Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images

EGL Gearing Up for Winter 2014-2015

With the snow starting to blow up north, it's high time we started thinking about everyone's favorite excuse to get out and do some laid back hanging and BBQ'n. Those who've come out before know the Gearing Up hang as an excuse to lolligag, roast meat and get a relaxing night's sleep. Newcomers get a chance to test out their winter rigs in a controlled environment and see how others have managed to take Old Man Winter's best shot and survived to tell the tale.

It's be best to wait and have the hang when we're pretty sure of getting some cold weather. Daytime's not a problem, we usually have a nice fire going and night time, well, that's when we get to tuck ourselves in hammocks and drift contentedly off. I think somewhere within a week or two of New Year's sounds about right, so with that in mind, I'm going to suggest Saturday Jan 10, 2015 as the main night, with Friday Jan 9th for the early birds. Personally, I'm pretty flexible around dates.

Valens Conservation Area seems to fit the bill pretty nicely for this kind of hang. It's a drive-to, so the cars are on hand to pack in extra supplies (and/or blankets) and provide a bail out option if things get too uncomfortable. There's a heated washroom with showers next to the site and that's pretty hard to beat! Of course, depending on the turnout and the weather we might want to turn this into a proper back-country hang, but let's see where this goes.

Everyone's welcome, if even just to join us for lunch or dinner and there's no lack of trees to hang from.

The official planning thread can be found here. Please do not to reply to this thread here.

Cheers,

Chard
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images

EGL Winter Backcountry 2014-2015 Planning

Where: Options are Kawartha Highlands PP, Silent Lake PP, Algonquin PP or Crown land somewhere north of Simcoe. Hike in for an hour or so and set up camp preferably by a lake.

When: Choice of either Feb 20-22 or Feb 27- Mar 1

Everyone's welcome.

Please do not to reply to this thread here. The official planning thread can be found here.
    Last edited by Chard; 12-26-2014 at 15:12.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    EGL Trip Reports:

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images

Spring's in the air!!!! Time to revarnish the paddles, tie up a couple of new flies and get the old dehydrator going.

There's a lake I've known for many a year that I have some unfinished business, business in the form of a small plastic bottle of Laphroaig left behind on an earlier hang a couple of years back.

McIntosh is a beautiful lake with decent fishing and one major portage. We'd head in through Canoe, paddle the long stretch to Tom Thomson, portage two kilometers and snake through Ink Creek into McIntosh. No better way to bring in the paddling season.

Proposed Dates Avoiding Mother's Day Weekend:
    1. May 15-17th - Just after Mother's Day and before the long weekend.
    2. May 1-3rd - With this cold winter, likely to be too early.

Will be on another paddle May 20-24, so that's out.

Hopefully we'll be able to pull off another awesome camp meal or two. Everyone's welcome for a laid back, family-friendly weekend.

As usual, please post all response on the trip planning thread found here.

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    EGL Trip Reports:

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images

>Canada>Ont>EGL Fall 2015 Canoeing

Hi Gang,

It's been a while but on my drive back from Wasaga Beach yesterday my girls suddenly screamed in terror. I freaked and asked what was wrong!?! A huge spider? Beetle? Was there a chipmunk in the car? No. They told me that they had just seen a maple start to change colour, a sure indicator that the summer was almost over and school was about to begin.

So another EGL canoe hang is definitely in order. We lucked out last year with what has to have been the most gorgeous weekend I had ever spent in the Park; a veritable riot of colour.

When:
    I'm thinking the end of September 25-27 with the possibility that some of us might want to stretch that out a bit and start on the Thursday Sept 24.

Where:
    Something not too far in. Algonquin's Pen Lake (Island or Beach) have done well for us. We might even be able to get a little fishing in. Ragged or Parkside Bay might work as well.
    For a change we might want to consider Massasauga Provincial Park or even Killarney, although Killarney may prove too far for most.

Post your feedback on the trip planning thread here.

As usual, please do not post a reply on this thread

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    EGL Trip Reports:

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Winter is Coming

Just heading into Thanksgiving day weekend here in Canada and I was thinking that this would be a good time to get a Valens hang underway.

When? Well it depends on the weather but let's get some feedback on the following dates. Some extra wonderful recipe ideas would be well received.

Option 1: December 11-13
    Option 2: December 18-20
    Option 3: Jan 8 - 10

EGL Deep Freeze Hang
    Believe it or not, we're just around our 20th EGL hang and I wanted to put out a proposal about doing an extra long EGL Deep Freeze Hang this season. There's a chance that some chaps out of the UK will be joining us to do some winter camping in the Great White North and frankly I can think of no better hosts than our own EGL crew to show them around. They're planning on being out for roughly nine or so days, so I was thinking that if some of us couldn't swing the whole extended week, then two back to back weekends, or even just one, would be feasible. We could base camp the first weekend in one location and then camp the following weekend in another, giving them the midweek to make their way overland between the two. Also, such a long trip might also justify a change in venue; some new scenic Crown Land or even Killarney. Options, options, options... I'll start a separate thread for the winter hang in a bit.

Winter is Coming!

Planning Thread Here

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    EGL Trip Reports:

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I thought Valens was closed in December.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images

EGL Winter Hang 2016 - Winter Is Here!
    Double Weekender Hammock/Bushcraft Hang
    Jan 29, 2016 - February 7, 2016
    Hey all,

Believe it or not, we're just around our 20th EGL hang and I'd like to do something extra special to mark the event; a back to back two weekend winter hang somewhere spectacular like Killarney Provincial Park or the like. Of note, a couple of chaps out of the UK will be joining us this year. I ran across a post on the BushcraftUSA site looking for information on doing some extended winter camping in Ontario and I thought it would be a blast to show these guys our backyard and get some serious winter camping in at the same time. They're experienced winter campers and have even done a winter survival course in Sweden. After quite a few emails and a long telephone call I got the sense that these gents would fit right in. While we're still trying to work out the details, they seem keen to just come out and spend a long week in the bush.

So with that being said, here's one possible trip plan:
    The Hang starts in our normal manner on the first weekend with us snowshoeing in a couple of kilometers, setting up a basecamp and lollygagging in style. The midweek period would be an opportunity to do a light cross country trekking for a couple of nights to the location of the agree upon basecamp for our second weekend. If we did Killarney and the conditions permitted we might even think about trying to summit Silver Peak mid-week. That being said, the Hang might look something like this...

• 1st Weekend - basecamp near (within 2km) highway (Fri, Sat, Sun)
    • 2 days in and establish basecamp at foot of Silver Peak (Mon, Tues)
    • 1 day to summit Silver Peak* and return to basecamp (Wed)
    • 2 days out back to 2nd Weekend Basecamp (Thurs, Fri)
    • 2nd Weekend - new location basecamp near (within 2km) highway (Sat, Sun)

Killarney's not the only option on the table. If fishing and natural shelter-building are a priority then Crown Land may fit the bill better and I'm open to any suggestions people might have. Either way I think it would be a hang to remember. Gear could run the entire spectrum from ultra-light to heavy, depending on what part of the hang you're interested in. Just be sure to inform yourselves on the challenges of keeping warm during extended periods in the bush, particularly as it relates to down quilts.

NOTE: Of course there's absolutely no requirement for everyone to join us for the entire ten day hang. Between work schedules, holiday vacations and a not wholly unjustified and probably perfectly reasonable apprehension about staying out in the cold for so long, maybe the full ten days aren't feasible. If you can't join us for the entire week, then maybe one or more portions would suit your fancy; come out for a weekend or two, join in on the mid-week trekking. The choice is yours. We'll try to clearly mark where the basecamps will be so people can come and go as they please.

So let's get the ball rolling.

Post your feedback on the trip planning thread here.

As usual, please do not post a reply on this thread

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    EGL Trip Reports:

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge/superfly
    Insulation
    Adict
    Chard's given me his 'approval' to make this an official EGL trip. Planning thread below.

Algonquin in Springtime.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...pringtime-2016

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Canada>Ont>EGL Fall 2016 - Autumn Algonquin Paddle

Hi all,

Sorry I haven't been around much of late, but life's full of curve balls. Anyway, it's time to make amends. Anyone up for another frolic in the Park? Maybe do a group stew or two (Chow'da, Goulash, French Canadian Pea Soup)?

When: Sept 30 - Oct 2, 2016 or Oct 7 - 9, 2016
    Where: One of Ralph Bice, Tom Thomson, Burnt Island, Big Porcupine

If you have a date preference just chime in. Seems like most of are paddling solo these days, but we'll see what we can do about teaming people up if necessary. Note fishing season ends Sept 30, so this'll likely be a hook-free outing.

Planning Thread Link

Just a reminder, please post all responses on the planning thread.
    Last edited by Chard; 08-31-2016 at 18:20.

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    EGL Trip Reports:

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Sorry, it looks like you'll all have to wait a bit longer for my pot roast. I'm currently in the medical planning stage. Have a great trip all. I will miss all of you.
    Hope to see you all sooner rather than later.
    Cheers!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast