HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    Not a problem.

That's why I use Velcro ties instead. A year of hanging (~30-50 nights) and still going strong. I linked above, but here's the link again, for Lowes: http://www.lowes.com/pd_319820-388-9...cro&facetInfo=
    I've been using 6 of these for the last couple of years. They replaced my netted snakeskins. No stuff sack ; just strap it all on the outside of my pack.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 Double
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ and EE TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I love the snakeskins since I can hang my tarp but leave it 'skinned' when the weather is decent. I use the double ended 'bishops bag' for my hammock as it packs up tight yet deploys and packs super fast. The bag just stays on one end of the hammock while deployed.

neusiok.jpg

Hammock
    Various DIY
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gplg View Post
    Someone had figured out you can use the bath sponges/scrubby thingys as snake skins. They cost a dollar. One sponge is all you need. Cut the rope and it's a 10' tube. It's very fragile, but for a dollar, it works great. I have mine doubled up to beef it up a little.
    We ladies call them 'bath poufs'.

Hammock
    Various DIY
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OldRagFreeze View Post
    I use three bungie hair ties... One on each end (doubled in my case) and one in the middle. Same exact effect as snakeskins but cheaper, lighter, easier to get in place, and allows the tarp to dry a little while bundled. Simpler is better in my book. HYOH.
    How are you attaching them? Are they around the rolled up tarp like bracelets on an arm or are they larks-headed around the tarp? Basically, do you have to push them down to the end of the tarp and onto your ridgeline or can you just take them off?

Hammock
    DH Dangerbird
    Tarp
    SLD Asym
    Insulation
    HGIncubator/UGQ FJ
    Suspension
    Whoopies / Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Geektechnica View Post
    Hi All,

I have a Hennessey Hex 70D tarp with a continuous ridgeline utilizing 1.75mm Zing-It and Dutch Stingerz. I want to make it easier to set up and so I'd like to hear opinions on getting the Hennessy snakeskins vs getting one of the double-sided stuff sacks (e.g. Jacks r Better Speed Sack).

Seems like both options make setup easier and faster, but I don't have experience with either, and would love to hear from those of you who do.

Thanks!
    I literally have your exact tarp setup. Hexfly w/ Dutch stingerz and Zing-it line on either end. I purchased the Hennessey snake skins and love them. Just the right size for this tarp.

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The double-sided bag can easily be used with a continuous ridge line. I am assuming you are using a Prussik knot with the continuous ridge line for adjustment. The bag is hung on the ridge line with the tarp. When you are ready to put your tarp away, slide the two Prussik knots together and stuff the tarp. At this point the Ridgeline is still connected to the tree and the cord is hanging out both ends of the line with the tarp inside the bag . Untie each end, roll them neatly and stuff them into each side of the bag. So either method, snakeskin or double sided bag, will work. That being said I do prefer snakeskins, but some people do not like the way they pack. The mesh ones weigh less and pack better because they're not so rigid after being stuffed, but they are more fragile.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC - DL
    Tarp
    CG 15'x10'
    Insulation
    DD UnderBlanket
    Suspension
    straps, cinch bckl
    Images
    I use both.
    Slide the snakeskin over the tarp to pack up, then run the whole thing into it's double-sided stuff sack.

Hammock
    DIY 11' Airwave w top cover
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 1.1 XL
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Hooks
    I have a HH with Superfly tarp and use snakeskins. both the hammock and tarp fit together into the snakeskins along with the tarp tieouts.

to deploy, just set up the hammock suspension, pull back the skins, hook up the zingit (with dutchhook and stinger) for the tarp.

easy to use and simple to store.
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incu+SLD TW+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    I know, really old thread, but I just wanted to mention how genius the hair tie idea is. I need a few more than 3, I guess since it's a tarp with doors and I don't roll it up or anything like that.

It's just awesome how you can basically slide them over the tarp that's just hanging there and you get a nice and tidy tarp that also goes easily back into its original stuff sack. And you can't beat the price of "free" as the kids always have those around.

I use one of those hair ties to hang my cell phone from the ridge line for watching movies too. I wonder what other hidden uses they have!

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234