Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    The valves on my first one and its replacement were both transparent brown - it's Lexan according to Exped's customer service.

I've been thinking about the inflatable mats. They've got some distinct advantages...most notably packability. They give outstanding insulation for the amount of pack space they take up. And they're comfortable, too.

But consider being three days from anywhere and getting a non-repairable leak. That'll be a consideration for anything I take mine on. I have the skills to compensate, but making a duff bed or something similar each night is pretty time-consuming. Most of my trips are within a day's hike of a road so it's not that big of a deal, but still something to consider.
    jeff... why did you get a replacement for your first pad? if you told earlier, i don't remember.
    i still think the insulated air mats are worth a lot of comfort. a person just needs to know what to do to repair the pad and/or compensate w/ other types of insulation if the need arises.
    i believe the failures are few & far apart, but when they happen, they are talked about.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I had a slow leak. I spent some time trying to find it, but in the end I decided it wasn't my place to compensate for a faulty product. I exchanged several emails with Exped's customer service before exchanging it at REI.

My first response from Exped was something along the lines of "Sorry, but our products don't leak." Um...ok. It leaked on my first tests before I even had it in the field. When I pointed them to several other folks complaining of the same problem, they decided to respond to me a little better and we discussed some details. So I put a note on the pad when I returned it to REI that the factory wanted to see that model...dunno if it ever happened.

At that time I remembered a handful of folks complaining about slow leaks from Expeds and BA insulated pads. IIRC, BA released a statement about a bad batch and exchanged them. Maybe Exped had a bad batch or something, even though they test each pad for leakage at the factory. Or maybe it's something about using the pads in a hammock...they're tested on a flat surface, not with the curvature of a hammock. Not sure how that could cause a leak...maybe stressing the baffles differently or something. (Just thinking out loud here.)

Regardless, I agree with you about the comfort. I'm not taking my pad back any time soon, but it also won't come with me on every trip.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Would the Exped DownMat™ 9 Deluxe which is: Dimensions: 76 in. x 26 in. x 3.5 in. fit in an SPE or is it to wide? The regular one is 70 in. x 20 in. and I know that would be fine, I just wanted something longer. Since most of you don't inflate them all the way, would it fit in the SPE, or should I just get the regular one and stuff a small ccf under my feet?

I got the Exped DownMat™ 9, it's like sleeping on a bed of naked girls, so soft, warm and comfortable. Fits just fine into the SPE even full inflated, even makes the 4x4 version a little usless.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino-lfl View Post
    it's like sleeping on a bed of naked girls, so soft, warm and comfortable.
    Talk about comparison shopping!
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

I have been looking for the DAM 7 on sale..so far no luck..if anyone sees it please post a link

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    I have been looking for the DAM 7 on sale..so far no luck..if anyone sees it please post a link
    If I were the maker of a product that felt like "Sleeping on a bed of naked girls" I dont think I would ever lower the price! JMO.

Tim, you sly dog. BD
    Just Jeff made me do it

the DAM 7 short is on sale plus free shipping..is it worth it because of OAL

http://www.backcountryoutlet.com/out...eping-Pad.html

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird Dog View Post
    If I were the maker of a product that felt like "Sleeping on a bed of naked girls" I dont think I would ever lower the price!
    Lower? I'd hike the price at least 20% and change that to my slogan. "Try the Exped DAM 7. So comfortable, you'll think you're sleeping on a bed of naked girls!"
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images
    It was on SAC a couple times for $60-70. I should have bought it.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast