Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    For a backup, anyone want to consider the campground on the AF Academy? Here are a few benefits:
    - It's right off the interstate and the roads are likely to be clean if snow moves in.
    - There are plenty of day hike or overnight opportunities. I'll volunteer to lead a hike up Eagles Peak, subject to weather. Pretty amazing view of the Academy and Colorado Springs. Bring binos and probably YakTrax. We could all hike up, and anyone who wants to camp up there can stay overnight...you can see an amazing sunrise but you have to time it right b/c it's COLD AND WINDY on the exposed peak. Camping spots are pretty well protected, though. It has a small stream but I don't know the status...should be plenty of snow and ice to melt, though.
    - It's a tourist thing, if anyone wants to visit. I could show y'all around the terrazzo where normal tourists don't get to go.
    - It's open to the public from the gate to the campground (by the stadium) and to the Visitor Center (where we would park for the day hike). Just need a driver's license.
    - It's near restaurants for the after-hang lunch.
    - It has wi-fi for updating HF about the hang.

Downsides:
    - It's mainly an RV campground...may get some generator noise, but we'd also likely have some company with folks asking about hammocks.
    - There's a railroad track relatively close.
    - No firearms on federal installations, if that's a concern for you. But we have cops with M-4s so you should be safe.
    - It has wi-fi for updating HF about the hang.

Obviously it's not a wilderness thing like we usually do, but it's a fair backup plan if y'all want to consider it. It should be open no matter what the weather does, and there's a lot of flexibility for Saturday hike/camp if weather is good.
    I'm not a car camper Jeff if this is the preferred location I'll turn the lead over to you.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    It honestly doesn't make a difference to me...I was just offering it up as an option for backup. I get to see this stuff all the time! I'll be happy with whatever the group chooses so we get more folks there.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Camo Clark NX 250
    Tarp
    Custom Smokehouse
    Im all for OnB's second spot. Ive seen the air force academy. I want o get out and away from civilization for a few days and really break in/ test my new gear!
    Rules to live by:The Wizards Rules
    Anything can be solved by the proper application of High Explosives. Or a shot of whiskey...
    Meaning of the EOD Badge
    Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) is a science of vague assumptions based on debatable figures derived from inconclusive experiments, performed by persons of doubtful mental capability with instruments of problematic accuracy.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    It honestly doesn't make a difference to me...I was just offering it up as an option for backup. I get to see this stuff all the time! I'll be happy with whatever the group chooses so we get more folks there.
    Yes, me too.
    Not sure what the turnout will be.
    Last year we attempted 2 winter hangs there were 4 at the first and 3 at the 2nd. The last one we had to bail early do to high frigid winds and it was at Kenosha.

It's a tough one in the winter, getting good weather, folks with the proper gear and desire. I don't expect more than 6 it's not like a summer or fall hang.

If we do pack in and someone needs a high volume backpack I have 2 I can loan. Both are +65L internal frame 1 is XL one is L with some adjustment.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Isheian View Post
    Gah?! So two 6 gallon containers full to use and share may be a bad idea..... so much to learn about winter camping.
    If you plan on leaving them near the car, these will actually work (I have the six-gallon blue styles, with fairly large spigots). As long as you do the same trick as out n back - place them upside down in snow - they'd be fine. Snow insulates right around/above freezing, so that works. Now, if there isn't enough snow to do that...
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    EE Rev / Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Watching with interest and still "in." The only concern I have at this point is my slightly over-stuffed 3-season quilts and if they'll do the trick in to the low teens and south!

Where ever you go, there you are?

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Plan A

So Kenosha Pass is Plan A. I prefer the Air Force Academy for Plan B. I think we will get better attendance with a drive in hang. A GROUP hang is not intended to provide solitude.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    To be clear on the USAFA hang, we could meet up Friday at the campground so folks who may have inadequate gear have a car nearby. Saturday could be a day hike for some and an overnighter for the ones who don't like car camping.

(Not pushing this as a location...just offering info.)

And just FYI - the Eagles Peak hike is relatively short, but pretty steep. It'd call it strenuous, but it's easy to take it slow.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

Hammock
    Camo Clark NX 250
    Tarp
    Custom Smokehouse
    Ultimately I am down either way. The archery range at the Air Force academy is pretty awesome, assuming its even still there. Ought to be in the same general area if memory serves. Any fishing nearby Jeff?
    Rules to live by:The Wizards Rules
    Anything can be solved by the proper application of High Explosives. Or a shot of whiskey...
    Meaning of the EOD Badge
    Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) is a science of vague assumptions based on debatable figures derived from inconclusive experiments, performed by persons of doubtful mental capability with instruments of problematic accuracy.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The archery range and fishing areas are still available. For fishing, you need a state license and a base permit, which you can get from Outdoor Recreation. It's only a few bucks, IIRC. Not sure what you need for archery.

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast