Eno ProNest
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Ridgerest/ Bag
    Suspension
    Custom Straps
    Images
    Me? I got very tired of suffering on the ground. I tried everything: pad, mummy bag, multiple pads, pillows, CCF, etc. nothing worked and I was miserable on overnights. Started looking at other modes of shelter and saw a photo of a HH and that was it - goal! Never even thought of hammocks as a thing for hikers until I couldn't sleep on the ground. Speer, HH, Warbonnet, DIY, was a whole new thing to me. Now I have a HH ultralight with a soon-to-have MacCat and I am one very happy hiker. The forum here really helped me learn about how-to and what not to do via forums and the gallery. Thanks guys (and gals)!!

"Hanging in a better place now H.I.P Andy"
    The last time i was out in the woods was mid December in my tent, first night was dry and cold then it warmed up and rained most of the weekend, my tent turned itself into a waterbed so i left that and pitched my tarp and slept in my bivvi bag the rest of the weekend. My camping companion was already in a hammock and stayed dry. Also it's gets a bit much trying to get inside a tent which is only one metre high at it's highest point:rolleyes.

Hammock
    homemade
    Tarp
    Claytor 13' x 10'
    Insulation
    trimmed down pad
    Images
    I was looking for a lighter tent when I came across clark hammocks on the web. I then started searching for other sites about hammocks. I did not of anyone that had ever camped with a hammock so I had nobody to bounce ????'s off of ,and so I was very hesistant about buying one. But there was somthing about the idea of hanging above ground in the backcountry that just kept drawing back to it. I think that a combination of the reveiws from others, the weight and the thought that my back would not hurt in the mornings pushed me into buying one. I remember my wifes look on her face when I told her about the purchase that I had made, It wasn't A look of (you spent how much) but rather (you are going to sleep in the woods with what) and so I waited and waited for it to come and when it did it was like christmas all over again I could not wait to set it up and get in, needles to say I fell in love. I will never be a ground pounder again. I intro it to my little girl and I think she loves more than I do. I later found this site and found a whole new world. I can honestly say that my hat goes off to all of you that have made this site as wounderful as it is. I now reccommed Hammock camping to people that I know and in the same sentence the recommendation of this site as well, and what it can offer. In doing so I have had two people that I camp with have gone to hammock camping and share the same feelings as well. Thank you !!!!

Hammock
    HH Ultralite Backpacker
    I was tired of sleeping on the ground and waking up hurting. I love the light weight of tarps, but I'm willing to spend 5 oz towards a new shelter that will allow me to have more versatility in set-up and sleep better.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe Asym
    Insulation
    Vango Pad
    New member of this community, hello to all!

I'm new to hanging, not yet had my first full night in my hammock but looking forward to it.

I stumbled across hammock while hunting though a variety of bushcraft and camping gear websites. The idea and practicalities jumped out at me and I bought a HH explorer Deluxe (I'm 6'1" and near 100kg) I'm experimenting with my setup in the garden at home at the moment, debating whether to remove the tarp from the setup and string it seperately for tauntness. For now I'll trawl through this site for ideas!

Must admit to a recent tent purchase as well, not sure that i'll suffer comfort wise as it's a 4m soulpad with a double bed in it!

Hammock
    hammock
    Tarp
    tarp
    Insulation
    UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Empyfree View Post
    New member of this community, hello to all!

I'm new to hanging, not yet had my first full night in my hammock but looking forward to it.

I stumbled across hammock while hunting though a variety of bushcraft and camping gear websites. The idea and practicalities jumped out at me and I bought a HH explorer Deluxe (I'm 6'1" and near 100kg) I'm experimenting with my setup in the garden at home at the moment, debating whether to remove the tarp from the setup and string it seperately for tauntness. For now I'll trawl through this site for ideas!

Must admit to a recent tent purchase as well, not sure that i'll suffer comfort wise as it's a 4m soulpad with a double bed in it!
    Check out tothewoods.net as well. JustJeff is a member here, and he's got lots of good information that's organized in a way that's digestible.

It can be hard gathering info on a messageboard, although this one is a great resource.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    Mamajamba camo
    Insulation
    TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    A co-worker got me interested in backpacking a couple of years ago, and started collecting some equipment. Carrying the stuff a few times makes you re-evaluate the weight. Sleeping on the ground a few times makes you re-evaluate the comfort.

Some internet surfing got me to Sgt. Rock and Just Jeff's pages and they led me to HammockForums. Reading the posts, I found everyone, expecially Shug and Cannibal to be informative. Shug's video was also very useful. I ordered the Warbonnet Blackbird Double 1.7 and have slept in it one night and a couple of naps. Not likely to go back to ground by choice. Still working out the insulation and tarp issues, but I'm getting great information on the forum.

Thanks for all of your input. The information is great!

Double thanks to WarbonnetGuy!

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    FiveOh, nice avatar. Monument Valley, Arizona?

Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie

First Post!

A couple of my camping buddies have purchased HH rigs which I found quite impressive but I didn't think they were for me because I'm a "side sleeper". I found Shug's -26F hammock camping video on youtube, which inspired me to try sleeping in a frame hammock in the backyard.

It wasn't too bad (even in the 20's with a sleeping bag I couldn't get all the way on) so I decided to get one, but which one?

Being contrarian in nature, I couldn't just get an HH like the other guys. I found a video by this other guy Pablo on his DD hammock and tarp setup. Sold. Pablo's review of the DD http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKHFupZjmZo

The double bottom design works real well with my Wally-world CC pad, and the whole setup can work as a bivy in a pinch. The best part for me is being able to sleep all night until the birds wake me in the morning. Until now, waking up to toss and turn was the rule.

Unfortunately, I have a whole collection of tents...

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Festus Hagen View Post
    Unfortunately, I have a whole collection of tents...
    So? Soon you will be making your own quilts. You'll have a tent for each weight of down you want to stuff. They do have their uses. Just not for sleeping in the ground in.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 13 of 258 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast