11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    You are welcome Nick! And yes, another way to increase the warmth is to wear thicker LJs or just spend more money, weight and bulk on thicker insulation. Though frankly, I doubt that just having slightly thicker thermals would get me another 20*F, though who knows maybe for some. Also, when I use VBs, I end up with less moisture in both my hammock and my insulation, but it's true YMMV.
    Note post 26 and 32 in this thread for example: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...zzy#post387077

Also note the posts here- even on a short trip- comparing much less water weight even though the VB protected MW4 was NOT dried in the Sun for 4 hours:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...t=Fuzzy&page=3

Also, post #6 in this thread is interesting:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...light=Warmlite

So, I could skip the $3, ~ 2 oz space blanket in my HHSS ( which I think gets me at least 15F, maybe more) and just use a second HH pad. Instead I would then have ~ 8 oz added and 30 plus $ and way more bulk.

But, that still would do nothing for the condensation issues. Most of us do great most of the time with our breathable systems. We get away with it just fine. But there are still folks who on week long cold trips report loss of loft in their down gear- and/or loss of warmth in synthetic gear- due to condensation inside their breathable insulation. I have heard about it many times over the years, and I have seen it happen with a friend of mine's PeaPod on 2 different week long trips. Though it didn't happen with my PeaPod, protected with a VB. Apparently 100% loft after one very wet week with no sunshine. It has worked well for me and others.

But don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to talk any one into VBs. Matters not to me. HYOH and all like that! And except for a space blanket (VB) under me in an HHSS or sometimes in my PeaPod, I mostly use breathable systems any way. But questions were asked, and it seemed there was some confusion on what a VB was meant to do, so I tried to explain to best of my limited ability. I hope it was of some help.

Although, I have never forgotten my 1st VB observation, over 20 years ago. I had a friend whose feet were freezing. One pair of wool socks, then another, still freezing. I loaned him my Patagonia VB socks which I had never even used. He put them on with one layer of wool socks over them. It didn't take very long until he told me " Oh Yeah, my feet are toasty!". Lesson learned.

Edit: Oh, and I forgot: If you choose to use a truly water and wind proof outer layer, like a 2Q sil-nylon UQ protector or the HHSS Undercover, you had better use an inside VB right under or pretty close to your hammock or you are going to have some serious condensation issues.

Mac, I might be missing your point. Can you elaborate? Are you saying it might not be good to block evaporative cooling during a cold nights sleep, that it might be a problem? Or something else?
    Thanks,
    Bill
    Now that I am thoroughly confused by the thread,how come I have never had a moisture issue when using my 2QZQ
    UCP with my HG Phoenix 20? Note: about 18 years ago I tried playing with a Space Blanket along with my HH Super Shelter and had significant moisture so I gave up on that altogether.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    Now that I am thoroughly confused by the thread,how come I have never had a moisture issue when using my 2QZQ
    UCP with my HG Phoenix 20? Note: about 18 years ago I tried playing with a Space Blanket along with my HH Super Shelter and had significant moisture so I gave up on that altogether.
    2QZQ stopped making silnylon UQPs years ago - you probably have the regular breathable version. Nowadays, Dutch makes them out of Argon 90.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 09-30-2021 at 15:48.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    2QZQ stopped making silnylon UQPs years ago - you probably have the regular breathable version.
    This^^^^

Dutch sells the 2QZQ UQP and that's the only place they're now available. They're made of Argon 90, which is a breathable material.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I have a couple of sleeping bag VBs that I would be happy to donate to a couple of interested folks. They are sitting ready to either donate to the goodwill as I'm confident I will not be putting them to future use. One by Camp 7, neck high without hood, and one by Brooks Range, fully hooded. I hope this doesn't violate some RULES as I tried to give away some hammocks previously, but my old mind doesn't remember how I upset the universe by doing so???

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    OlTrailDog, there is a Free Hammock Gear sub-forum below the ForSale forum. What are the bags' temperature ratings?
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    2QZQ stopped making silnylon UQPs years ago - you probably have the regular breathable version. Nowadays, Dutch makes them out of Argon 90.
    THANKS for clearing that up! I value my 2QZQ UCP and my Dutch Side Zip hammock as two of the best pieces of gear I own.I've always been interested in the vapor barrier thing but after getting wetted out with a space blanket once I deemed it above my paygrade.

Hammock
    Gold Armour 10.4
    Tarp
    Gold Armour 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY synthetic 30*
    Suspension
    Spider straps
    Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    I have a couple of sleeping bag VBs that I would be happy to donate to a couple of interested folks. They are sitting ready to either donate to the goodwill as I'm confident I will not be putting them to future use. One by Camp 7, neck high without hood, and one by Brooks Range, fully hooded. I hope this doesn't violate some RULES as I tried to give away some hammocks previously, but my old mind doesn't remember how I upset the universe by doing so???
    Hi OlTrailDog! I would be happy to pay shipping for one for my wife. We are new to hammocks, and I want her to have fun and enjoy it. We as of yet have no UQ, and I can make do with a wool blanket for the time being.

I’ll happily foot the bill to ship one VB liner, too. Gearing up for winter season!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Update. One of the VB has been spoken for and will be on it's way next week. I decided to keep the other one and add it to the tupperware tub that I stow in the truck for the winter months. Believe me this tub contains enough junk to outfit a minor arctic expedition. Most of it I haven't used, but some of it has come in handy. I guess it is the boy scout in me and having been spanked by mother nature too many times over the years while figuring out common sense isn't so common.

Hammock
    Gold Armour 10.4
    Tarp
    Gold Armour 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY synthetic 30*
    Suspension
    Spider straps
    It was nice of you to make the offer.

• + New Posts
  • Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast