Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

Video : The Ghost on Browning Hill

Mule (skskinner), Hiking Dave and I did an overnight hike this week, to the peak of Browning Hill, near Story, IN. Mule and Dave know these woods well, and there is a lot of local lore surrounding this "Stonehedge of Indiana".

Mostly this is footage of us stomping around on the trails, but there is some gear talk. And a real, true ghost story.

It was a brisk night, low temperature was 16.5 degrees. All of us stayed warm in our hangs, it was only when we broke camp that fingers got cold.

For high resolution, go here.

Grizz

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I think I saw the ghost.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Thumbs up "Wayfaring Stranger!!!!"

They are some poor wayfaring strangers ........... walking in ........... the woods sooooo cold............. "Wayfaring Stranger" was a most prodigious choice for the ending scene. That is one of the songs that I have requested to played at my Demise Party ... at the Cemetery. One of my favorite Bill Monroe pieces. Pick and sing it myself .... in Em. Gotta be minor key!
    Wow Grizz...that mandolin gave me chills with the still shots of snow with leaves peeking out of the snow. Fellers walking and spending the time in God's Finest Work. Not that I am the most religious ape in the woods but I feel it there in the piney, spooky woods. All three of you are blessed to be granted the gift of COMFORT and security in the forest and are using that gift aggressively. That is powerful stuff because not everybody gets that gift and is able to see, feel and revel in what I feel is His greatest work ........ OK, sorry to get kinda mushy on you.
    Love that stark tree footage. And seeing all the hammock set ups with chit-chat on the actual rig. Warbonnet tarp looked stellar as did all the tarps. I like the "pole propping" on the one.
    When is your next yard sale? Soonest I hope.
    I think the content of this viddy is wonderful as it is an extraordinary thing to capture a live trip and then let us come along in a vicarious way.
    Thanks Grizz ..... 5 *****
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    dp gear .com
    Tarp
    dp gear .com
    Insulation
    dp gear .com
    Suspension
    dp gear .com

Ghost Stuffffff

Hey "hangers",

I spent my Birthday on Browning Hill with the ghosts and aliens. In fact, the ghosts and aliens looked just like GrizzyAdams and Mule'ie.

FYI: My first hang with the Grizz and for those of you who have not met GrizzlyAdams, well, just let me say this ... "you are in for a treeeeet". So prepare yo'self.

I should add, MisterMule is also one talented guy who has taught me the fine art of getting OFF the Ground.

CarpeDiem
    CamperDaver

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    great video and like Shug said love the music I like the way Bill does it but it send cold chills down my spine when Emmylou Harris does it in the Am cord. at least that is how I play it capo 3 fret.

Grizz is that one of those handy dandy camera mounts that shug used and what kinda camera are you using

Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    Nice video, now that makes me really want to come to Browning Hill sometime.
    Chris

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    I also would like to know what kind of camera you guys are using to make these videos. I'm just starting to realize the possibilities out there.
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Shug--glad that tune struck a chord with you. Having mandolin music at the backend was a bit of an accident. I'd decided where to put Mule's ghost story (at night), and he talked about hearing this mandolin music, which seemed a great place to cut, and plunk in some mando tune. "Why not finish the whole thing off with that?" I thought. And it really worked well with the stills of trees in the morning, I didn't see that one coming, but liked it when I saw it. I too am a fan of being in the woods in the winter. Is a tad bit trickier finding dry wood to burn though. If I'd thought about making this video into a comedy I would have taped us trying to get our fire going and keep it going.

In the morning I brewed myself a cupa tea from hammock, per your style. I like that a lot. Here's a trick for bushbuddy owners...the bushbuddy does great double duty as a stand for an alchohol stove. I had my Trangia going, and snuffed it out when I was done just by removing the bushbuddy's pot stand and set the kettle on top. Burns off the O2 in an instant. I would think this would work for any other alcohol burner that isn't otherwise easily snuffed.

Dutch--time you got some glasses man. Ain't no ghost up there. Not sure what Mule saw or heard, or what was shaking Dave's hammock in the wee hours.

dplant a.k.a. Hiking Dave--looking forward to more hiking with you and Mule man.

cavediver2--the opening shots I did with the StickPic. After that the tips of my poles were too wide, being layered with frozen mud! My camera is a Canon G9. First video I've made with it, the others have been with a camcorder. Compared to a camcorder the biggest weakness is the mic, and that I can't zoom in the middle of a shot. The latter one is easy to live with. The former one means lots of music for background in the videos.

Rigidpsycho---c'mon up. Mule will show you the sights!

Come in the summer time and you can dodge the rattlesnakes I just read about in the Nebo Ridge Trail brochure I picked up at the trailhead. Another really strong reason for hanging.

Grizz
    Last edited by GrizzlyAdams; 01-10-2009 at 12:54.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    In the morning I brewed myself a cupa tea from hammock, per your style. I like that a lot.
    Grizz
    That is living right my friend........
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY Speer type
    Tarp
    DIY 10 x 12
    Insulation
    DIY Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Boy Mule, looks like it was a fun trip. Wish I could have been there. BTW, I have the hammock I got from you set up in the basement and I think it's going to work out great. Spent a night in it and have a couple of adjustments to make (just fine tuning really) and I'll be ready to go. Working on a ridgeline for it and trying to find a tarp (anyone got a garage sale or yard sale going .... need a 10 x12 or 10 x 10 tarp .... cheap).
    Also have to hear more about that stool Hiker Dave has.
    I'm so out of shape ......I passed gas yesterday and pulled a muscle!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast