Page 102 of 258 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152202 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 2579
    Hey all. First post here but been reading a ton. Awesome site!

I spend a good bit of time on the road working stagehand gigs and whatnot. I got into hanging because a hammock is a great, convenient way to catch some sleep almost anywhere. It's one of those tools you just don't leave home without.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Double
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Baby Orca IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I've enjoyed camping and backpacking immensely since my youth (a long time ago). In the past few years, I started noticing how the ground had started getting harder and lumpier, and that my sleeping pad was getting thinner and thinner (though my ruler says it's the same thickness). I had to do something to continue enjoying the great outdoors.

I became aware of hammock camping as an alternative to tent camping. I stuck my toe in the water about a year ago, and with the resources found at HF, have enjoyed the benefits of sleeping off the ground, comfortably. Accounting for such challenges as CBS, and keeping my rear suspended off the ground, has made my hammocking experience a success.

Have experienced 10+ nights, usually over weekends, with temps down to 24*, winds to 30mph, as well as some rain, so far. I'm confident enough in my set-up and experience level to extend my experience as a hanger. Currently planning for a 10-day trip to the BWCA in July with my boy's Northern Tier crew. I'm sure that will test things a little bit more.
    ol' daddy

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    1/4" Volara
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by ol' daddy View Post
    I've enjoyed camping and backpacking immensely since my youth (a long time ago). In the past few years, I started noticing how the ground had started getting harder and lumpier, and that my sleeping pad was getting thinner and thinner (though my ruler says it's the same thickness). I had to do something to continue enjoying the great outdoors.

I became aware of hammock camping as an alternative to tent camping. I stuck my toe in the water about a year ago, and with the resources found at HF, have enjoyed the benefits of sleeping off the ground, comfortably. Accounting for such challenges as CBS, and keeping my rear suspended off the ground, has made my hammocking experience a success.

Have experienced 10+ nights, usually over weekends, with temps down to 24*, winds to 30mph, as well as some rain, so far. I'm confident enough in my set-up and experience level to extend my experience as a hanger. Currently planning for a 10-day trip to the BWCA in July with my boy's Northern Tier crew. I'm sure that will test things a little bit more.
    Enjoy the BDub! Heading up May 21 myself with my blackbird.

Plutozenark

Talking Hanger wanta be.

I have had a hammock for a few years now. However, I have never had an occasion to use it overnight. The lack of knowledge on how to set it up properly has not helped either.

Recently while hiking with a Scout troop along the Buffalo River Trail in Arkansas, I witnessed my first group hang. There our troop was tents up and sleeping on the ground at Kyles Landing when I saw more hammocks in one place than I had ever seen.

So I and another adult went down and engaged the tree hangers in conversation. I believe that Papa Smurf was among the group we had a chance to speak with. It was very informative and made me want to learn more.

Beyond being totally thrilled by the concept of carrying less weight in my pack I remember a few things. One of them something about Butts in a Sling and the other being directed to this forum.

Hammock
    DAO gathered end
    Tarp
    DAO pirate
    Insulation
    DAO PLUQ and TQ

Hanging for 36 years

I have been a hanger since I was wee little! My family used to put me in a string hammock when I was a toddler and rock me to sleep when we were pop-up camping. Left the scene for a while and picked it back up in the past two years when hubby came back from a trip overseas. Since then the hook sank even deeper when we set up on "The Ultimate Hang Tripod" and never got up to cook dinner, s'mores, tell campfire stories or sleep. Doesn't hurt that hammocks are SO much easier to pack on a kayak than to try to pack the pop-up. (It sinks the boat!)
    I'll never sleep on the ground again.

Hammock
    camo claytor
    Images
    I got my first hammock when i was 12 (now 40) from Wal-Mart, the old fishnet/string kind. I could go camping with my friends and be set up in a min. LOL while they were trying to figure out their tents. Traded out the old yellow and green plastic rope for straps and carabiners. Went through the boy scouts with it and still have it...LOL. I gave it up for years and fell to the tent. started getting back outdoors and found that hammocks have come along way and just got my camo claytor mosquito/jungle hammock and love it. I can use the fly as a tarp when realy cold out, set up the hammock like a tent if i need, and have the whole hammock set up. For survival camping the abilty to have 3 diffrent ways to set up is great.

Skinnyman
    I became a hanger about six years ago with a Clark hammock. I wanted to camp with out all the hoo-ha that goes with tent setup. No rocks in my back,no crawling around to get up now I just hang my feet off the side put my shoes on and I am ready to go! Went camping last weekend with my sons scout troop ( on top of a bluff with 30 to 40 mph wind gusts at night ) while the ground sleepers struggled with ground tarps and the blowing dust, the hangers swayed gently in the breeze and slept comfortably all night!
    Last edited by Skinnyman; 04-17-2012 at 07:57.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY ?
    Insulation
    DIY ?
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    I became a hanger about a year ago. My buddy had recently started hanging, and then I came across a "Hammock Camping" article in The Backwoodsman magazine that got me interested. Me and my boys love our hammocks.

I became a hanger because I wanted to be able to do overnights all year round in any kind of weather condition. There were time were I got wet in a tent due to heavy rainfall. So I started to look at hammocks. I had a crappy web style I used to relax on the trail with but knew it would not suffice. So I started to look online and came across this forum. And quickly found out why hammocks are simply amazing. Then shortly after, I discovered the wacky fun guy we all love..... SHUG! I know in one of your videos you said your not trying to turn anyone Shug, well its to late for that. Im deep into the fun of hammocking now and its all your fault . One day I would love to go a hike somewhere, anywhere, with the ole Shug to pick his brain of knowledge and trips, but that is up to him. Anyway thats why I became a "Hanger". Now lets see how long it takes Shug to notice this post

Hammock
    Treedscape BigPaw
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's Tarp
    Insulation
    Treedscape BigHeat
    Suspension
    Straps + Whoopies
    I had to figure out how to backpack lighter or call it quits. Last summer I had some heart troubles and ended up with a pacemaker. Let me tell you, there's nothing like something sitting under your skin directly beneath your shoulder strap to make you re-evaluate all those 60-80 lbs loads!

I was doing all kinds of research and was about to make a tarp tent/ground cloth combo when I stumbled across Shug's videos and saw the light. Now I'm hanging in my homemade hammock and enjoying the lightweight life.
    "Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive" - Elbert Hubbard

• + New Posts
  • Page 102 of 258 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152202 ... LastLast