Wife Made
    Tarp
    Wife Made
    Insulation
    Wife Made
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Bridge Hammock?

I have a burning desire to convert to hammock camping to replace my tent, but absolutely can not get comfortable in my 11' long home made one. After much deliberation and "poking about" I've decided that a bridge hammock might be the answer I'm looking for. I am planning on buying a JRB Bear Mountain Deluxe. Does anyone have any experience with this particular hammock? Are there alternatives, what recommendations or suggestions do you have? For reference, I'm 6'00, 165#. Thanks, and help keep me off the ground (if possible)!

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    You may want to also consider the BMBH UL and the WB RidgeRunner. Good luck to you.
    "No whining in the woods"

I had a BMBH and really liked it but I prefer the Warbonnet Ridgerunner. The RR just seems more comfortable to me and has a unrestricted view when you are laying down and absolutely no shoulder squeeze.

Hammock
    DIY 11 footers
    Tarp
    Chinook
    Insulation
    AHE and GoLite
    Suspension
    Webbing cinch
    Images
    +1 for the Warbonnet RidgeRunner.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    +1 for the RidgeRunner. I love it!
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY SilArgon
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Synthetic
    Suspension
    Line/strap
    Images
    Another thumbs-up (okay, both thumbs....) for the RidgeRunner!
    "You'll never get a Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole." Capt. H. P. Crowe, USMC; Guadalcanal, 13 Jan 1943

'I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals. I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown

"Everything takes longer once a cat gets involved." sm

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Both good choices with slightly different feels. With the coming sales, may be a great time to buy!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    I've tried a Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock at a group hang and wasn't a huge fan of it. It was a pretty solid hammock, but I preferred my gathered end hammocks.

The Warbonnet Ridgerunner, however, is a crazy comfortable hammock with a really ingenious storage solution. I liked it so much that I bought a no-net version for winter camping.

Images
    I have not yet tried the WB Ridge Runner, but I bet I would love it, and might even like it better than my original removable net model BMBH or my JRB BMBH UL.

Then again, I have been a major fan of the BMBH for several years now. Another way of putting it is: it has really grown on me over the years. I like it better now than I did a couple of years ago. I have never had an uncomfortable night in it, or a cold night in it.

I'm suspecting- and people are reporting- that there is a good bit more shoulder room with the WB, especially compared to the original model( the BMBH UL model seems to have a bit more shoulder room, I think just because it is not as deep as the original model). But I guess because I have just gotten so used to it that I'm not sure I even care about the extra shoulder room. For example, though the UL model has noticeably more shoulder room than the original, I'm not at all sure I don't still prefer the original over all. ( still deciding that ) Despite the lack of shoulder room, still I have never had a bad night in it and most of my best nights have been in it, never a problem with legs or waist/side twist. Plus here is the surprising part: by the end of last winter, I started wondering if the narrowness in the shoulders- the U shape curve - was not actually an advantage with TQs. It might be my imagination, but I have been starting to think that I actually have an easier time keeping my TQ tucked, avoiding drafts. Maybe not, but has been seeming that way. Anyway, combining the TQ "fit" with the perfection with which the JRB MW UQs work with this hammock, perfect fit every time and wrapping well above my shoulders, I have had some very toasty nights in this hammock. ( and that is not even counting how well a BMBH works with a pad, far better than any other hammock I have used )

Any way, I figure most folks are going to go for the increased shoulder room in the WB - even though that requires wider bars and maybe more contact with a tarp. And once I try it, I might well feel the same way. But as it is, I'm a big BMBH fan. Plus, in this hammock I am so quick to go a little or all the way on my side. I like to lean back into the steep side walls of this hammock. But the shoulder room issue becomes kind of moot when I do that.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 11-21-2012 at 17:18.

Hammock
    Wife Made
    Tarp
    Wife Made
    Insulation
    Wife Made
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    What do you guys think of the bug net support on the ridge runner? I really, really don't like how high it has to hang on the tree, seems like it would be in the way of the tarp getting a nice tight pitch. With regards to the shoulder room, I was just curious if anyone had both hammocks and could definitely state that the ridge runner is more comfortable because of the increased shoulder room. I'm not very broad shouldered and I tend to sleep on my side a lot, so I'm wondering if it would be an issue. The bugnet and the wider head end pole are a major downfall in my mind as compared to the BMBH. Any other comments, because I'm ordering tonight. Thanks!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast