Jungle
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    pad
    Suspension
    cinch buckle/strap

short 6-8" "spreader bar" help or hurt?

I was wondering if anyone is currently using a short (4"-8"??) "spreader bar" after the end channel, before attaching to their suspension of choice to help flatten the lie? I saw it mentioned in a very old thread and wondered if it had in fact been used on a Jungle Hammock and if it helped or hurt.
    Thanks much and Merry Christmas!

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    Look up mini spreader bar... It works very well on short hammocks in particular...

Found the link
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=52094
    Last edited by Brute1100; 12-24-2012 at 17:58.
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    Jungle
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    pad
    Suspension
    cinch buckle/strap
    Thanks much! Your comment "works well on shorter hammocks" says it all. Guess I didn't realize it would ultimately approach quantum physics in it's application (40 pg thread, and I read it all!). I'm a "big guy" 6'5" x 250 lbs with BAD knees (need double replacement) and made my first hammock purchase (Claytor JH). Hyper extension of my knees is a killer and absolutely prevents sleep. The JH will be my "test lab". Looks like a short slotted piece of PVC tube and some carefully place knots, might offer additional help if needed.
    Thanks again, and hope you have a great Christmas!
    Last edited by cdesmet52; 12-25-2012 at 08:01.

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    Hey something you can't try is putting something under your knees... Water bottle, small stiff pillow, extra clothes rolled up and lashed together, pack... It helps me, I don't need it all days but sometimes it just adds a little comfort...

I have the plan to do this mod to my grand trunk ultra... The amsteel is on its way, USPS was supposed to have brought it yesterday but whatever...
    Last edited by Brute1100; 12-25-2012 at 14:28.
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    I've experimented... Isn't the mini spreader bar thread about having the spreader between the hammock and the suspension? I tried it integrated into the end of the hammock itself. It worked okay, but not really worth it in my opinion.....HYOH
    The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

Hammock
    Jungle
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    pad
    Suspension
    cinch buckle/strap
    I've tried the stuff sack under my knees and it certainly helps, but......rather not have to go that route all the time. I figure I had to start somewhere if I'm going to make a go of hammocks, and the Claytor JH seemed like a good place to start figuring out what works for me and to minimize the impact on my wallet while doing so. Last thing I want/need is another "gear" addiction!

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cdesmet52 View Post
    I've tried the stuff sack under my knees and it certainly helps, but......rather not have to go that route all the time. I figure I had to start somewhere if I'm going to make a go of hammocks, and the Claytor JH seemed like a good place to start figuring out what works for me and to minimize the impact on my wallet while doing so. Last thing I want/need is another "gear" addiction!
    You could try a tablecloth hammock, if you catch a deal its like $13 and then whip your ends... And your good to go for less than $20 and its big and comfy...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    The CJH is not, in my opinion, a good choice for a big guy. I'm "only" 6-0, and find it too narrow.

I agree with Brute, that tablecloth hammock offers more comfort for dollar spent than anything else out there, and will give you a truer sense of what you can expect from hammocks in general.

I don't understand your aversion to putting something under your knees. Many, maybe even most, of us do that routinely. Dead simple, and it works.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=62832

This is my preferred way to make a table cloth hammock, simple and effective... And easy enough that the second one you make will be done in 20 minutes or less...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    Jungle
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    pad
    Suspension
    cinch buckle/strap
    I know there's a lot of low cost options out there, but I've got something pretty specific in mind (dual use), which limits selection. There's a lot of bigger hammocks on the market but they just don't have the design I'm after. Nice products, just not right for me. I think the JH will be a good "research" platform to work with. If it doesn't work out, or something more appropriate comes on the market, I can always sell it and minimize the $$ hit. One thing is certain, anything I may need to know, is somewhere on this site, and the members have proven to be very knowledgeable and willing to share that knowledge. I know that I learned a lot, and have ideas for changing the suspension, but also was intrigued when I first saw mention of the mini-spreader. I know I have some 1" PVC tube on hand I can fiddle with and sure learned a lot about the concept thanks to Brute1100 providing the link to that thread. I may need to try my hand at splicing as well. All good!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast