DIY hammock in 10x10 room?

I am hoping to put a hammock in my 10ft by 10ft bedroom, which I do not want to be sideways. I also want it to look good in there. It will be for lounging, not a bed, and I am only 5ft 3in tall. My question is, how far away from the wall does it need to be, and how far off of the ground (if I hang it in the wall, not ceiling). And what "size" hammock? I reLly want to do thia cheaply, are there any good DIYs? I'm not very informed about hammock things...
    Thanks so much!!

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    About 12 feet times .83 is 10 feet, so (using the starting point of 83% sag, you can have a hammock rig (from connection point to connection point) of about 12 feet. So, figure, at an absolute minimum, six inches of suspension on each end, you could make yourself a hammock about 11 feet long--plenty!

Measure yourself a 12 feet piece of string. Tape one end to the wall where you want the hammock to be, and carry the other end to the other wall. Adjust both ends until the height of the sag off the floor is about where you want the hammock to be. This will tell you APPROXIMATELY how high you want the connection points to be. Most folks like their feet about six inches higher than their head so that their body weight is centered at the bottom of the hammock. I'm sure others "more smarter" than me will chime in. Best of luck! (and WELCOME!!!!!)

Edit again!: Pick up one of these (lots of color choices to match your decor!) Search for a Knotty's method of gathered end hammocks. You really cannot get much cheaper than this and the taffeta is extremely comfortable. Click HERE

How far away from the wall depends on whether you're planning to lay in it head-to-toe or sit in it with a foot line (Search foot lines to see)
    Last edited by Pipsissewa; 12-11-2012 at 14:16.
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    HH explorer deluxe
    Tarp
    hex tarp
    Insulation
    wrapped 2" airpad
    Suspension
    ascenders/biners
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post
    About 12 feet times .83 is 10 feet, so (using the starting point of 83% sag, you can have a hammock rig (from connection point to connection point) of about 12 feet. So, figure, at an absolute minimum, six inches of suspension on each end, you could make yourself a hammock about 11 feet long--plenty!

Measure yourself a 12 feet piece of string. Tape one end to the wall where you want the hammock to be, and carry the other end to the other wall. Adjust both ends until the height of the sag off the floor is about where you want the hammock to be. This will tell you APPROXIMATELY how high you want the connection points to be. Most folks like their feet about six inches higher than their head so that their body weight is centered at the bottom of the hammock. I'm sure others "more smarter" than me will chime in. Best of luck! (and WELCOME!!!!!)

Edit again!: Pick up one of these (lots of color choices to match your decor!) Search for a Knotty's method of gathered end hammocks. You really cannot get much cheaper than this and the taffeta is extremely comfortable. Click HERE

How far away from the wall depends on whether you're planning to lay in it head-to-toe or sit in it with a foot line (Search foot lines to see)
    Ive never tried to make a hammock before, would this material be good for me at 230lbs?
    Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
    Mark Twain

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackd View Post
    Ive never tried to make a hammock before, would this material be good for me at 230lbs?
    that's a good question....
    I will have to check on the DIY tablecothfactory thread.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT '12. AT '14. FT '15. CA '15.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Some people have put 400 lbs. in a single-layer tablecloth hammock. If you're paranoid you can make it a double-layer which should support a small pachyderm.

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Some people have put 400 lbs. in a single-layer tablecloth hammock. If you're paranoid you can make it a double-layer which should support a small pachyderm.
    that gave me an afternoon chuckle....
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT '12. AT '14. FT '15. CA '15.

Thanks for everyone's input! Hopefully this actually happens! The taffeta tablecloth is a great idea. I'd anyone else has advice, I'd love to hear it!
    -Kae

• + New Posts