Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Okay I'll say this again and then I'll drop it.

Consider winterizing your RV and just carry in what water you need for the weekend or week.

Believe me, if you leave water in the lines you will have freezing and you will have leaks. Small lines will freeze in a matter of hours if not protected properly, and it's hard to do well. Electric heating systems to keep them from freezing will inevitably fail at some point.

When I was a kid we had a camper in the mountains with a well and everything. Every spring we fixed leaks.

It's a lot simpler and less worry just to winterize and carry water in as needed.

There. Old guy has said his peace.
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Haha - thanks for the input! Definitely appreciated. I'm still planning to winterize when I'm well below freezing...when it's hovering around freezing (25+?), I'll take some more chances to have running water. The easier I make it on the wife, the more time I get in the woods!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    When does "to the woods" get an RV section??
    Pimp my RV by JJ.

I will second some things. Winterize it before it gets cold, anything below 40* is time to start draining and purging the lines, unless your keeping it heated the whole time. One cold night can get costly in repairs. I second the water jug trick. It may seem like a mild inconvienence, but in the long run it'll save replace all your plumbing.

HYOH.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Haha - I was thinking about adding an RV section! We'll see...time is in short supply these days.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    That's a beuty Jeff. You are going to get a lot of use out of it I'm sure. What is the GVWR? One thing I learned is that the RV dealers are not forthcoming about liscense requirements. 26K seems to be a federal limit that most states observe. It is no coincidence that many trucks and RV's have GVWR's of 26,000 and not 26,001. I'm guessing your class C fits this category.

I towed my 5er a couple thousand miles before I learned that, although Texas does not require a CDL to drive or pull an RV, it require an advanced operators license for 26,001 lbs GVWR. In my case, I had to have a Class A operators license to tow my rig because 1) the CGVWR of truck and trailer are over 26K) and 2) the trailer has a GVWR over 10K. This was never mentioned throughout the process of my purchase, including my walk-through inspection. I was allowed to tow the 5er away without their ever seeing my DL.

The 2nd thing that was odd is that most of the personell at the DMV were also unaware of the rules, and had to seek advice up the chain of command, about a non-commercial Class A DL.
    We are now ready to start our way down the Great Unknown.We are three quarters of a mile in the depth of the earth.We have an unknown distance yet to run, an unknow river yet to explore.What falls there are, we know not; what rocks beset the channel, we know not; what walls rise over the river, we know not. Ah, well! We may conjecture many things. The men talk as cheerfully as ever; jests are bandied about freely this morning; but to me the cheer is somber and the jests are ghastly. Powell 1869

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Interesting. I don't recall offhand but I think it's on the high end of 25k...I know it's under 26k. Not sure what the rule is when I add the Jeep in tow, though.

We finally got above freezing today so I could empty the tanks. All good there.

Re-winterized, including the outdoor kitchen and shower that had frozen previously. Pretty sure there's no damage in the pipes underneath and the shower's all good, but the outdoor kitchen faucet popped. I was planning on replacing it anyway to something more sturdy so it's (hopefully) a wash as far as cost goes, but it's a good lesson to remember.

Freshwater tank is not under the bed, btw...it's underneath. Confirmed that the black and grey tanks have heaters but not fresh tank. All are basically naked under there.

Might just go with the bottled water for winter trips. I can be dense sometimes, but with everybody telling me it's not worth it...I can learn, too! I still want to add some cold-weather protection to the tanks and lines, though.

Tomorrow - washing all the road grime from the blizzard off and calling the dealer about some minor warranty issues and the faucet.

Then breaking out the Handy Hammock and seeing how they fit together.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Might just go with the bottled water for winter trips. I can be dense sometimes, but with everybody telling me it's not worth it...I can learn, too! I still want to add some cold-weather protection to the tanks and lines, though.
    You won't be sorry Jeff. It's a minor inconvenience compared to finding leaks. Leaks can cause a lot of damage and frustration. DAMHIK.

Cheers and looking forward to stories of great adventures!

HFG

Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    Interesting. I don't recall offhand but I think it's on the high end of 25k...I know it's under 26k. Not sure what the rule is when I add the Jeep in tow, though.
    I can only speak for Texas, but you probably will be OK towing your Jeep. In Texas you need a Class B if your MH's GVWR is over 26K. You need a class A if it is over 26K, or if the combined gross is over 26K, and the trailer's GVWR is over 10K. Most MH's are not towing trailers over 10K, unless it's a Toterhome.
    We are now ready to start our way down the Great Unknown.We are three quarters of a mile in the depth of the earth.We have an unknown distance yet to run, an unknow river yet to explore.What falls there are, we know not; what rocks beset the channel, we know not; what walls rise over the river, we know not. Ah, well! We may conjecture many things. The men talk as cheerfully as ever; jests are bandied about freely this morning; but to me the cheer is somber and the jests are ghastly. Powell 1869

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    Quote Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
    You won't be sorry Jeff. It's a minor inconvenience compared to finding leaks. Leaks can cause a lot of damage and frustration. DAMHIK.

Cheers and looking forward to stories of great adventures!

HFG
    The biggest problem in repairing leaks is that the plumbing is put in place before most of the interior is installed. Consequently the pipes run in places that no man, no matter how inventive can actually access.

Due to Murphy's law, amongst other 'laws' the chances of the leak occurring where it can be reached is negligible.

When you're at the dealer try to sneak a peek ( or get a guided tour) in the repair shop where they're doing something that involves getting into the walls, you'll see something of the construction methods used and have an appreciation for why prevention is way more worthwhile.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by The Old Boot View Post
    The biggest problem in repairing leaks is that the plumbing is put in place before most of the interior is installed. Consequently the pipes run in places that no man, no matter how inventive can actually access.

Due to Murphy's law, amongst other 'laws' the chances of the leak occurring where it can be reached is negligible.
    You said it brother. So I didn't have to.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast