Hammock
    Dutchware 11'
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    EE Rev 20
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles

Will single layer 1.7 protect from mosquitos?

Looking to order my first hammock, WBBB. I have been reading that double layer hammocks are best to fend off mosquitos.

Weight is also a factor as I do multi day backpacking trips a couple times a year.

I was wondering if anyone that has experience with single layer 1.7 hammocks will be able to answer this.

I also plan on making a PLUQ. Not sure if that is 3/4 or full length underquoted.

Thanks for any help.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Based on my experience, a single layer of 1.9 oz fabric (or heavier) is the only single layer of hammock fabric I'd expect to offer me meaningful insect bite protection in truly buggy environments, like at the height of spring or in the early summer in either the deep woods or near water. Where the bugs are not that bad, even a single layer of moderate thickness -- like the Multicam Epsilon 1.55 oz fabric on my DIY lightweight hammock -- will offer you decent protection from the more easily dissuaded biting insects, especially if you have even some thin clothing on inside your hammock (so you only have to worry about your exposed skin in contact with the hammock body. Some hammock campers (not me) swear by Permethrin treatment on their single-layer hammocks, and then they worry less about permeability; I prefer having a physical barrier against bites. That said, if you are more worried about avoiding bug bites than going ultralight, choose a double layer of the lightest fabric that will support your weight and rest easy; even light double layers will usually do the trick. HTH...
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 10-17-2016 at 18:57.

Hammock
    Dutchware Halfwit
    Tarp
    HG hex tarp
    Insulation
    EE
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    The single layer 1.7 alone will protect from mosquitos. However, if you use thermal protection such as an underquilt or underpad, you should be fine.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    If you use permethrin on the hammock you won't have to worry about it. I personally prefer an independent bugnet that covers the entire hammock - that way I only have to use permethrin on the bugnet.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I've always preferred the double layer hammocks because they are stronger, more bug proof, allow for the use of a pad if needed, and the weight is not that much more and i can offset the weight by leaving one small item at home if needed. I slept in a single 1.7 last year and got eaten alive by mosquitoes but if there's a mosquito within 10 miles they bite me and leave others alone. I must taste really good.

Hammock
    WBBBXLC/Dutch/WL/DH
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream12
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware/Amsteel
    Images
    I am a mosquito magnet and I live in South Florida. In my experience as someone who has camped many nights in swampy Wildlife Management Areas in the middle of summer I can absolutely say no. An untreated DL WBBB Multicam XLC 1.1/1.9 did not protect me from Florida's unofficial state bird in the Everglades or in the Central Florida swamps. I'm talking about those large Asian tiger and Gallinipper mosquitoes that are as big as quarters. Those suckers can easily bite through two layers of hammock fabric and hiking pants. I don't have a double layer 2.4 Hexon yet so I can't say if a heavier double layer can protect you from those big boys but I seriously doubt it. I can say that the smaller tiger-striped yellow fever mosquitoes are just as aggressive and can bite through a single layer of 1.9 fabric.

That being said, the non-Gigantor variety of Florida mosquitoes do seem to struggle a bit getting through a double layer 1.6 hammock so if that's what normally flies around in your neck of the woods then you might be okay with two layers of 1.7. A PLUQ would help to protect you from getting bitten but you have to be mindful of that exposed arm, hand, or leg that inevitably rolls away from the protective layer. For me I would say whatever hammock you end up with plan to treat it with Permethrin; especially with Chikungunya and now Zika in Florida. I've had Chikungunya, and it's no bueno. Add some kind of UQ or a treated UQP and you should be good to go. YMMV, HYOH, etc.
    Last edited by 2 Samuel 22; 10-17-2016 at 17:11.
    Semper Paratus - Fidelis - Vigilans - Soli Deo Gloria
    | FAITH | FAMILY | FREEDOM |
    Instagram:
    @2ndSamuel22

Hammock
    Dutchware 11'
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    EE Rev 20
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Samuel 22 View Post
    I am a mosquito magnet and I live in South Florida. In my experience as someone who has camped many nights in swampy Wildlife Management Areas in the middle of summer I can absolutely say no. An untreated DL WBBB Multicam XLC 1.1/1.9 did not protect me from Florida's unofficial state bird in the Everglades or in the Central Florida swamps. I'm talking about those large Asian tiger and Gallinipper mosquitoes that are as big as quarters. Those suckers can easily bite through two layers of hammock fabric and hiking pants. I don't have a double layer 2.4 Hexon yet so I can't say if a heavier double layer can protect you from those big boys but I seriously doubt it. I can say that the smaller tiger-striped yellow fever mosquitoes are just as aggressive and can bite through a single layer of 1.9 fabric.

That being said, the non-Gigantor variety of Florida mosquitoes do seem to struggle a bit getting through a double layer 1.6 hammock so if that's what normally flies around in your neck of the woods then you might be okay with two layers of 1.7. A PLUQ would help to protect you from getting bitten but you have to be mindful of that exposed arm, hand, or leg that inevitably rolls away from the protective layer. For me I would say whatever hammock you end up with plan to treat it with Permethrin; especially with Chikungunya and now Zika in Florida. I've had Chikungunya, and it's no bueno. Add some kind of UQ or a treated UQP and you should be good to go. YMMV, HYOH, etc.
    Great info. Im in central Florida and we have those gigantic mosquitos everywhere too. Sad to hear a double 1.1 might not be enough. I've use permethrin on my clothing and packs. I'll give it a shot on the new hammock.

Thanks everyone for the info.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Samuel 22 View Post
    I am a mosquito magnet and I live in South Florida. In my experience as someone who has camped many nights in swampy Wildlife Management Areas in the middle of summer I can absolutely say no. An untreated DL WBBB Multicam XLC 1.1/1.9 did not protect me from Florida's unofficial state bird in the Everglades or in the Central Florida swamps. I'm talking about those large Asian tiger and Gallinipper mosquitoes that are as big as quarters. Those suckers can easily bite through two layers of hammock fabric and hiking pants. I don't have a double layer 2.4 Hexon yet so I can't say if a heavier double layer can protect you from those big boys but I seriously doubt it. I can say that the smaller tiger-striped yellow fever mosquitoes are just as aggressive and can bite through a single layer of 1.9 fabric...
    Brother, as a fellow mosquito magnet safely tucked away in the other corner of the country, I salute your bravery and resolve. I would be scared to hang where you hang in Florida, owing to the dreaded mega mosquitos! I'll take my chances here with the black bears, the cougars, and the normal-sized bugs.

Images
    Yet another reason to own an under quilt protector. This would give you a second layer with a lot of distance between the layers.
    Leave it at home when you don't need a 2nd layer and can even be installed sans UQ on hot evenings.

I am not a fan of doublelayered hammocks unless the hangers weight can not be safely supported with one layer.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Yet another reason to own an under quilt protector. This would give you a second layer with a lot of distance between the layers.
    Leave it at home when you don't need a 2nd layer and can even be installed sans UQ on hot evenings.
    +1

You could even use an UQP made from mosquito netting. That will allow for more airflow. Of course a zippered bug sock will offer most protection.

In my experience, even small mosquitoes can bite through one, two or even three layers when they're pressed against the skin.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast