Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Isheian View Post
    Hopefully my gear will arrive in time for this! I should be fine... So long as there is wood to burn. I just found this and was kinda hoping for the wolf preserve again, but this sounds cool as well. Plus anyplace vetted by OnB has to be worth a look see. And i dont have classes friday thru sunday. Should be able to make it, like 89%...

Whats the stats? Water available assuming snow is lacking? Driving directions or way to find them? Also, anyone heading up from colorado springs, it be useful to have someone to follow up.
    No water source this time of year. I'm scouting the area this coming weekend so will have snow conditions to report. There is lots of wood.

Quote Originally Posted by fartingOWL View Post
    I'm in. Gotta get back to my natural habitat
    fO it will be great to hang with you again.

Images
    The parking and campground are very easy to find.
    They are right on Hwy 285 at the top of Kenosha Pass.
    There is lots of signage at the top of the pass.
    The car camp ground for Friday night is on the East side of the road.
    The planned hike backcountry hang for Saturday is about 1 mile West.

Hammock
    Camo Clark NX 250
    Tarp
    Custom Smokehouse
    So what's the plan for water with it below freezing, and possibly not just lying on the ground?
    Rules to live by:The Wizards Rules
    Anything can be solved by the proper application of High Explosives. Or a shot of whiskey...
    Meaning of the EOD Badge
    Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) is a science of vague assumptions based on debatable figures derived from inconclusive experiments, performed by persons of doubtful mental capability with instruments of problematic accuracy.

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuban
    Insulation
    3S Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Isheian View Post
    So what's the plan for water with it below freezing, and possibly not just lying on the ground?
    I guess bring what you think you'd need if there was no other sources, then pack in the necessary amount once you get there and see conditions. Then sleep with your water at night to prevent it from freezing, unless Bob knows another trick.

I see the temp is forecasted to be a high of 12* with 40-50% chance of up to 1" of snow.
    Last edited by trailryder42; 01-08-2013 at 21:37.

Hammock
    Camo Clark NX 250
    Tarp
    Custom Smokehouse
    Quote Originally Posted by trailryder42 View Post
    I guess bring what you think you'd need if there was no other sources, then pack in the necessary amount once you get there and see conditions. Then sleep with your water at night to prevent it from freezing, unless Bob knows another trick.

I see the temp is forecasted to be a high of 12* with 40-50% chance of up to 1" of snow.
    Gah?! So two 6 gallon containers full to use and share may be a bad idea..... so much to learn about winter camping.
    Anything can be solved by the proper application of High Explosives. Or a shot of whiskey...
    Meaning of the EOD Badge
    Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) is a science of vague assumptions based on debatable figures derived from inconclusive experiments, performed by persons of doubtful mental capability with instruments of problematic accuracy.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by trailryder42 View Post

That's my plan.
    I like using thick nalgene 1L bottles and metal bottles that can be set by the fire to thaw them. Over night I'll bury the nalgene's in the snow, top down.

For my morning coffee and breakfast I'll put water in my pot and don't really care if it freezes. It just takes a little longer to boil. In winter you don't want to skimp on fuel. Melting snow and bringing frozen water to a boil takes a lot so I double what I think i'll need.
    ============

Weather forecast for this weekends scout trip looks pretty bad with that big cold front coming in. I'll decide Sat morning if the scout trip is on. I might just take a drive up there, snap a few picts and head home.

Colorado weather is so hard to predict I want to post again if we do not get good weather( blue skies, no wind, 30/10F) for the first week in Feb I don't want to try a hang at Kenosha, been there done that, no fun.

I want to apologize to those thinking of driving any distance to attend this hang for being so up in the air about canceling or moving the date of this hang.
    Anyone that lives on the front range of the Rocky Mountains knows a winter camp out can turn into a survival test pretty darn fast. It's the wind.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 01-09-2013 at 11:29.

Hammock
    Camo Clark NX 250
    Tarp
    Custom Smokehouse
    Should we have a fall back location incase of foul weather?
    Meaning of the EOD Badge

Images
    Should Kenosha Pass be too windy the alternate location will be White Ranch.

Info and map to White Ranch
    http://jeffco.us/openspace/openspace_T56_R57.htm

1 mile hike in from parking lot.
    Free camping, cut and split wood is provided.
    No water source unless there's snow on the ground.
    Nice day hiking/snowshoeing trails with open views.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    For a backup, anyone want to consider the campground on the AF Academy? Here are a few benefits:
    - It's right off the interstate and the roads are likely to be clean if snow moves in.
    - There are plenty of day hike or overnight opportunities. I'll volunteer to lead a hike up Eagles Peak, subject to weather. Pretty amazing view of the Academy and Colorado Springs. Bring binos and probably YakTrax. We could all hike up, and anyone who wants to camp up there can stay overnight...you can see an amazing sunrise but you have to time it right b/c it's COLD AND WINDY on the exposed peak. Camping spots are pretty well protected, though. It has a small stream but I don't know the status...should be plenty of snow and ice to melt, though.
    - It's a tourist thing, if anyone wants to visit. I could show y'all around the terrazzo where normal tourists don't get to go.
    - It's open to the public from the gate to the campground (by the stadium) and to the Visitor Center (where we would park for the day hike). Just need a driver's license.
    - It's near restaurants for the after-hang lunch.
    - It has wi-fi for updating HF about the hang.

Downsides:
    - It's mainly an RV campground, but it has lots of trees. We'd likely have some company with folks asking about hammocks.
    - There's a railroad track relatively close.
    - No firearms on federal installations, if that's a concern for you. But we have cops with M-4s so you should be safe.
    - It has wi-fi for updating HF about the hang.

Obviously it's not a wilderness thing like we usually do, but it's a fair backup plan if y'all want to consider it. It should be open no matter what the weather does, and there's a lot of flexibility for Saturday hike/camp if weather is good.

I'll check on any issues with hanging hammocks if y'all are interested, but I don't expect any prohibitions.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    There is tons of great winter hammock kit / sleeping gear need to stay warm over night here on HF.net but not much talk about clothing esp around camp in winter.

The system I have used for the past 4 winters has proven very warm.
    When hiking I wear silk long underwear, thick nylon pants, silk LS top, micro fleese 1/4 zip pull over, and heavy wool top shirt (boreal shirt) wool socks, winter hiking boots with gaiters, light wool gloves. For my head a wool watchmans cap and sun glasses.

In camp after chores are done I'll change my socks to dry ones, remove the heavy wool over shirt(boreal) and slip on syn over pants and a heavy down jacket.

disregard the knee, elbow pads, and helmet they are for winter bike packing.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast