DIY dbl.layer
    Tarp
    DIY camo semi-cat
    Insulation
    DIY IX-UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    *** RAIN TEST RESULTS ***

Or maybe I should say "Storm test results"?!? Like any great story, mine begins with "It was a dark and stormy night . . ."

We've got a great yard for kids and dogs, about 1-acre framed with chain link fencing. The problem I never knew I had until I started hanging is that the only two trees I own are far apart in the front yard and are basically decorative. The only place I've been able to test my hammock gear is in the back yard, strung from the top rail of the pool deck to the corner of a small storage shed attached to the back of my shop. This is where I set up last night for testing. After I had fulfilled my family obligations, (you know, being told by my wife & kids that I'm a crazy fool who will surely succumb to a deadly "rain disease" for even venturing outside in these most perilous conditions) I retired to my still dry nest around 10 pm. I had seen the forecasts for continuous rain, but did not anticipate the amount of wind that gusted most of the night.

Because of the closeness to the back wall of the shop, I couldn't get the angles I wanted for the tarp guy lines on one side, but made it work anyhow. Ideally, the tarp would have been pulled a bit tighter with the better angles, but I figured this would be a worst-case scenario. Plus, the side of the tarp toward the shop was getting pounded by a steady stream of water from the gutter-less roof some 14' above. Amazingly enough, everything inside the tarp was still completely dry, with the only moisture being some water splashed up from the ground. I hung my IX UQ and rolled out my downy TQ, and tossed in a hot Gatorade bottle wrapped in a cozy. The low was predicted to be 43º, so I left the winter sock off, thinking I really wouldn't need it. Hung my little AccuTemp on the suspension and read 57º. I was pleasantly shocked by how cozy it felt once nestled down in there, and drifted off after getting accustomed to the sound of water from the shop roof hitting the ground beside me.

Woke once to pee (how could you not in these conditions?!? ) It was probably around 4 am, and the wind and rain were still pounding away and it felt noticeably colder. My water bottle no longer felt warm enough to help, so I put it in a boot on the ground beneath me. As I laid back down, I noticed some coolness on my back and butt, and fiddled with the UQ rigging a little. It helped, but still the gusts would make their way inside and suck out my warmth. Never was a real problem, but it was then that I realized I needed my sock. Not so much because of the temperature, but because it would have eliminated the wind's ability to get into my UQ. LESSON LEARNED! I eventually fell back asleep, only to be rudely awakened by my hissing alarm at 6:45 am --- "Man, I don't wanna have to get outta here!"

The AccuTemp showed 43º, and had registered a low of 41º. As I was packing my quilts and un-rigging the hammock, I gave everything a thorough inspection: No water whatsoever in or on my hammock & quilts. The underside of the tarp showed no leaks or weeping anywhere. It felt cool and damp to the touch, but when rubbing against it, I didn't get wet. The cat-cut ridge seam that I was most concerned about was totally dry, and even the one lower side of the tarp that got pounded all night from the shop roof's runoff held up perfectly. I'm thrilled - For an <$20 DIY tarp, this thing performed better than I had expected, and in conditions worse than I ever hope to be camping in! I consider it christened and ready for the woods!

So yes, cheap Wally-World Taslite + DIY sil coating will make a nice tarp. Your results may vary, but so far I'm quite pleased with mine!

-Klauss
    My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rexmichaelson

"But hey, 2 trees anywhere is a bedroom waiting to happen, right?"

Hammock
    DIY dbl.layer
    Tarp
    DIY camo semi-cat
    Insulation
    DIY IX-UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Well, just got home from work and the rain has not let up. The back yard at my only hang spot is flooded. I had been planning to test a second night out tonight using my hammock sock made from that mystery material (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=64226), but it aint happenin! I'd have to swim to the hammock.

Will try the sock on the next cold but un-flooded night and report back . . .

-Klauss
    My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rexmichaelson

"But hey, 2 trees anywhere is a bedroom waiting to happen, right?"

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12