast and there is no turning back for this guy! Now, I’m learning from awesome forums like this and doing my research to figure out what my next steps are. I know I’m into it now, so I’m settling on a cottage hammock and will continue the journey!

Thanks for introducing me to HEAVEN SHUG!

Here’s a shot of my first night backpack trip. 724F0F78-6948-4F39-B9AE-2A909C93C77F.jpeg724F0F78-6948-4F39-B9AE-2A909C93C77F.jpeg

My journey

I got into hammock camping after my son became a Scout. Never could get too excited with the cheap ENO hammocks until I bought a Hennessy at a Leave No Trace/Outdoor Ethics conference because of their sponsorship for the organization. Finally an asym hang was comfortable for this side sleeper! Pivoting to a Warbonnet XLC system as I try to hang in more extreme conditions. Hennessy just didn't have the cold weather options.

Just started getting into hammocking, had tried a few times in years gone by but found it troublesome and expensive at the time. Mostly expensive in that I really needed a good underquilt and could not afford one.

Now as I have gotten on in years, not that I’m old but your body gets more aches and pains.

I was camping with friends somewhere local they all had hammocks and I was still in my one man tent.

Each morning I woke up and felt like I had been beaten while I slept, despite investing in a good mattress and quilt.

I deciding to give hammocking another go and have been pleasantly surprised, invested in an XLC and Wooki underquilt.

Now I still have to iron out all the bugs, I have slept in it a few nights at home so far, don’t think I have quite reached ‘Shug’ comfort but I am getting there.

I am already looking at buying a double layer to try and improve comfort, weight is not an issue to me as I was always happy carrying a heavier bed if it means I slept better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Wide Chameleon
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Last Yuletide gift day 2019, I received an Amazon hammock.

Even though it was far too short for me, the moment I laid down in it, I fell to the ground.

After the ensuing self deprecating laughter, I adjusted my mounting technique and within a few minutes I found myself very comfortable and dozed off.

I took it to the local Metroparks for short hikes with the intent of trying different tree configurations for hammock setups. I’d hang for a while, eat lunch and go home.

Then I searched the inter webs and found this forum. This forum introduced me to the cottage vendor industry.

I wanted to try hammock camping after that.

This is how it started for me.

Hammock
    My own design.
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Home made quit set
    Suspension
    Homemade Whoopie
    I was my son's den leader all through his cub scout days and I saw some pretty impressive hammock setups while car camping. I bought a cheap jungle style hammock off Amazon and a cheap rain tarp and only used it for warm weather car camping. Well when we got into Scouting I started thinking about backpacking with my son and watched Frozen through hike the AT in 2019 with his Dream Hammock Darien (i think). Went on my first backpacking trip with friends from church and used my Amazon gear with a mummy bag and knew I could be more comfortable. Added my own ridge line and it got better. Found Dutchware and was set on a Chameleon when I thought "How hard could it be to sew a hammock?" I ordered all my stuff from Dutch as well as a complete set of tarp bling. Well I sewed my first hammock and thought the quality was not any where near the Cottage vendor level, I am very happy with the result. Bought a 40 degree 600 fill down quilt set off Etsy and added pack hooks to hold the under quilt in place. Have a ridge line under the removable bug net with a ridge line organizer that holds my smart water bottle, phone and charger. I'm in love! By my second backpacking trip I had shaved 10 lbs off my pack weight and had a much more enjoyable and comfortable trip. Just made my son his own hammock and already things are improving with my quality and features. Can't wait to see how the peak loft works out for him and to add one to my own hammock. Now I have my sights on making a 20 Degree 900 fill down quilt and under quilt. And that is what lead me here. Thanks for how willing you guys are to share and mentor. Hope I have something to offer to the group.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    HG 0 UQ / 20 TQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    Images
    I never slept great in a tent so I figured I'd try backpacking with a hammock. I still need a lot of practice and better gear to stay warm but I love being off the ground. No worry about a wet floor in the middle of the night and the gentle rocking is lovely.

So even if I'm not sleeping great yet I'm confident with more practice I'll get there!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Simply Light Winte
    Suspension
    whoopie sling set
    I actually decided to get a hammock about a year ago after sleeping on the ground just started to get too painful. After learning about "flat hang" hammock positioning, I landed on the Warbonnet Ridgerunner.
    What a sweet sleep system! Since then, I ventured out and also got a Trail Lair by Simply Light Design, so that I could also experience the a-sym gathered end hammock lay.
    Both are just wonderful hammocks. The only way I will go back to a tent is if I am on a hike where hammock options will be few and far between.

Hammock
    MYOG Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps & Turtles
    Images
    I was looking to get into camping again a couple years ago, with only lousy sleep as a teenager using a tent as my prior experience (in my 30s now). I saw some hammock reviews on YouTube but was still undecided, but I knew whichever way I went I wouldn't be buying into it cheap, because if I had a bad experience how would know if it was the type of sleep system or the lousy quality of the sleep system? So I was looking for bigger budget and better quality rather than the $30 Amazon stuff, much of which is cheap for a reason. In all likelihood, a high quality tent setup probably would've been okay too, but...

...as it happened, Warbonnet was having a sale so bought into hammocks with an XLC, Superfly, and Incubator. If it hadn't been for that, I might have bought in on the tent route. The first trip convinced me. I sleep good, I sleep consistently regardless of ground conditions, my ground dwelling friends rib me good naturedly, and when it rains they all scurry back to their little huts and I prop up in porch mode and make coffee. ��

Hammock
    BB, RR, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema w/ Door
    Insulation
    WB TQ - DIY UQs
    Suspension
    Strap/Becket Hitch
    I was asked on a 5-day backcountry motorcycle trip with friends but with my chronic neck & back pain I was dreading the ground. A boy scout leader & friend of mine suggested a hammock and I haven't looked back; my 61yr old body loves the hang!

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Suspension
    Superior Gear buck
    Quote Originally Posted by te-wa View Post
    I have been noticing, especially on this forum but also on general hiking forums, there have been several new "hangers" popping up and introducing themselves. Out of sheer curiosity, I wanted to ask all of you fine new hangers exaclty how/when/why you first decided to give hammocks a try?
    Is it something you saw in a magazine ad? Is it something you saw on the trail? Or was it something your friends talk about?

I first started seriously considering hammocks after searching for DIY quilt instructions, when I came across Just Jeff's site. I soon realized that if I can sleep under a tarp on the ground, I can do it above the ground.
    the rest is history! (thanks, Jeff!)

so, how'd you learn the ways of the Ewok?
    Well I just started using this forum and it looks like I joined it back in 2019. That's when I started looking into hammock camping. I saw my first hammock out on the Superior Hiking Trail while doing a day hike and got to talking to the people. thought it was a new idea to me and started youtubing it and discovered this one crazy guy that goes by Shug and he gave a lot of info about hammock camping and then I discovered the Marine on youtube as while and between the two of them I learned a lot. I joined this forum hoping to learn as well but youtube pretty much did all my teaching (sorry forum) and fall of 2019 I saved up my money and bought my 1st hammock a Hennessy and didn't get much use the 1st year cause I got it to late in the year but summer of 2020 I also bought a kayak and taught myself to kayak and went hiking and kayak camping all summer. now this winter I am just starting to learn to winter camp in the hammock and got my 1st underquilt being delivered today (01/22/2021) from what tracking says. so That's my story and how I got into this camping hobby. everyday I'm learning something new.

• + New Posts
  • Page 251 of 258 FirstFirst ... 151201241249250251252253 ... LastLast