SLD Lair
    Tarp
    Gnarwhal Hex 12x9
    Insulation
    SLD UQ & KAQ TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckle

Quilt Combos

(I currently use 2 JRB Shenandoah quilts, a standard length and a Long for mild weather. I'm thinking of using both together as an underquilt (with the Long on the outside) and buying a No Sniveler (L) for a top quilt. I expect that would provide 3" bottom loft and 2 1/2" top loft for 20 degree weather. I know that the 2 Shenandoahs would provide less insulation than a 3" loft baffled quilt as they are sewn through construction but the layer between them will help. The combo would be about a 12 oz penalty over buying / using a Hudson River as a bottom quilt but would save me $250 for the 4th quilt. Any thought or advice would be appreciated!

Steve

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The idea will work - but since the quilts are different lengths it will depend on how much the outer Shenandoah sags below the inner one. If there's a big gap then you'll lose a lot of heat from it. But you could tie some small loops into the grosgrain of the inner one to make the quilts hang almost equally (you don't want them exactly equal). So it should work.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    SLD Lair
    Tarp
    Gnarwhal Hex 12x9
    Insulation
    SLD UQ & KAQ TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckle
    If I use seperate suspension systems it should allow each to be adjusted for a good fit.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    That could work but I don't think it's necessary. Just extra weight and complication. But there's only one way to find out! Set that sucker up and see what it takes.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

Images
    You could also try using one of the quilts doubled over as a 1/2 UQ. I have a DIY summer quilt with about the same loft as the Shenandoah and added a small grosgrain loop in the center on each side for that purpose. I have only tested this a few times in the backyard, and was toasty in the high 20's. I did not get an opportunity to test at lower temps (I live in South Carolina) and have since made a dedicated 3/4 UQ. Might be worth a try if you want to save some weight and carry a sit pad anyway that you could put under your legs at night.

Images
    hey, what are you guys using for a leg/sit pad? i used a doubled over 1/8" pad at colder temps and was basically ok. does anybody use a single thickness 1/8" or maybe a 3/16" pad? how cold does it seem to work to as a leg pad?

Hammock
    SLD Lair
    Tarp
    Gnarwhal Hex 12x9
    Insulation
    SLD UQ & KAQ TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckle
    That 1/2 UQ sounds like a great idea! I carry a 10" x 20" 1/2" pad (folded over) as a pack frame for my GG G4 pack and as a sit pad.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I use a 47x20x1/4 blue foam pad. Just big enough for a torso pad if I (God forbid) needed to go to ground, and it's big enough to sit on and keep my food off the ground when I'm eating. And plenty big enough for my legs in the hammock.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    I use a 47x20x1/4 blue foam pad. Just big enough for a torso pad if I (God forbid) needed to go to ground, and it's big enough to sit on and keep my food off the ground when I'm eating. And plenty big enough for my legs in the hammock.
    Sounds like a short Ridgerest should work, though evazote would be lighter.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by millergear View Post
    That 1/2 UQ sounds like a great idea! I carry a 10" x 20" 1/2" pad (folded over) as a pack frame for my GG G4 pack and as a sit pad.
    10" might be a bit small for the legs. I use a Z-lite cut down to 4 sections, I guess it is about 20"x20". Works perfectly for the legs and as a pack frame.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast