Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware
    I hiked the AT in 2004 & 2005. In 2004, I a HH Hennessy Explorer Ultralite A-Sym & used a 3lb air mat. It was like making love to a large whale. (I'm guessing on that) I got a JRB Nest toward the end of my hike and loved it. The coldest it got at that time was in Maine at @ 18°F

In 2005, I used both the Nest and a 16 oz 3/4 Therma Pro lite until it warmed up and then I ditched the pad.

I also had a JRB Weather Shield - Under Hammock, which added several degrees plus protected the Nest from rain, and blocked the wind.

I plan to hike it again in 2014 and I'm not sure what my setup might be. I now also have a 20°F Phoenix from www.hammockgear.com

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    So Miguel, is this right: removing a nylon layer of hammock from between you and the Neoair pad warmed you up significantly, and warmed your feet up as well? And did your back dry out also? Or do you attribute this increase in warmth to something other than getting the pad out of the sleeve? Very, very interesting!

And about the noise: are you talking about a popping sound, like when you pop the bubbles in packing material? I did not notice it much with a Neoair All Season in the pad sleeve of a JRB BMBH, but when I laid on the floor with it it popped like crazy. When I laid on it again next day, the popping noise was much reduced but still there. Has me wondering what all of that is.

Putting this pad inside the JRB BMBH pad sleeve totally did away with any shoulder issues and also allowed me to sleep full fetal with no problems. And felt pretty comfy, and way too warm at the temps we had a few days ago. I love the idea of being able to replace an UQ with a pad. Especially on trips where I even occasionally end up above timberline. Normally I count on my sit/leg pad for that rare emergency go to ground situation. But using a 2.5" Neoair for hammock insulation doesn't weigh much more or take up much more room than an UQ. And it sure would be a lot less miserable on the ground than my WM blue leg pad.

But I'm not sure I don't still prefer the MW UQs/BMBH combo for comfort over the pad/bmbh combo. 1st, the shoulder issue does not really bother me much any more. I am plenty comfy on my back anyway, and I really like the way the top quilt seems to be "funneled" down onto me, very snug. Most of all I like to get on my side and lean back into the side of the BMBH, and the sides support my back very well. And the MW UQs go up high around the sides providing me total warmth. It's a little less stable doing that with the pad, plus the area I lean on won't be insulated unless I figure something out with a piece of CCF. Now, there is enough room on my side where I don't have to lean into the side, but I do like to do it.

Then again, a pad/hammock combo that is pretty comfy is just so much more secure than an UQ. No moisture issues, I don't think wind would be as much of an issue, and good to go for any ground or shelter situation that might arise. Sigh. ( hopefully all of the above relates to the OP of UQ and sleeping pad? )
    Let me start by saying that was my first full night using the Xlite so I'm still figuring this all out. I think having the Thermarest Zlite in the hammock while the Xlite was in the sleeve, prevented my entire upper body from being able to heat the air in the mattress. The Xlite may have heated up in the sleeve if I had simply removed the Zlite. My problem seems to be....I need wings. It's difficult creating wings that fit in the sleeve with the Xlite. (I tried) It's VERY easy to put wings under the Xlite when it's in the hammock with you. As I said before I cut a Thermarest Zlite in half. It weighs 6oz, packs pretty small (accordion) and is the PERFECT width to go under the pad/mattress and cover your shoulders.

Regarding noise...I have heard some of the older ones and they are VERY noisy...not sure what causes it. I can say mine is not noisy at all.

I may consider some other method of attaching smaller wings independently...kind like in a SPE but without the SPE. There has to be a solution. Here's a thought outside the box....how about something you wear...sort of like body armour...a thin pad that wraps half way around your upper arm and is held on by two elastic straps.

In any event I'm going to try out the Xlite in the sleeve but without the Zlite. I'll bet it warms right up.

I also thought I should add...a couple of times in the Smokies the fog was so heavy I really got concerned about my ability to keep my down UQ dry. A few straight days of that and you might as well leave it out in the rain. That would not have been a concern with a pad/mattress. Things like this might not be that important on shorter hikes where you know what the weather will be but on long hike you better be prepared for all scenarios.

Miguel
    Last edited by Miguel; 12-06-2012 at 00:05.

Next question...

My plan is to use a 20 degree underquilt the entire way. At the beginning of my March start I will use a 20 degree top quilt, then as the temps warm up swap that out for a 40 degree bag.

Anybody have any experience using a 20 degree underquilt the whole way or do you think this would be too much?

Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos View Post
    I thru hiked the AT this year.

In GA, I used an UQ and sock , although I had trouble using the sock. (I ditched that after several tries.)
    What was the main problem you had with the sock? I'm thinking about using one myself in 2014. Was yours a DIY? Also, what type of hammock did you use?

Thanks

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneThing View Post
    What was the main problem you had with the sock? I'm thinking about using one myself in 2014. Was yours a DIY? Also, what type of hammock did you use?

Thanks
    I had no prior experience with it.
    A vendor made one and sent it to the hostel the day I left.
    I was very thankful for his efforts, but I must have been left a few sandwiches out of the picnic when I was subsequently endeavoring to use it.
    For at least 5 nights in a row. It got really irritating. So I sent it back.

I am SURE just user error.

I had a Hennesey Hyperlight. Although in hindsight, I think my first choice of Hennesey Ultra Light would have been preferable. I just think the material on the Ultra light was much more 'stable', for lack of better words.
    The Hyperlight lost nothing as far as durability, or strength, to anything during the entire trip. Just personal preference I think.

I am going to go the route of the Darien UL by Papa Smurf when I save up the funds. I was going to go with a Warbonnet as one of my hiking buddies used one. She loved it. And very easy set up.

I have definitelydecided on a tarp with doors though.
    Either the SuperFly or the HG Cuben Fiber 4 season, if I can swing it $$.

The doors would have been invaluable in both GA and ME.

Anybody have any experience using a 20 degree underquilt the whole way or do you think this would be too much?
    I think too much for the entire way.
    It got really really hot in PA. very high 90's and 100's from like Harper's Ferry on. I got a summer bag in Harper's for $64 . I used it about 3 weeks.
    Then back to normal set up. (no UQ)

In NH and Maine, I would have used an UQ if I didn't have a pad.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT '12. AT '14. FT '15. CA '15.

Dos,
    When did you encounter bugs on your thru? How bad were they and how did you deal with them?

Thanks

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    Dos,
    When did you encounter bugs on your thru? How bad were they and how did you deal with them?
    Honestly, I did not have a problem the entire way.

There was one time in GA when the weather was 40 and rainy one day, and then 60 and warm the next that they were a bit bothersome.
    But honestly, they didn't bother me much.

I think one time on Rangely Lake in Maine, when I zeroed for 2 days due to
    the intestinal bug that was going around, I used some kind of insect wipes someone had sent me, and they worked great for that one time use.
    I did carry repellent, but by PA, I sent it home.

Fortunately, I do not have the smell or blood type they like alot.
    I ate garlic and onions when I could

I knew one girl who EVERY MORNING, would lather up the Deet and then sunscreen. It was some kind of ritual for her. And she wore Goretex gaitors
    (which were very very hot).

I used sunscreen maybe twice, and the wipes once or twice.

There were a couple of times while hammocking that I was very happy for the bug net on my HH. I could hear them buzzing all night, but they couldn't get to me.
    If they were bad at all, it's late anyway.
    Cook, go to bed and zip my hammock up
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yeah I'm not too worried about bugs while hiking during the day. However I use a hammock that does not have an integrated but net, so I was curious as to when I should have that sent to me.

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    Yeah I'm not too worried about bugs while hiking during the day. However I use a hammock that does not have an integrated but net, so I was curious as to when I should have that sent to me.
    I would think that is year to year specific depending on how harsh the fall and then subsequent winter is.

I got really really lucky with my weather.
    I can probably count the days of rain on one hand that I hiked.
    I think the others I managed to be near a town and zero or something.

I feel quite fortunate
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos View Post
    I feel quite fortunate
    You should!!!

I ran into gnats just north of the Smokies. They are more of an issue during the day while hiking; beyond annoying!
    Got a couple of months off from bugs, then found some overly friendly mosquitoes in NY.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast