Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    HH HyperLite w/ Zipper Mod#2
    Tarp
    MC Spinntex Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Wash 3 & 4

JRB Mt Washington Adjustment Question

I was able to use my JRB Mt Washington this past weekend in SNP. My hammock is a Hennessy Hyperlite, tarp is a MatCat Standard, I used a Western Mountaineering 20 Deg bag and slept in a light synthetic base layer.

Friday night was very warm at 55 Deg. F so not a good test but I stayed warm and set up was easy.

Saturday night dropped down to 40. I had my tarp pretty high so it was not blocking the wind. I'm guessing it was occasionally blowing around 10-15 miles hour. When a gust would come through I would get chilled on the bottom, mainly at the lowest point. I'm going to order a tarp with more coverage for the colder months.

If you have experience with the Mt Wash. how tight would you adjust the JRB shock cord that attaches to the suspension line? I'm thinking if it were tighter the wind would not have blow between the under quilt and hammock. 40 Deg is a long way from 0-10 Deg. See picture below.

I did attach the Hennessy side shock cord to the under quilt and then staked it out. Maybe next time I should not use them and let the quilt wrap around the sides more.

Thanks for any suggestions.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Don't use the side shock cords in the cold. If you lay on the diagonal, you can use the head end tie out tied just snug enough to the Macat tie out to keep the netting out of your face if it bothers you. I never use the foot end tie out. Make a Blackbishop bag and keep playing with the UQ, then lock it down on the hammock and leave it alone.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by billslade View Post
    I was able to use my JRB Mt Washington this past weekend in SNP. My hammock is a Hennessy Hyperlite, tarp is a MatCat Standard, I used a Western Mountaineering 20 Deg bag and slept in a light synthetic base layer.

Friday night was very warm at 55 Deg. F so not a good test but I stayed warm and set up was easy.

Saturday night dropped down to 40. I had my tarp pretty high so it was not blocking the wind. I'm guessing it was occasionally blowing around 10-15 miles hour. When a gust would come through I would get chilled on the bottom, mainly at the lowest point. I'm going to order a tarp with more coverage for the colder months.

If you have experience with the Mt Wash. how tight would you adjust the JRB shock cord that attaches to the suspension line? I'm thinking if it were tighter the wind would not have blow between the under quilt and hammock. 40 Deg is a long way from 0-10 Deg. See picture below.

I did attach the Hennessy side shock cord to the under quilt and then staked it out. Maybe next time I should not use them and let the quilt wrap around the sides more.

Thanks for any suggestions.
    Billslade,

The MT Washigton should be snugged up to the hammock bottom. There should be no gap when installing it.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    HH ultralite explorer
    Tarp
    HH hex tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Washington
    i just received my Mt Washington last friday, and with my limited testing, don't see how you're getting any draft on that quilt with it sinched up. the loft was incredible and it was toasty!!

Images
    i've experienced cold wind coming through breathable shelled uq's before where i never did with a sil shelled version. you likely need a bigger tarp to block the wind or an undercover of some sort to do the same. seems like most do it with a big tarp.

oh, i see you said the tarp was pitched high, maybe a steeper pitch would have blocked it.

Hammock
    Tarp
    MC Spinntex Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Wash 3 & 4

Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions!

Nothing against the Mt Washington at all, it is a very nice under quilt. I just need some more experience with this cold weather system.

I appreciate everyones help.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    As Pan noted snugged. The design of this quilt makes it tough to over tighten unlike a more conventional under quilt. I prefer not to use any side tie outson the quilt. Allows the quilt to wrap around the hammock and you firmly. Have been comfortable at sub freezing temps with the Mt Washington as an under quilt and Nest as a top quilt.
    Tonight will be our 1st real cold night. Forecast is lows in the teens. Would be a good test night, but just came home from work and I'm not really into winter camping. Autumn 20's are ok with above freezing days. Single digit nights with sub freezing days are bit too cold. Yes, I'm a wimp when it comes to cold.
    Noel V.

Hammock
    Tarp
    MC Spinntex Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Wash 3 & 4

Smile Try # 2 - Success

I was able to get out and hang behind my house last night. This was the second use of the Mt Washington UQ. Temps were about 25F when I went to bed and 30 in the morning, also not much wind. I didn't use the side tie outs this time and it seemed to wrap around me more. I tightened the quilt up more than last time.

I just purchased a Nunatak Arc Ghost 32Deg top quilt and wanted to give it a try. I slept in Smart Wool top and bottoms, wool socks and a wool hat. I was very warm all through the night and probably could have slept ok even if cooler out. I have to say the top quilt is great and much easier to use that my bag.

Looking forward to more use and good nights sleep in the woods. Thanks everyone for all the help!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Billslade,

The MT Washigton should be snugged up to the hammock bottom. There should be no gap when installing it.

Pan
    Pan, ( sorry to be slow): Just to be sure ( would hate to damage anything)no gap when installing ( with BMBH or end gathered) it means exactly that? When installing, and before you get in and the hammock sags, the MWUQ should already be snug against the hammock bottom?

I'm asking that because when I install on the BMBH, and tighten draw cords so that the seam on the foot of the quilt matches up with the seam on the hammock, there were a few inches gap between the hammock and the quilt. It still seemed fairy snug when I got in. But should I tighten a little more to get rid of that gap of several inches that is there before I get in?
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 12-18-2008 at 16:41.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Pan, ( sorry to be slow): Just to be sure ( would hate to damage anything)no gap when installing ( with BMBH or end gathered) it means exactly that? When installing, and before you get in and the hammock sags, the MWUQ should already be snug against the hammock bottom?

I'm asking that because when I install on the BMBH, and tighten draw cords so that the seam on the foot of the quilt matches up with the seam on the hammock, there were a few inches gap between the hammock and the quilt. It still seemed fairy snug when I got in. But should I tighten a little more to get rid of that gap of several inches that is there before I get in?
    BB58, billslade, et al,

It is not necessary to string it like a piano wire.... If your hammock is stretched and at the usable sag.... Set the MWUQ to be gently snugged up...When you are in the hammock it should be in full contact with the hammock....

Notes to all...

The center pull ends and attched micro biner are to allow for three points of end suspension ( the two corners to the SS micro biners and the center pull to the secondary hitch on the quilt suspension system)...This is key to good contact in the leg area.

Also the ends should be drawn to a width of 14-16 inches on most gathered end hammocks....Looking at the photo of Billslades set up they appear too tight thus forcing the quilt to stand off from the hammock....Probably a cause of his draft issue the first night.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast