Page 2 of 258 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    I had seen some guys sleeping in ENO hammocks at climbing competitions a few times. I was also feeling the pain in my back from camping on the ground on a thermarest, and when you're trying to climb as hard as you can and win some prizes, back pain the night before a comp isn't exactly helpful, so I started googling "camping in hammocks". From there I found out about the hennessey hammock, and thought about buying one of those from REI for a few months. As I was deciding whether to buy the HH or not, I was googling for reviews of it, and that's where I found hammockforums. Soon after joining here I found out about the Blackbird, and liked the design MUCH better than the HH, so I bought that, and it's been the best camping-related purchase I've ever made!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB Mt.Washington4
    Suspension
    Whoopie/UCR
    I was actually trying to figure this out for myself a while back...

I remember actually sleeping in a hammock on a trip a few years ago before I actually new what I was doing and that you could even use a hammock as a shelter. I was on a trip to Wheeler peak, NM with my girlfriend (now wife) and her friend (also female). So we had 2 two tents and I'd packed in a Byer parachute hammock just to lounge around in. After we set up camp, I went down to pump water. When I got back I found the two girls lying head to foot in MY hammock asleep! Later in the evening I actually got a turn in the hammock, and after getting comfortable there, I wasn't looking forward to going to my tent. So being new to backpacking, and completely ignorant of anything lightweight (who ever heard of ultralight... I was wearing jeans for crying out loud!!!!) I also had packed in a blue walmart tarp, because I planned to have an area to cook under in case of rain. (So I'm half brilliant)
    I strung a line between the trees and A-framed the tarp over it. It was the most comfortable night of the trip.I didn't think to use my pad in the hammock though. I remember being a little chilly. I slept in the tent the next night and was miserable. It's not even the hard ground that's the worst. It's sliding off the pad, and sliding into the wall. But the roots don't help much either.

I probably wasn't really thinking of it at the time, but I believe the first time I ever saw someone use a hammock was while I was in Basic Training at Ft Knox. We were spending a night out at the range firing the tanks, and about 30 of us wear sleeping on the floor of a small room. Not my Drill Sergeant! He strung a hammock up under the covered picnic tables outside. I thought he was hardcore, and believe me he was, but maybe he just knew a better way.

Hennessy way the first company I knew about and was dead set on getting one, until I found out there were other options through Hammockforums.net and Jeff's site.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    3 season bag
    i worked at a youth camp last summer and all the staff had ENOs so i joined the bandwagon. looking back it was probably the best purchase of my life. i use it more than i ever thought i would and if my mom would let me put holes in the roof i would hang it from the rafters in my room instead of a bed. i dont have room for a stand or I would most deffinetly get one.

being a lifelong camper with the scouts, I thought I knew everything about camping. As I aged, I started to not like the getting up off the ground in the morning.After having my knees replaced, I started to put off camping. I found out that one of the other leaders in our troop had a hennessy and gave it a shot. The rest they say is history. I now hang in a z style hammock. I have used Jeff's site continously.Thanks Jeff!
    yis,
    erin

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    How did I begin hanging?.....after back surgery in 2002. 3 months recovery sleeping in a hammock in my basement was all I needed to get off the ground when I could begin to hike and camp again. Never go back.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Not a newb...butt....my daughter asked for a Clark as a college graduation present. I guess all that college money was well spent after all! Curiosity got the best of me and the rest is history. We regularly hang together and have inluenced four of my friends. We now are a posse of six and growing. BTW....five of the six are Claytor hangers but I confess to coveting the Blackbird.

Miguel

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle, DIY
    Tarp
    Claytor Diamond
    Insulation
    2/3 UQ, Speer TQ
    Hello Everyone!
    I started hanging a few years ago with a cheap Walmart spreader bar hammock. The hammock was only 5 dollars so it was more affordable than a tent. First nights sleep was great until I got up and found I could barely move my arms! My first introduction to the dreaded shoulder squeeze. Came home and started scratching around the net trying to find the ins and outs of hanging and found hammockforums. About an hour later I was hanging again with a ridge line and a smile! Have been hanging ever since, even have a HAAB double in the bedroom. Best sleep EVER!
    All my comforts made possible by you great folks here. Many thanks to you all!

-Wade

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Nano 7
    Tarp
    Exped Poncho/Tarp
    Insulation
    WallcreepBivanorak
    Suspension
    Eno SlapStrap Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Darby View Post
    What he said

Dude, I like your style!!!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Planning my thru hike by reading the arguments at WhiteBlaze. Read a post about hammocks being good for the back. My back hates me so I figured I'd give it a try. 3 days after getting my first hammock in the mail, I took the bed apart and never looked back.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.0
    Tarp
    Nothing atm....
    Insulation
    Costco down throws
    Suspension
    WBBB Line/Strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeinfhaz View Post
    I have been noticing, especially on this forum but also on general hiking forums, there have been several new "hangers" popping up and introducing themselves. Out of sheer curiosity, I wanted to ask all of you fine new hangers exaclty how/when/why you first decided to give hammocks a try?
    Is it something you saw in a magazine ad? Is it something you saw on the trail? Or was it something your friends talk about?

I first started seriously considering hammocks after searching for DIY quilt instructions, when I came across Just Jeff's site. I soon realized that if I can sleep under a tarp on the ground, I can do it above the ground.
    the rest is history! (thanks, Jeff!)

so, how'd you learn the ways of the Ewok?
    I'm getting into hammocking because of you mike : P Seriously though I can't wait till it comes in so I can try it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 258 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast