Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post

I ran into gnats just north of the Smokies. They are more of an issue during the day while hiking; beyond annoying!
    Got a couple of months off from bugs, then found some overly friendly mosquitoes in NY.
    What did you have to use?
    What did you use that you found most effective?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT '12. AT '14. FT '15. CA '15.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I used will-power with the gnats after discovering that DEET is beyond useless with them. I really still hate gnats to this day. When I think about the Standing Bear hostel, I think about frozen pizzas first, then gnats!

The mosquitoes weren't terrible during the day. At night, they were downright brutal for about two weeks. Every stitch of my gear was treated with Permethrin (still is), so once I was under my tarp with all of my gear around me, they didn't bother me much. I used a Warbonnet ElDorado for my hike, which has an integrated bugnet. Once I was in my castle, the mobs couldn't do a thing about it.

There were probably more bugs than I noticed since I was a Permethrin treated hiker from the first step out of the Visitor Center in GA.
    Trust nobody!

I use permethrin as well, only on my clothes so far, but it works wonders. Since I plan on using a 20 degree underquilt for the entire thru during the warmer months I will most likely have the UQ strung up but hanging off to the side as to not overheat. My concern is that mosquitoes will bite right through my single layer hammock. Might have to give that a nice permethrin bath too. How often did you find you needed to re-treat gear to ward off the bugs?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmich View Post
    How often did you find you needed to re-treat gear to ward off the bugs?
    I didn't wait until I "needed" to treat.

I treated my gear about every month, give or take a couple of weeks. If it was made from breathable material, it got treated. That was back in 2008 and after a year of hiking (in sections) the Florida Trail. I also used the ElDorado on the FT and still use it from time to time all the way up to the present. So, that hammock was been getting treatments for going on 6 years and shows no signs of any damage to the material from the Permethrin.

I swear by that stuff!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Next question...

My plan is to use a 20 degree underquilt the entire way. At the beginning of my March start I will use a 20 degree top quilt, then as the temps warm up swap that out for a 40 degree bag.

Anybody have any experience using a 20 degree underquilt the whole way or do you think this would be too much?
    I wouldn't want to carry 20 degree UQ all summer. I would consider one of Mac's IX UQs instead. I have the full length Shamu which I believe weighs 10oz and by most people's standards is good down to the 40s and perhaps lower. My full length 20 degree down UQ weighs 1lb 9oz. My Shamu is one of my favorite pieces of gear once the temps start to rise...plus there is no down to get wet.

Miguel

Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    I wouldn't want to carry 20 degree UQ all summer. I would consider one of Mac's IX UQs instead. I have the full length Shamu which I believe weighs 10oz and by most people's standards is good down to the 40s and perhaps lower. My full length 20 degree down UQ weighs 1lb 9oz. My Shamu is one of my favorite pieces of gear once the temps start to rise...plus there is no down to get wet.

Miguel
    Is this more of a weight concern or a warmth concern. A 3/4 20 underquilt with a M50 shell and Nobul1 liner and 9 oz of 850 down is probably only a couple ounces heavier than your Mac's IX quilt.

Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos View Post

I had a Hennesey Hyperlight. Although in hindsight, I think my first choice of Hennesey Ultra Light would have been preferable.

I have definitelydecided on a tarp with doors though.
    Either the SuperFly or the HG Cuben Fiber 4 season, if I can swing it $$.

The doors would have been invaluable in both GA and ME.
    I used my Hennessy Explorer Ultralite A-Sym both years. In 2004, I think I only saw 4 other hammocks on the trail. 3 HH & one Clark. Now, the choices are fantastic and the prices are lower.

The tarp which came with my HH just covers the hammock. Many nights I would have to pull it close to try to keep dry.

One night while eating, under the tarp in a heavy rain storm, I placed my pad, sleeping bag, and dry clothes inside the hammock. The hammock was sticking about 1 in out beyond the fly. It filled with water, and it was one of the worst nights I had trying to stay warm.

By the time, I got to Maine, I had ordered a MacCat. I just sent it off last week to have doors put on it. I would love a Cuben Fiber, but I can't justify the cost in my mind for 1 pound lighter load.

I wish 2QZQ were around back then.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Is this more of a weight concern or a warmth concern. A 3/4 20 underquilt with a M50 shell and Nobul1 liner and 9 oz of 850 down is probably only a couple ounces heavier than your Mac's IX quilt.
    I guess it's both and since I've always prefered full length UQs that's what I'm comparing. I read about peolple using 3/4 UQs and then carring extra pads or using their packs under their legs /feet. That adds extra weight, it's moves around, is less comfortable and is in general just more of a hassle. If I have a wet pack, it's the last thing I would want to put in my hammock but there are people out there that depend upon it for warmth. If it's even close in weight why not just carry a full length UQ. Plus...it's not down so you don't need to be nearly as concerned about the weather.

I'd rather use a full length IX UQ to save weight than use a shorter down UQ during warmer temps, any day. But that just me. Of course having said all that....I find myeslf shifting to an air mattress for long distance hiking.

Miguel

Miguel

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234