Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images

Using A Hot Water Bottle To Stay Warm

I just got back from doing some hikes at The Buffalo National River. The first night got down to 20* and the second night was about 24*. I had my 5oz Climashield XP Top and Under Quilts, as well as my windshield heat reflector. I believe that Jeff has talked about boiling water and pouring it into a Nalgene to use as a hot water bottle. I decided to try this the second night and WOW, THIS WORKS GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I usually have a problem getting my toes to warm up, but not with this. It instantly warmed up my quilts and was still warm 8 hours later that morning. I do not care if I have to carry another fuel canister just to have to do this, this is awesome, and I'm sure that you could extend the range of a bag/quilt by doing this. Just thought I would post this for all yall that are thinking of ways to stay warm, this is very easy and takes no time to do at all. I hope it helps yall out.

Dwight
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    This comes up from time to time, and is a great tip. Let's sticky it.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC
    I love this trick and have been using it for years (even back in the ground dweller days and in a few real cold apartments I lived in.)

I found another use for this trick a few weeks ago when we got an 8 week old puppy. The first few nights we put a Nalgene with hot water in a sock in the pups crate at night. Between the warmth of the Nalgene and the ticking of a clock we stuck in the sock, he slept through the night like he was still with his mom.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DGrav View Post
    I found another use for this trick a few weeks ago when we got an 8 week old puppy. The first few nights we put a Nalgene with hot water in a sock in the pups crate at night. Between the warmth of the Nalgene and the ticking of a clock we stuck in the sock, he slept through the night like he was still with his mom.
    That's cool!

This is a wonderful trick and works splendidly. I have used it several times for those nights when you just can't get warm for whatever reason. Placed right against the Femoral Artery and you can feel the warmth through your body almost immediately.

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Placed right against the Femoral Artery and you can feel the warmth through your body almost immediately.
    That is exactly where I placed it at first, and it is almost instantaneous. I cannot believe I never tried this before.

Dwight
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Images
    I love this trick. The best is putting it in your setup 5 minutes or so before you get in. Makes for getting in a warm bed.

Another thing that usually gets me is going to bed cold. I wait until I'm chilled to get in. It makes it harder and it takes longer to warm up for the night. The trick for me is get in bed before I'm chilled.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    So is a sock over the nalgene the prefered method?
    I'm curious, just exactly how is this bottle staying warm for up to 8 hours?
    Gotta give it a try myself.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    I didn't use anything, the best that I could figure was that the quilts kept it insulated enough. Now it wasn't real hot in the morning, but it still kept my hands warm.

Dwight

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Yep, the sock keeps you from making direct contact w/ the plastic bottle since it has very hot water in it.
    The sock no doubt helps to insulate the bottle & slow the heat loss... or heat distribution to you, so that helps the heat to last longer.
    My hot water bottles are still warm next morn.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Never tried this trick but I am interested in it and will probably give it a try this weekend. To get a few things straight. You boil the water and dump it in the bottle right? Seems simple enough, my real question is do you fill it FULL of boiling water or only a cup or two of boiling water? Also do you put it in a large plastic bag or anything to safe guard against leaks?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 86 1231151 ... LastLast