Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Hammock
    12' arrowhead
    Tarp
    Nube'
    Insulation
    SMr inferno set
    Images
    Like your article. All part of picking the correct camp site. Well phrased for the inexperienced. A good remind to us "old sourdoughs".

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Thank you so much! Lots of great advice. I need advice about how to mark this as a favorite. I tried the FAQs with no luck.
    BTW, I made my whoopie slings with a hot color for the head (orange) and a cool color (blue) for the feet, so that I can easily orient my hammock the way I want to. (I'm using snake skins.) The color coding really makes things easy!

Hammock
    ENO
    Tarp
    Kelty, Noah'sTarp9
    Insulation
    MerinoWool,
    Suspension
    WhoopieSlings
    Makes Sense, but does not make Cents. $700 seems way too steep. My 20 degree bag $200, and generic air pad $20 do plenty. I am a car camper with AWD. I get as far as the National Forest Roads will take me. I have been comfortable down to 35F and don't see a reason to go camping if it gets colder than that. I sleep / wear merino wool. Ibex clothing is top notch gear www.ibex.com . You can comment that it is expensive gear, but I can do more than sleep in it. Looks good out on the town, and does not leave the funk of polyester dri-fit. Could the old coot be sippin too much whiskey before bed time. Those night sweats could be a sign of cancer (serious). Honestly, I would love your setup, but it is budget prohibitive. Not every camper has got discretionary funds like the OP.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc55410 View Post
    Makes Sense, but does not make Cents. $700 seems way too steep. My 20 degree bag $200, and generic air pad $20 do plenty. I am a car camper with AWD. I get as far as the National Forest Roads will take me. I have been comfortable down to 35F and don't see a reason to go camping if it gets colder than that. I sleep / wear merino wool. Ibex clothing is top notch gear www.ibex.com . You can comment that it is expensive gear, but I can do more than sleep in it. Looks good out on the town, and does not leave the funk of polyester dri-fit. Could the old coot be sippin too much whiskey before bed time. Those night sweats could be a sign of cancer (serious). Honestly, I would love your setup, but it is budget prohibitive. Not every camper has got discretionary funds like the OP.
    This post seems to be misplaced from another thread...It has nothing to do with the article about techniques...

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Well written article. As a hammock newbie it helped me to understand the use of under quilts year round and site selection - using the winds to my advantage.

Thank you!

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Tarp
    DD TARP
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Good information. I winter (hammock) camp and have never (don't own one) used an under quilt. "Never"

Peter Pan thank you for taking the time and effort to share this info. Im just beginning this journey and this article helps me a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post

Old coots know that soft plucked down makes the nest warm and cozy. They don’t try to make sticks work and the smart hammock hanger won’t try to make pads work. Get a down under quilt.
    Hello, I'm not sure what you mean by "don't try to make sticks work". "Sticks" as in making a fire out of sticks for warmth? Mm probably not it.

Hammock
    HyperD 1.6 DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    PolyD 4000 Cat hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies and hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by AyeJay View Post
    Hello, I'm not sure what you mean by "don't try to make sticks work". "Sticks" as in making a fire out of sticks for warmth? Mm probably not it.
    Birds make nests from sticks, but pad and insulate the nest with feathers and down. He is saying not to insulate with things that are stiff and uncomfortable, i.e. pads. They have too much structure and aren't comfortable... no to mention being hard to stay on top of. An underquilt will, without exaggeration, change your hammocking life. Period. The moment I got the ad out of my hammock and strapped on an underquilt I knew things would never be the same again.
    Cheers,
    The Goat

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Goat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AyeJay View Post
    Birds make nests from sticks, but pad and insulate the nest with feathers and down. He is saying not to insulate with things that are stiff and uncomfortable, i.e. pads. They have too much structure and aren't comfortable... no to mention being hard to stay on top of. An underquilt will, without exaggeration, change your hammocking life. Period. The moment I got the ad out of my hammock and strapped on an underquilt I knew things would never be the same again.
    That, plus coots are birds.

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast