Page 85 of 86 FirstFirst ... 357583848586 LastLast
    I used the hot water bottle trick with a genuine hot water bottle. It worked fine the first night, but the 2nd night it leaked.

I then tried using a miniature schnauzer in place of the bottle. He was just as warm and never cooled down, but I found out that he snored -- LOUDLY!

The next time, I think that I'll try a Nalgene bottle.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GW Sears View Post
    I used the hot water bottle trick with a genuine hot water bottle. It worked fine the first night, but the 2nd night it leaked.

I then tried using a miniature schnauzer in place of the bottle. He was just as warm and never cooled down, but I found out that he snored -- LOUDLY!

The next time, I think that I'll try a Nalgene bottle.
    The Nalgene HDPE (labeled UVPE on bottom) is hard to beat. $7.49 for the 32oz. https://www.amazon.com/Nalgene-HDPE-.../dp/B001E6M2W8

It is rated to 248°F while the other common ones are 212°F (boiling). Both are fine but I like the UVPE for winter. They don't hold their shape going from hot to cold (they kind of implode) but go back to normal when warm water is put back in. Never a leak. I used to put the 16oz ones inside my boots to warm up in the morning, perfect fit.

Hammock
    DIY WINTER HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    Diy Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Dutch gear
    Images
    I'll have to try this
    Its a good day to be out in the woods no matter the weather.Mist One..

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    If these are the softer shell - rather than hard plastic - bottles, they may not “leak” but you may need to pay more attention to tightening the cap. English is such a fun language. If I put water in a bottle, and there is some crack in the container, and water seeps out, clearly we say the bottle leaks. Now if I don’t screw the lid on tightly, and I turn the bottle on its side and some water dribbles out - do we say it leaks. Probably not; because I didn’t tighten it. Or I didn’t tighten it enough. Now if I tighten it, but as the temperature changes, the lid gets a llittle looser, and water dripples out, is it leaking? Because if I just crank down on the lid and retighten it, the dribbling stops. So that’s sort of the same situation as not tighening it enough in the first place.

I have several of those soft plastic nalgene bottle and if I put really hot water in one, I have to pay attention to cranking that lid on tight. And maybe checking it again after the water has cooled a bit.

Whatever the case, if you are using it as a warming source, you’ll want to put it in somehting like a sock or bottle cozy so there is some barrier between the bottle and your skin. Try it once without that barrier and you’ll understand.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Great tips, haven't heard about it before!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    If these are the softer shell - rather than hard plastic - bottles, they may not “leak” but you may need to pay more attention to tightening the cap. English is such a fun language. If I put water in a bottle, and there is some crack in the container, and water seeps out, clearly we say the bottle leaks. Now if I don’t screw the lid on tightly, and I turn the bottle on its side and some water dribbles out - do we say it leaks. Probably not; because I didn’t tighten it. Or I didn’t tighten it enough. Now if I tighten it, but as the temperature changes, the lid gets a llittle looser, and water dripples out, is it leaking? Because if I just crank down on the lid and retighten it, the dribbling stops. So that’s sort of the same situation as not tighening it enough in the first place.

I have several of those soft plastic nalgene bottle and if I put really hot water in one, I have to pay attention to cranking that lid on tight. And maybe checking it again after the water has cooled a bit.

Whatever the case, if you are using it as a warming source, you’ll want to put it in somehting like a sock or bottle cozy so there is some barrier between the bottle and your skin. Try it once without that barrier and you’ll understand.
    Not the HDPE. It's not milk jug soft. Basically the standard Nalgene threads and bottom, but the overall walls can be squeezed a bit. More so when hot. Nalgenes are the gold standard IMO. If there's any leakage, something is wrong.

Hammock
    LSOH Warrior Edge
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    LSOH Toaster UQ
    Suspension
    Not settled…
    The schnauser may be the off brand nalgene equivalent. My dachshund brand doesn’t snore

-9*C we were toasty without the HWB, though I have purchased a Nalgene 32 oz. And the OR insulated sleeves to try that out in the next few months.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Various DIY; Fronkey Bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY/Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY/Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dyneema/Evo Loops
    Gotta love a Doxie pic!!
    Last edited by Wkerber; 12-18-2023 at 16:32.
    Bill

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Although I’ve not used a hot water bottle, a Nalgene bottle, etc in my hammock….

If I did that, I’d put hot water bottle inside a couple ZipLock bags. I think someone else has already done it with success…I don’t know!

If you get a bit cold, it’ll make you tougher!
    Hey look at George, he is froze solid!

Hammock
    Banyan Bridge or Haven
    Tarp
    Dutchware Xenon
    Insulation
    LocoLibre, UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    Nalgene helped me out on a cold trip this spring.

• + New Posts
  • Page 85 of 86 FirstFirst ... 357583848586 LastLast