DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images

Field Test: Modular Underquilt: IX Layer

Time: 01:00 to 06:30

Location: Super-secret (wait, what do you mean "Not a secret any more,"?!) front yard testing area.

Conditions: 50 F at start of test, dropping to 46 F overnight. Winds light and variable. Near 100% humidity.

Top Insulation: Poncho liner top quilt.

Clothing: Thin polyester balaclava (hoping to replace heavier Thinsulate hat with this on trips above 40 F), long sleeve merino base layer shirt, nylon athletic shorts, nylon/spandex compression shorts underwear, thick, loose wool socks. My normal gear for expected-40s lows.

Result: Not a total success. The IX layer of my DIY modular underquilt system is a two-layer, full-length design. I found it adequate for the temperatures described, but would have been chilled had there been significant wind or if the temperature had dropped another five degrees. I was really hoping to get 40* out of this layer, and it just isn't quite enough for that. Ah, well, it'll still get me to 45 fairly comfortably. That's enough for most of the year down here. And it'll still insulate my legs tolerably well when I do the torso heater layers of my underquilt in a week or two...
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks (IGD)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    Clothing: Thin polyester balaclava (hoping to replace heavier Thinsulate hat with this on trips above 40 F), long sleeve merino base layer shirt, nylon athletic shorts, nylon/spandex compression shorts underwear, thick, loose wool socks. My normal gear for expected-40s lows.
    That sounds like my clothing for mid 20s lows. Reminds me of a business trip I had to Pasadena one February. I was walking into the building in the morning enjoying the low 50s warmth in a short sleeved shirt and approaching the entrance from the other side was a local woman with a full length puffy winter coat and ear muffs. We were both looking at each other like the other was crazy. I'm sure at least one of us was

Nice write-up.
    "Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. ... To live only for some future goal is shallow. It’s the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top. Here's where things grow." - Robert M. Pirsig

Subscribe to my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PaCampingDad

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by doogie View Post
    That sounds like my clothing for mid 20s lows. Reminds me of a business trip I had to Pasadena one February. I was walking into the building in the morning enjoying the low 50s warmth in a short sleeved shirt and approaching the entrance from the other side was a local woman with a full length puffy winter coat and ear muffs. We were both looking at each other like the other was crazy. I'm sure at least one of us was

Nice write-up.
    Thanks!

When I'm moving at all, I would definitely be in a short sleeve, shorts, and a visor down into the 40s (unless it was raining and blowing pretty hard, in which case I'd switch to a longsleeve to keep my fingers a little warmer), but when I'm sleeping/sitting around camp I prefer the longsleeve and something to trap heat on my head. My feet get cold pretty easily, too. So...
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HH Asym tarp
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    sounds like your setup is coming along nicely. +1 on going the diy route! Do you happen to have any pics of your setup thus far?

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by THE DANGLER View Post
    sounds like your setup is coming along nicely. +1 on going the diy route! Do you happen to have any pics of your setup thus far?
    Thanks!

I don't have any pics of my IX layer yet...actually that's on the to-do list for today, after I get back from the gym. I still need to add draft skirts and the loop portion of the next layer's Velcro to it, but the photos & video should give an idea of what I'm going for.

Check back around 5-ish tonight; I should have it up by then. If not, it'll have to wait 'till I get home from work tonight.
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Well, the connector cord for my camera has gone missing. I have to head into work early, so no video until I get home.

Will do a Class 1 Search of the house when I get home. Sorry 'bout that.
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Still no luck with the camera cable. This is getting annoying. Mrs. FLRider promised to search at work today; it's possible that she used it for one of her projects there.

If not, I'll give it a go on my cell phone. That, I'm sure I have a cable for.
    --Floridahanger

• + New Posts