Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    ENO singlenest
    Tarp
    dunno yet
    Insulation
    Nada :(

New to Hammocking

Okie, Sooo I'm new to hammocking, but it looks like something I'm going to enjoy. I'm thinking I'd go with the ENO doublenest hammock (I've tried it out and it allows me to sleep sideways in it, which is awesome) and the Speer 8x10 CatTarp b/c it looks very versatile and its lightweight.

One question I have though, is should I want to buy a bug net in the future (b/c I'm super paranoid bout spiders) are they interchangeable? For instance, if I have an ENO hammock, is there any reason I couldn't use a Speer bug net with it?

Also, Do any of you use thermarest inflatable mattresses with your hammocks--and if so, do they move around on you a lot and what do you use for a pillow?

Thanks!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    The Speer bugnets are designed to be attached to the hammock (via omni tape) to create the seal. There are other options out there that won't require any mods like the ENO Guardian or the Warbonnet bugnet.

Spiders Suck! I'm kind of a sissy about them too.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    ENO singlenest
    Tarp
    dunno yet
    Insulation
    Nada :(
    The ENO bugnet I saw looked sorta heavy. I've heard of several people who just by the doublenest ENO b/c it sorta flops over them --in theory so they wont need a bug net...but spiders can get in anywhere...

This is why I've been a ground dweller for so long..its so I could seal out all the spiders! lol. (and I had this vision of hammockers looking like shish-ka-bobs to bears....) lol.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Katt View Post
    Tbut spiders can get in anywhere...

This is why I've been a ground dweller for so long..its so I could seal out all the spiders! lol.
    Yep, I can relate! I once gave myself a black eye because I walked thru a web and was blessed to get a banana spider the size of a grapefruit planted squarely on my face. I knocked the crap out of myself in an effort to make sure it died, then ran away.

The ENO nets are a bit heavy, but much of that weight is the stuff sack which can be very easily removed. The Warbonnet netting is around 7oz and looks similar but has a horizontal opening rather than a vertical.
    Trust nobody!

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Yep, I can relate! I once gave myself a black eye because I walked thru a web and was blessed to get a banana spider the size of a grapefruit planted squarely on my face. I knocked the crap out of myself in an effort to make sure it died, then ran away.

The ENO nets are a bit heavy, but much of that weight is the stuff sack which can be very easily removed. The Warbonnet netting is around 7oz and looks similar but has a horizontal opening rather than a vertical.
    I had a Wolf spider climb up the inside of my cot bednet in Haiti, it woke me up by crawling across my face. I ain't a big fan of spiders either.

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Katt View Post
    Okie, Sooo I'm new to hammocking, but it looks like something I'm going to enjoy. I'm thinking I'd go with the ENO doublenest hammock (I've tried it out and it allows me to sleep sideways in it, which is awesome) and the Speer 8x10 CatTarp b/c it looks very versatile and its lightweight.

One question I have though, is should I want to buy a bug net in the future (b/c I'm super paranoid bout spiders) are they interchangeable? For instance, if I have an ENO hammock, is there any reason I couldn't use a Speer bug net with it?

Also, Do any of you use thermarest inflatable mattresses with your hammocks--and if so, do they move around on you a lot and what do you use for a pillow?

Thanks!
    all you need is to sew velcro(loop side on hammock)the attach net when needed(hook side on noseeum
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

Hammock
    HH Exped Asym
    Tarp
    DIY Sil
    Insulation
    KickAss UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have the ENO bugnet and it seals pretty tight although a small spider could probably make it in. I dropped my bike in the driveway cause there was a spider on one of the grips. He jumped off the grip and was making his way down to my leg when I just decided to step off the bike. Next thing I knew the bike was laying on a short brick wall that was next to me with a windshield that was snapped in two. Really made me sick and the next day at work I found an action figure of Spiderman taped on top of my cube. Sometimes it seems as though nothing is sacred!!!
    When it goes over their heads, it really doesn't matter how high it is.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    Can't say about the interchangeability of the nets, but thanks for telling me that spiders will get in anyway!

I do use pads, though. The 3/4 length Thermarest Prolite works very well for me (in my HH ULBP). Just the right balance of stay-put and easy adjustability. For a pillow, my down vest is usually stuffed in a football-sized cotton stuff sack that I bring along just for that purpose. If I need the vest for warmth, other unused clothes (socks, raincoat, etc.) go in the sack.

Images
    you might not need a pillow, i slept without one for a long time. now i like a really small one, you don't need much. some clothes in a stuff sac is popular. i like a u-shaped travel pillow (the polyfill ones are more comfy than the air filled ones imo)

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by gstepclassical View Post
    I have the ENO bugnet and it seals pretty tight although a small spider could probably make it in. I dropped my bike in the driveway cause there was a spider on one of the grips. He jumped off the grip and was making his way down to my leg when I just decided to step off the bike. Next thing I knew the bike was laying on a short brick wall that was next to me with a windshield that was snapped in two. Really made me sick and the next day at work I found an action figure of Spiderman taped on top of my cube. Sometimes it seems as though nothing is sacred!!!
    Part of my motivation for going to the trees was spiders. While they can get in most anywhere, most are on the ground, in wood, etc. At least with a hang, webbing provides the easiest and most visible route. As a ground dweller during Sept. of 07 while on a canoe trip I was bitten by a black widow in my tent in northern lower michigan. Was no fun. Take the flu times ten and that was how I felt for about 5 days. I had to pack 6 canoes and paddle 15 miles out after being bitten. I am very careful to zip things up, shake things out, etc. now. Spiders are everywhere.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast