Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    Now that I am thoroughly confused by the thread,how come I have never had a moisture issue when using my 2QZQ
    UCP with my HG Phoenix 20? Note: about 18 years ago I tried playing with a Space Blanket along with my HH Super Shelter and had significant moisture so I gave up on that altogether.
    18 years? Wow, you were using HHSSs even before me, which is 15 years and 1 month for me.

Five Tango, I know it has been a really long time, but can you remember if you had that space blanket right under the hammock and snug up against the hammock, with all insulation below the space blanket? Because my worst case scenario is maybe a tablespoon of water under the hammock, on top of the space blanket, at the low point under the bottom entry so it did not even touch the hammock or get anything wet. Plus of course, it was kept out of all of my insulation. OTOH, I have had some significant condensation, naturally, when I tried to use the HHSS without the space blanket. I got away with that once or twice, but finally it got me by soaking me. I never tried that again, and never had problems again. That was the 1st night for a week in the soggy Olympic Mountains, and I was bone dry the rest of the trip.

I think the HHSS finally bit the dust after all these years, and is no longer being made. I guess they finally decided the whole VB thing is just too much for most folks to figure out. Or, maybe it is lack of demand.

When using a snug fitting UQ, or a Pea Pod, I would not hesitate to put a space blanket between my hammock and the UQ(or PeaPod) if I needed a 10 or 15 more degrees. Or if I was concerned with keeping all body moisture out of my down insulation on a longer trip, maybe expecting little sunshine. And I can still do that with my bridge hammocks or any other hammock with traditional UQs. But lately I have been using a Superior Gear insulated hammock. Which has been super warm forit's rating and weight. But, I don't see a way to add a space blanket to it, unless I clipped one to the sides and lay directly on top of it. Which I don't think that would work very well. So, I suppose if I decide I want a VB with this insulated hammock, I will just have to use my VB clothing.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Which I don't think that would work very well. So, I suppose if I decide I want a VB with this insulated hammock, I will just have to use my VB clothing.

That is the bottom line for me, at least if backpacking (likely snowshoeing!). The
    Lightheart Gear rain jacket and pants being the ideal options for the job, as best I can determine.

(BB58, I know you remember this... just re-linking for those new to the discussion.
    )
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    18 years? Wow, you were using HHSSs even before me, which is 15 years and 1 month for me.

Five Tango, I know it has been a really long time, but can you remember if you had that space blanket right under the hammock and snug up against the hammock, with all insulation below the space blanket? Because my worst case scenario is maybe a tablespoon of water under the hammock, on top of the space blanket, at the low point under the bottom entry so it did not even touch the hammock or get anything wet. Plus of course, it was kept out of all of my insulation. OTOH, I have had some significant condensation, naturally, when I tried to use the HHSS without the space blanket. I got away with that once or twice, but finally it got me by soaking me. I never tried that again, and never had problems again. That was the 1st night for a week in the soggy Olympic Mountains, and I was bone dry the rest of the trip.

I think the HHSS finally bit the dust after all these years, and is no longer being made. I guess they finally decided the whole VB thing is just too much for most folks to figure out. Or, maybe it is lack of demand.

When using a snug fitting UQ, or a Pea Pod, I would not hesitate to put a space blanket between my hammock and the UQ(or PeaPod) if I needed a 10 or 15 more degrees. Or if I was concerned with keeping all body moisture out of my down insulation on a longer trip, maybe expecting little sunshine. And I can still do that with my bridge hammocks or any other hammock with traditional UQs. But lately I have been using a Superior Gear insulated hammock. Which has been super warm forit's rating and weight. But, I don't see a way to add a space blanket to it, unless I clipped one to the sides and lay directly on top of it. Which I don't think that would work very well. So, I suppose if I decide I want a VB with this insulated hammock, I will just have to use my VB clothing.
    I think it's been about 18 years since I played with the space blanket and the HHSS so I honestly can't remember.
    However,now that I have embraced "the downy goodness" of a 20 degree HG Phoenix 3/4 UQ and the Argon 2QZQ ucp my cold misery and sliding off pads is a thing of the past.I do have some open cell foam pad at the foot end of my hammock when needed plus a small piece of reflectix to use elsewhere in the event of a cold spot.

Additionally,I carry a netted Dutch side zip 11 foot Xenon hammock year round as the net helps hold some heat in the hammock.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post

That is the bottom line for me, at least if backpacking (likely snowshoeing!). The
    Lightheart Gear rain jacket and pants being the ideal options for the job, as best I can determine.

(BB58, I know you remember this... just re-linking for those new to the discussion.
    )

Yep, I remember! I have a VB shirt that I love, as well as socks and gloves. All I lack is pants. I have used my breathable rain pants as a substitute. I have never understood how that can work, but people say it does, and indeed it seemed to when I tested it during my personal best of +6F inside a "sock" i.e. the top and under cover of a HHSS. Plus a frost bib. All was bone dry the next morning except for that frost bib, which was supposed to be wet. So I suppose the breathable pants, under leg insulation and TQ, actually worked as a VB. At least as a "good enough" VB, as there was no apparent condensation or moisture anywhere other than the frost bib.

I suppose I should get some "real" VB pants. Do you like those rain pants? They are not all that inexpensive.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    I think it's been about 18 years since I played with the space blanket and the HHSS so I honestly can't remember.
    However,now that I have embraced "the downy goodness" of a 20 degree HG Phoenix 3/4 UQ and the Argon 2QZQ ucp my cold misery and sliding off pads is a thing of the past.I do have some open cell foam pad at the foot end of my hammock when needed plus a small piece of reflectix to use elsewhere in the event of a cold spot.

Additionally,I carry a netted Dutch side zip 11 foot Xenon hammock year round as the net helps hold some heat in the hammock.

I hear you! I go multiple ways, most of which work for me with pros and cons. HHSS still works for me, but I have done it all kinds of ways. I guess I enjoy experimenting. Right now I am into an insulated hammock. The ONLY thing I have not liked about it so far is not so easy to boost with my space blanket, not that I have needed to so far. But like I said, I can just use my VB clothing if I feel a need, probably works better as a VB anyway.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I'm going to play around with these more this winter if I have time. Now that I cheat and use a hot tent for every trip, I'll likely do VB testing at home.

My VB bag liner was pretty comfortable the first time I used it, but I still had some moisture on the top quilt...I guess from my breath.

Hammock
    GE ; RR ; Vertex ; Tentsile
    Tarp
    HG Cubens W/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti, Wookis, Lynx
    Suspension
    dyneema strap/ring
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I'm going to play around with these more this winter if I have time. Now that I cheat and use a hot tent for every trip, I'll likely do VB testing at home.

My VB bag liner was pretty comfortable the first time I used it, but I still had some moisture on the top quilt...I guess from my breath.
    You sleep in a tent ?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    My thoughts......
    A bit damp but warm when I played with VBs.
    Like sleeping inside a hammock sock. Damp but warm.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rouskof View Post
    You sleep in a tent ?
    It's a "hot tent" but still set up for using the hammock. But it doesn't solve every issue; the stove runs out after a couple hours and you're back to sleeping in the cold. So it's not all fun and games.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    It's a "hot tent" but still set up for using the hammock. But it doesn't solve every issue; the stove runs out after a couple hours and you're back to sleeping in the cold. So it's not all fun and games.

Obviously no need for VBs with that baby! Plus, no worries about condensation accumulating in the insulation even on th longest of trips, because this set up would probably provide lots of opportunity for drying everything out, without needing the sun. OTOH, backpacking with it might prove challenging for all but the strongest among us!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 10-05-2021 at 08:35.

• + New Posts
  • Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast