Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by Geektechnica View Post
    Thanks guys!

Looks like the skins are the clear winner.

FLRider: Thanks for the link, those Mountaingoat skins look perfect!
    Why not save your money (and weight) and try hair ties first? I can't think of a single thing snakeskin can do that they can't, other than cost more and add weight.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OldRagFreeze View Post
    Why not save your money (and weight) and try hair ties first? I can't think of a single thing snakeskin can do that they can't, other than cost more and add weight.
    What are "hair ties"? Is that just rolling the tarp up as though you were going to use the skins, but instead tying the tarp off with a few small cords along the tarps length? If so, that would certainly work also, especially with the tarp vs hammock. Might be worth giving a try. Or is it something else?

Still, I loves me some skins, for tarps or even for hammocks. That has proven very useful and fast when I have had either or both in their own skins. I have found it also helps getting the tarp pitched in high winds. Just get the tarp up ans centered, then slowly come out of the skins, just uncovering enough tarp to get hold of a line or two and get something tied to a tree or stake, then uncover and tie down some more.

For some reason I have better luck getting things done fast with skins than with my stuff sacks open on both ends, but someone else might be just as fast or faster with the other. So an argument can be made either way.

Not for tarps, but for hammocks, I am a fan of just taking the hammock, maybe with an HHSS on it, or a PeaPod or UQ etc left attached, and stuffing the entire thing down into the bottom of my pack or inro a separate large dry sack, which then gets stuffed down into my pack or strapped onto a MollyMackPack (MMP). There are a lot of good ways to get this done.

Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 13
    Insulation
    Cheap Mummy/ Pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Spiders
    Images
    snake skins you can have it ready to go really fast. Doublesided stuff sack requires you to have it already pitched. I personally like looking at the stars as long as possible.
    Bacon and Camping makes me happy.

"When life gives you lemons throw them back"
    Me

I camp in bear country and I am a bear Burrito.

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    What are "hair ties"? Is that just rolling the tarp up as though you were going to use the skins, but instead tying the tarp off with a few small cords along the tarps length? If so, that would certainly work also, especially with the tarp vs hammock. Might be worth giving a try. Or is it something else?

Still, I loves me some skins, for tarps or even for hammocks. That has proven very useful and fast when I have had either or both in their own skins. I have found it also helps getting the tarp pitched in high winds. Just get the tarp up ans centered, then slowly come out of the skins, just uncovering enough tarp to get hold of a line or two and get something tied to a tree or stake, then uncover and tie down some more.

For some reason I have better luck getting things done fast with skins than with my stuff sacks open on both ends, but someone else might be just as fast or faster with the other. So an argument can be made either way.

Not for tarps, but for hammocks, I am a fan of just taking the hammock, maybe with an HHSS on it, or a PeaPod or UQ etc left attached, and stuffing the entire thing down into the bottom of my pack or inro a separate large dry sack, which then gets stuffed down into my pack or strapped onto a MollyMackPack (MMP). There are a lot of good ways to get this done.
    Sorry hair ties are little shock cord loops that people (can't say just women haha) use in their hair in some way or another. All I know is my wife has buckets of them laying around and I snagged three and it worked perfectly. You roll up the tarp exactly like you would for a snake-skin but just wrap the bungies on it instead. They stay on the ridgeline out of the way while the tarp is pitched. There's no need for the full length of material of a snake-skin when all you really need is something on each end and in the middle.

For the hammock I prefer a 'bishop bag.' The whoopie hangs out of the bottom so I just attach that then reach in the bag and grab the other whoopie, drag the hammock out and across to the other tree and done.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I use snake skins and hang but don't deploy like others have said. I am going to try 4 hair ties today and see if it contains the tarp when all rolled up. I like the idea though. Ounces are big game and grams will be shot on sight in my quest to lower my pack weight! This would be a few more grams gone. It adds up.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

Hammock
    Darien UL/WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Geaar
    Insulation
    HG and EE
    Suspension
    Dutch
    You sold me on the hair ties!

Looks interesting, going to try that out! My wife has tons of them.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    The only thing bad about those hair ties is, the elasticity doesn't last long. They get stretched out very easily.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by BajaHanger View Post
    The only thing bad about those hair ties is, the elasticity doesn't last long. They get stretched out very easily.
    Good thing they're cheap as chips.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I love my snakeskins! And that comes from someone that tries to shed all unnecessary weight! Try to deploy a tarp on a windy day, just once, and it will make you a believer!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast