Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images

EGL Spring 2022 > Paddle Back to Chicamoula

Hello all,It's been quite a while since an upcoming EGL trip has been posted on the forums. Between concern over Covid, a respect for public health guidelines/restrictions regarding outdoor gatherings, lock-downs and even park closures, I think we've been sensibly cautious with small gatherings. But now, being fully vaccinated and boosted, I feel like this might be the right time to resume something I've enjoyed so much over the years; trout, stout and a few good louts.

It's with that in mind that I'm proposing "a scattering" or a "hang alone together" if you will. Algonquin's McIntosh is a fairly large lake with quite a number of campsites. If we book individually or in small groups, then we should be able to make social distancing a little easier. I've already booked for May 13-19th. At the time of reserving, the 13th was the earliest Algonquin was issuing backcountry permits.

So hopefully we'll have some interest in this. It'd be nice to get the EGL up and running again.It'll be good seeing your responses either way.

Cheers
    Reminder: Do Not Reply Here. Please Post Your Replies On The Planning Thread Below

Link to Planning Thread can be found HERE
    Last edited by Chard; 01-23-2022 at 12:46.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Looking to setup a group buy for down, from Feathers Inc.

Spring is almost sprung and it's time for a few down projects, at Lofty's get together, Chard asked me if I was interested in getting some down to help fill out an order to Feathers, which I was .... sent in a request for current pricing and got some additional info. For small orders previously, the minimum was 2+ pounds with a 20% price penalty .... that has been changed, any order under 10 pounds, is double, over 10 pounds is a 20% penalty up to a whole bag, which of course is not penalized.

Looking to purchase Feathers Inc CAN 95/5 white goose down, 850 FP, which is about the best they have .... the order currently stands at 4 pounds, so if there is 6 pounds of interest in this group, the purchase can move ahead.

Down cost is $125/pound, minimum 1 pound, I have agreed to break down whatever we buy, into the ordered amounts. Pickup would be in Bowmanville and/or via other folks or arrangements at a hang ... would prefer not to get into shipping if I can avoid it. That price is per bag and DOES not include any small order penalties ... a firmer price will be determined once we have the interest to proceed (FYI no penalty cost is 7.81/oz, with 20% 9.38, plus tax) ... so it is a reasonable deal, if we get above 10 pounds.

Since this is a planning thread DO NOT REPLY HERE ... PST ME WITH NAME/AMOUNT/EMAIL AND I WILL SET UP FROM THERE

I will give it a few days to see who is interested and send out an email to everyone who responded

Brian

EGL Island Lake reconnaissance

I'm going to Island Lake near Noganosh PP for 4 days, Aug. 5-8 (Fri-Mon) to do some reconnaissance and I'd love some company. I think Island Lake could be a good spot for this group to meet up at but I want to scope it out first. I'd like to see if there are any sites big enough to handle 5-10 hammocks, I'd like to see how the parking works out, and I'd like to explore one of the many loops that can be done from Island Lake.

This area is a conservation reserve so there are no site fees, but also no thunder boxes nor portage signs. I will launch from the municipal boat launch at Bennett’s Landing on Wahwashkesh Lake. Each car will need to purchase a parking permit for $40 from the municipality but I have room in my car and canoe for one (coming from Guelph) and I believe the permit is for the year so you could come back another time too. underserviced and I made it from that approximate location to Island Lake in about 4.5 hours last summer by following Farm creek. Farm Creek twists and turns but there's only 2 very short (~50m) portages. Once on Island Lake there are a handful of campsites. I'll be honest, I've only ever used one of them but I've seen people on 2 others and Kevin Callan's "Top 60 Canoe Routes of Ontario" says there are 8 sites within 1-2km of the outlet from Farm Creek, including 2 on opposite sides of an island in the far south-east corner of the lake, only 2km from the outlet of Farm Creek. I want to see if that would be a good spot for a large group.

Once I've scoped out the camp sites I plan on doing the 2-day Dutton and Wolf Lake loop starting from the north end of Island Lake. Kevin Callan has written about the Dutton and Wolf Lake loop, so while I've never done it, I'm pretty confident that it can be done. However, I don't know if the portages will be well marked, maintained or wide. If you like to explore, use your map and compass, and don't mind a few small challenges, then the Dutton-Wolf Lake loop might be for you. Frankly, anyone that did the 2400m portage to McIntosh Lake in May of this year can handle the Dutton-Wolf Lake loop.

Depending on how quickly I make it around the first half of the loop, I may have time to explore getting to Duck Lake. Kevin's book says the portage into Duck Lake is 1400m but as the crow flies it's only 600m. Maybe it's a typo and it is 400m. I don't think it could twist and turn enough to become 1400m.

If I make really good progress I would also love to see if we can get from Duck Lake to Dutton Lake. www.myccr.com says there is a 300m portage out of Duck Lake to a small lake/pond and my topo shows a creek from there to Dutton Lake. I'll have to see how much time I have and how adventurous I'm feeling.

Either way the plan is to make it back to Island Lake for night 3 and then paddle home on day 4.

If you're interested and can get the time off work/away from the family let me know.

theyland

Reminder: Do Not Reply Here. Please Post Your Replies On The Planning Thread Below

Link to Planning Thread can be found below

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...reconnaissance

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 5.0
    Tarp
    Skjold 10
    Insulation
    Fjol Winterlight
    Suspension
    Amok cinch buckles
    NEW DATES! Check the link again, post #11 for details.

Quote Originally Posted by theyland View Post
    I'm going to Island Lake near Noganosh PP for 4 days, Aug. 5-8 (Fri-Mon) to do some reconnaissance and I'd love some company. I think Island Lake could be a good spot for this group to meet up at but I want to scope it out first. I'd like to see if there are any sites big enough to handle 5-10 hammocks, I'd like to see how the parking works out, and I'd like to explore one of the many loops that can be done from Island Lake.

Link to Planning Thread can be found below

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...reconnaissance

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    EGL Fall 2022 - EGL HEADS NORTH TO TEMAGAMI!!!

EGL HEADS NORTH TO TEMAGAMI!!!

Keewaykeno's been championing this trip for a while, so maybe it's best that I just quote him here verbatim.

We've tossed around a Temagami trip for a while so let's give it a shot this year, assuming the world doesn't go completely to hell in the interim. Setting dates early will give help those who need to plan far ahead to set the time aside.

The Friends of Temagami folks suggested the last week of September is optimal for fewer people, no bugs, great fishing and good chance of decent weather.

I'm proposing six nights from Tuesday Sept. 27 through Monday October 3. This provides a longer trip for those who can get away but also a shorter weekend opportunity for "marshmallows".
    My research suggests a good access point with decent roads is the Sportsman's Lodge where there is secure parking for a nominal fee. I will correspond with the owner for details once I have a sense of how many are interested to ensure he can accommodate the numbers.

Our destination will be Donald Lake, only two short (295 m. and 860 m.) portages. Map below.

For those who follow him in YouTube this was Jon's (then 'Backcountry Angler' now 'Lost Lakes') favourite lake before he moved north of Superior. The North end is said to be reminiscent of Killarney, with good sites and fishing with several day-tripping opportunities. This lake is within the non-operating Chiniguchi Waterway Provincial Park ... so no permits required. That's right Highboy, FREE (except for the mortgage you'll need for the gas to get there).

OK, so who's interested (and actually may be able to go)? Not talking commitment, just want to get a rough idea of numbers. I'll give it a week before I reach out to the Sportsman's Lodge.

Cheers,

KeeWayKeno

So there you have it! Temagami this fall!

I'm pumped! Any other takers?

As always, please reply on the trip thread only.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    EGL Trip Reports:

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images

EGL Spring 2023 Backcountry Canoeing

Hi all,

I just wanted to kick off planning for conoeing this spring. Personally, I'd like to be able to throw in a line and perhaps catch a few trout. My first thoughts would be coming in at either Rain, Tim or Magnetewan and hitting the lakes and creeks of the area. I think there's still a mid-May backcountry opening, but that might change.

Anyone interested?

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    EGL Trip Reports:

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    EGL - Gearing Up For Winter Hang, Jan 12-14, 2024 - Valens Lake Conservation area

Hey all,

I'm hoping everyone is having a safe and jolly holiday season.

I'd like to send out an open invitation to one and all to join the EGL in ringing in the new year in one of the best ways possible, cold weather hammocking and hot tenting with friends while enjoying delicious foods around a roaring fire.

For the newcomers, this is a great opportunity to not only test your winter hammocking gear, but to check out other setups and talk to others about how they've addressed the same winter challenges.

Venue: Valens Conservation Area / Jan 12-14, 2024.

Hopefully we'll have some nice crisp weather.

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    EGL Trip Reports:

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Planning thread for Spring trip May 2024 here:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...L-Ice-out-Hang
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456