Henny Asym
    Tarp
    Hex-Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Adjustable Slings

Down-Proof, Breathable, and Stretchy?

Anyone know of a fabric with these characteristics? Ideally something synthetic, but a blend would be okay, too. I want to try an UQ with a form-fitting interior surface that will stretch around the hammock when occupied for a air-tight seal with the insualtion. Closest thing I've found is PU coated lycra blend--doesn't sound too comfortable to lay on, though!

TCB
    www.hammockforums.net --I get it!

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    I don't know of any fabrics with those characteristics but if you make an uq with a stretchy inner material won't you compress your insulation?

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    I'm no expert but I'd think that any fabric with enough strech to form fit under your weighted hammock is not going to be down proof.

If you want to give it a try though, you could cut the inner shell of your UQ on the bias if using ripstop nylon. It will stretch much more that way than the normal in line cutting allows.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Montbell uses a stretchy downproof fabric in their sleeping bags. Not sure if it's something available to purchase somewhere or if it's manufactured just for them.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    Henny Asym
    Tarp
    Hex-Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Adjustable Slings
    Montbell has adapted a classic tailor's trick by integrating a woven fabric "cut on the bias". By orienting the fabric's warp and weft threads at 45 degrees to most major seam lines the sleeping bag becomes more fluid or elastic in nature.
    Found this on a review of one of their bags. Sounds like what I'm looking for . In addition, it sounds like whatever fabric Montbell uses has some natural stretch, as well. They mentioned "coiled fibers" so perhaps they use a very tight nylon "knit"? Anybody heard of such a thing (sounds comfy, though)?

I don't think I'd need very much stretch (certaintly nothing like spandex or what have you), nylon on a bias combined with proper seams would probably be enough. I'm mainly looking at this as a way to eliminate "air bubbles" between a hanging/sagging UQ and the hammock, and to tension-close the edges of the UQ.

I was going to use extra-tall baffles that would allow some stretch of the inner layer so chambers can collapse a bit, but not enough to affect insulation. That must be what Montbell does, since their exterior is a simple 12D Nylon with DWR.

TCB

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    I think this sounds like an interesting idea. Go for it. You won't be laying on it, so the feel of the material won't matter too much.

Hammock
    Henny Asym
    Tarp
    Hex-Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Adjustable Slings
    Looking at Thru-hiker, it appears I only have a few options for "officially" downproof fabrics. M50 sounds like it's a bit to airtight for an inside layer, and could trap water vapor. Pertex is described as being more breathable, does anyone know if it has much (if any) stretch/give on the bias? What about M50 (if it's breathable enough), does it have any give?

I haven't yet figured out how to (efficiently) make large sheets of bias grain fabric (Google only shows how to make tape ), but I'm guessing it's tedious and involves Frankensteining big chunks of bias-cut squares together. If anyone knows of a pattern for doing this that wastes the least material, that'd be very helpful. With the inner layer taught/stretched, I don't think the fabric would need to be much over 3ft wide.

I could do a down-proof layer (M50) and a breathable layer atop that (between hammock and quilt) from thinsulate or something, but that seems like a lot of extra weight/bulk, that could be avoided if I use a breathable downproof fabric. Would a vapor barrier setup like this be needed for a 20F quilt?

(I also gotta find a line on some 1" grosgrain so I can continue production on the hammock; I need to stop putting the cart before the horse with this UQ project!)

TCB

• + New Posts