Tarp
    HH Poly. Hex
    Insulation
    HH SuperShelter
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    Images

Tips/Recommendations ( please... ) for a Basic Hammock Camping Gear Kit

Well, now that iv'e got some money im planning on spending it mostly on gear, and gear that will make good combo with what i already have and cover basic needs i use to pass by with other peoples stuff.
    I hope some could tip in and advice on what to get and maybe brands too... important gear, clothes, accesories, etc. i might be missing.

So, this said, I have: hammock+tarp+insulation, alcohol stove, backpack, plastic swamp boots ( really need thos around here), headlamp, multitools thingy , gear hammock, sleepingbag, and a slingshot. Thats it.
    I normally use my casual clothes but i plan on getting nice cold weather clothes just for camping, as well as for some good hiking shoes with goretex. I need some cooking equipments (cup, dish, bowl, fork, spoon).
    I mostly camp on cold wet weather, so im focused on getting a nice paka or jacket, pants and the shoes. I like walking alot, so maybe some hidration system and navigation devices.

I do plan on changing-upgrading many gear i own but first i wanna fill in what im missing.
    Any tips?
    "This is what i love about backpacking... Just clean your stuff by licking it." - Shug

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    mont-bell thermawrap jacket
    platypus 2L with drink tube
    rough riders pants
    you can pro'lly get the imUSA aluminum mug at local market. it is marketed towards hispanic/latin consumers-so you may find it in S. America
    better upgrade the slingshot (jaguars )

dont forget merino wool (from new zealand) its price is high, but quality cant be beat.
    Last edited by te-wa; 12-25-2008 at 12:36. Reason: add links!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Headgear (hat) for hiking.
    Balaclava for sleeping.
    Very basic first aid kit.
    I personally would carry an additional water bottle (Nalgene or Gatoraide), but that's just me.
    You don't need all that cooking gear. A cook pot, a cup, and a spork is all you need.
    I carried a blowgun for a while in lieu of a sling. Great fun!

I can probably think of more, but I've got to go set my ambush for the jolly fat man!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    HHUL & Clark NA & WBBB
    Tarp
    Speer Wintertarp
    Insulation
    SnugFit & Yeti
    Suspension
    Straps, DutchClips
    Images
    Hai,

A good down-jacket,
    Icebraker underware,
    Sealskin gloves,
    GPS (witch is not a replacement for a good compass and a map!)

And some of the above mentioned objects

Good luck!
    Duncan

- not a fan of the spork

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    Icebraker underware,
    Sealskin gloves,
    Haha - I first read this as "Sealskin underwear." Ick...
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    For the Cookware:
    I like my GSI Soloist cookset. It's got a good pot (as light as titanium, but I think it works better since it's not so thin), the lid has a strainer and doubles as the bowl top. The bag it comes with doubles as as sink. My alcohol stove, windscreen, fuel, lighter, spork, and GSI's stainless steel cup/pot fits inside.

I sound like a GSI salesman... I think it's just their prices are fairly good and I'm cheap.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down top & bottom
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by elcolombianito View Post
    I normally use my casual clothes but i plan on getting nice cold weather clothes just for camping ...
    I mostly camp on cold wet weather, so im focused on getting a nice paka or jacket, pants and the shoes. I like walking alot
    Winter here in northern California is cold and wet (rain, sunshine, wind, hail, and big black clouds so far today and it is only noon!).

My favorite things to hike (and bicycle) in in this kind of weather is some kind of lightweight insulating turtleneck made of polypropylene or silk and a wool shirt or sweater over that. I sometimes use a poncho for the rain or a rain jacket - it depends on how windy it is and how much rain there is and how much moving around I am doing. I also use polypropylene fleece gloves because my hands get cold easily. I wear wool socks and lightweight shoes, but I am not walking through swamps!

Right now I use lightweight nylon hiking pants but I am working on a pattern for making my own lightweight wool pants since they will be more comfortable then wearing long underwear under my nylon pants.

If I am staying outside over night I bring some more layers of warm clothes - including a wool cap.

Hammock
    Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti Under Quilt
    Suspension
    Slings/straps
    For a stove I recommend the Bush Buddy. www.bushbuddy.ca I like this little stove because it fits so well into a titanium pot, requires you to carry no fuel and is multi-functional. Not only does it cook at any temperature it also helps to keep you warm and feeds the soul as you watch the fire burn.

Hammock
    HH Expedition A-Sym (Zipper Mod)
    Tarp
    HH Poly. Hex
    Insulation
    HH SuperShelter
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    Images
    Thanks for all the replies.
    So far, i've aquired a 1.5L hydration bladder (oh, this one i really liked, i've already been using it at home, when hammocking in the park... so many other things. went diy for the holder/camelbak. this was the only brand i could find in the local stores, but so far its been nice.), and the "kitchen" gear.
    As for the clothing, the old man (dad) gave me some clothes. Some polyester jackets, and a vest from GAP . The vest is actually really warm and combind with one the fleece jakets, has kept me toasty this night at around 11¨ C and dropping.

The mont-bell down jacket... im must have one, or alike. But i wonder can it be used as exterior shell? Just confused by the "Inner" part. Any ways, thanks for the link Mike. The GSI also is another appealling piece of gear, hopefully my cookst upgdrade/addition. From links i find in these forums i get so many cravings for pieces of gears, and after now having some equipement (including my HH and Clark, ), i start to understand some of the things said arround here about addiction to gear . Very rewarding addiction i think.

Any ways, thanks for the inputs.
    "This is what i love about backpacking... Just clean your stuff by licking it." - Shug

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    The Thermawrap jacket Mike has linked above can certainly be worn as an outer layer.
    Like most lightweight stuff though, the thin outer shell needs to be used thoughtfully, as in when walking in brush, gathering fire wood, etc.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast