DIY
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10 silnylon
    Insulation
    CCF, Exped Synmat
    Suspension
    Buckles/carabiners
    My eating/cooking gear is minimalist:
    GSI aluminum 1L pot (could use a coffee can with wire attached for this)
    Lexan spoon (handle cut down slightly to fit inside pot with lid on)
    Steel cup fits on end of Nalgene (sometimes don't bring this)
    Bushbuddy wood stove clone (DIY)
    Penny alcohol stove (DIY, backup to wood stove)

Navigation:
    Silva explorer compass

Jacket:
    Fleece, with nylon shell parka
    PVC jacket for raingear
    I just get wet if hiking, rainjacket is for when not moving.
    I'd avoid down in cold, wet weather. Fleece and other synthetics don't retain much water, dry quickly, and still keep you warm even if they get wet.

other ideas:
    polypropylene glove liners
    fleece mittens
    nylon mitten shells
    wool blend socks with polypropylene liner socks
    polypropylene long underwear
    polypropylene balacava
    fleece hat
    nylon gaiters (for snow)
    sitting pad (I'm thinking of making one which attaches to the back of my nylon shell)

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    yes. the Montbell fabric is usually 15 denier (thats something like .7oz/yard) outer fabric. If you are looking at the "down inner" jackets/vests I would say they are a great way to boost warmth in your hammock. I have the inner snap neck vest. It weighs 3.7 oz in size small. I really want the down inner Parka (the hood would pro'lly replace a sleeping hat)
    You still need to cover the "inner" jacket with a windshirt if needed, or a rain shirt if needed. Other than that, I think the "inner" jacket (NOT the EX light but the regular 15 denier one) is great down to about 35°F as a stand alone piece. I wear my vest with nothing but a hiking Tshirt in temps around 40 without complaint. Slowhike said it tho, these are UL garments and need special attention when thrashing about.
    FWIW, I combine the vest with a GoLite windshirt and that is my 3 season clothing.
    The Thermawrap is a synthetic garment and less care can be given to it. It can also withstand a light rain. The Patagonia MicroPuff is another well-recieved jacket that is worth checking out-certainly much warmer (and heavier) than the Thermawrap.

Hammock
    Simply Light Tree Runner SL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 8x10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts Top/Btm
    Suspension
    Whoopies!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Haha - I first read this as "Sealskin underwear." Ick...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by elcolombianito View Post
    The mont-bell down jacket... im must have one, or alike. But i wonder can it be used as exterior shell? Just confused by the "Inner" part.
    We get really cold & wet here in Washington's Cascades. You can really help by layering.

Wear a shell on the outside, like Gore-tex. Gore-tex's patent expired within the last couple of years, so they're really pushing their brand name. However, there are a couple of products on the market that actually work better - more breathable. Look up eVent on YouTube. Several brands are coming out in the fall with proprietary fabrics based on it, to include Mountain Harewear and Columbia. I've found that it helps significantly for me if the shell has pit zips. You start to sweat, but you can still vent without too much rain getting in under your arms.

The next layer is a warmth layer, like a fleece or down. I like Patagonia's down sweater or their hooded Nano Puff. I like their Windstopper Tech fleece too. With that, you don't get windchill.

The final layer is a sweat wicking fabric next to your skin, like coolmax. It gets the moisture off your body, so you don't chill.

You can add to your underlayers as you climb higher, or pull them off as you warm up.

I also like a pair of rain pants and some crocks for when around camp.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Insulation
    DIY PrimaloftQuilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I realize that this is a necro-bump thread, but for anyone doing a search, I'll post this info anyway.

There are 10 essentials for most hiking/backpacking. Buy them first:

1. Knife (buy one like your life depends on it, because it just might)
    2. Map (waterproof or with a water proof case)
    3. Compass
    4. Flashlight (extra batteries/bulb are a great idea too)
    5. Extra Clothes
    6. Extra Food (enough for 1 extra day)
    7. Matches
    8. Emergency Firestarter or Candle
    9. First Aid Kit (know what is in it, and how to use it.)
    10. Sunglasses

Most of this needs some form of waterproofing to keep it useable. Unless you understand how to navigate with a map & compass, they can't help you save yourself. Being caught out after dark without a flashlight could have terrible results in the woods. Sunglasses can prevent snowblinding, or save your legs from a fall since you were squinting against the bright. And a knife has too many uses to list (including making an emergency shelter, fire, or tools.) I have most of this in my small hydration pack for day-hikes, there are several small/light options.

Additional items to consider:

Water purification. (Filters, Iodine tablets, bleach, steri-pen) You need water enough to make the whole trip. Drinking stream-water is a bad idea.

Cooking system. How do you plan on eating? Rehydrating food? No-cook? Over-the-top camp chef? http://www.trailcooking.com/ is a great reference.

Bug repellant, sun screen, lip balm, basic hygene items.

Gear repair kit (a broken shoulder strap 12 miles from a road is going to be a horror story that could have been avoided.)

Signalling gear. Mirror, whistle, glo sticks. Something.

Proper clothing. http://outersports.blogspot.com/2007/01/categories.html has a decent guide for many activities. Basically you need to avoid cotton, and have layers to regulate heat.

Rain gear. GOOD QUALITY rain gear. Can make the difference between an annoyance, and complete misery during a trip.

Quality foot wear. Hiking boots, running shoes, something that with not rub you raw or stay soaked for your whole trip.

A guide book to the area you are considering. I've used them to plan trips, then plan an alternate if the first won't work. Saved my bacon a few times.

Fee's for permits or whatever may be needed for the area you are going.

After considering all of these factors, then I would start looking at some ACTUAL gear (sleeping bags, packs, hammock/tarp). The things listed above can absolutely nickel & dime your gear budget to death, but will make a large difference in how your trip goes. That 2lbs sleeping bag for $400 at REI might need to be replaced with a 3lbs sleeping bag for $28 at Costco.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12