expedition vs. jungle

can anyone here tell me what the difference in comfort would be between a claytor jungle and a claytor expedition? i have read that the jungle is not as waterproof as it claims to be, so i think that is less of a consideration for me. i am pretty short and small so i am thinking that the smaller hammock would be lighter to carry and make my rain fly options more abundant.

any thoughts?

i tested out a cotton 7ft hammock i got in thailand in the back yard earlier and it was very comfortable. of course i was only in it a few minutes. what benefits would a longer hammock give me? if i remember correctly, on the website the width of both is the same.

also, can i use the expedition for ground camping as well? can i use spreader bars in the mosquito netting as i could with the jungle?

Images
    any camping hammock can be used on the ground. length and width factor into comfort, don't just opt for the smallest dimensions you can find. if you are smaller and lighter, you might opt to save weight by going with a lighter hammock fabric rather than smaller dimensions.

for 2.5-3# you can get just about any hammock and a good sized tarp.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by meeegun View Post
    can anyone here tell me what the difference in comfort would be between a claytor jungle and a claytor expedition? i have read that the jungle is not as waterproof as it claims to be, so i think that is less of a consideration for me. i am pretty short and small so i am thinking that the smaller hammock would be lighter to carry and make my rain fly options more abundant.

any thoughts?

i tested out a cotton 7ft hammock i got in thailand in the back yard earlier and it was very comfortable. of course i was only in it a few minutes. what benefits would a longer hammock give me? if i remember correctly, on the website the width of both is the same.

also, can i use the expedition for ground camping as well? can i use spreader bars in the mosquito netting as i could with the jungle?
    If you are short, it might work out OK, but I have not tried to sleep in the Expedition ( I am over 6 ft). My friend had one on my recent Wind River trip. I tried it out for a few minutes, but I don't remember much about it. I think my quick impression was "it's OK". It did have one advantage for use with a PeaPod. The pod ends went completely over the hammock ends and closed tight around the suspension webbing, which seems like a potential advantage for keeping warm.

How about e-mailing Tom Claytor?

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images

any thoughts?

THE CLAYTOR expedition and mosqutto 8 ft long.the jungle almost 10 ft long.
    the 8 ft hammock give me a neck acheneo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Calytor Small
    Insulation
    Walmart Eggcrate
    Suspension
    Strapage
    Images
    I opted for the Expedition for weight savings since I'm using it for backpacking, and the fact that I already had a tarp I intended to use as the fly. I am short 5-8, and when I have it at a comfortable sag and sleeping at a comfortable diagonal, fully stretched out I am just touching the side seams at my head & foot. I can't imagine being much taller than I am and not running in to issues, without having to lie less diagionally that I do. I am fully satisfied with my purchase though.

Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    length and width factor into comfort,

can you explain how? does the length of the hammock allow me to lay on more of a diagonal, thereby increasing my comfort? the widths of both hammocks are the same. i was just thinking that a 10' hammock which is almost 5 feet longer than me might be a bit too much hammock for me. according to the web site, the jungle hammock with the rain fly is 3lbs and the expedition is 2 (with no rain fly). i personally think the weights are a little off because then if i scroll down on the page and look at the weight of the diamond rain fly it is listed as 1 lb which means (using deductive reasoning here...) that the jungle hammock and the expedition are nearly the same weight. seems to me this isn't possible unless the material is much lighter weight on the jungle, but again according to the website the material is actually more heavy duty on the jungle hammock.

i am not necessarily trying to save weight by finding the shortest, smallest hammock but i do have to carry it on my back for a month, so lightweight is definitely a key feature. to me, i am just wondering if a person of my height really needs 5 extra feet of hammock around me or if i would be perfectly comfortable in something a little shorter and more light weight. i guess i am trying to find the right balance between comfort during the night and comfort while carrying my pack! i know that comfort is pretty subjective, but 5 extra feet of hammock seems like a lot. i was hoping to hear from people around my size as to what length of hammock works for them, but it seems that most members here are tall men =P

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    can you explain how? does the length of the hammock allow me to lay on more of a diagonal, thereby increasing my comfort? the widths of both hammocks are the same. i was just thinking that a 10' hammock which is almost 5 feet longer than me might be a bit too much hammock for me. according to the web site, the jungle hammock with the rain fly is 3lbs and the expedition is 2 (with no rain fly). i personally think the weights are a little off because then if i scroll down on the page and look at the weight of the diamond rain fly it is listed as 1 lb which means (using deductive reasoning here...) that the jungle hammock and the expedition are nearly the same weight. seems to me this isn't possible unless the material is much lighter weight on the jungle, but again according to the website the material is actually more heavy duty on the jungle hammock.

i am not necessarily trying to save weight by finding the shortest, smallest hammock but i do have to carry it on my back for a month, so lightweight is definitely a key feature. to me, i am just wondering if a person of my height really needs 5 extra feet of hammock around me or if i would be perfectly comfortable in something a little shorter and more light weight. i guess i am trying to find the right balance between comfort during the night and comfort while carrying my pack! i know that comfort is pretty subjective, but 5 extra feet of hammock seems like a lot. i was hoping to hear from people around my size as to what length of hammock works for them, but it seems that most members here are tall men =P
    i am 5 ft 7 in tall,but i am big built in the chest and shoulders and arms,i get a good lay in the 10 x 4 jungle hammockneo

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...r&imageuser=11

the matrix has you

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles

My wife is 5'4" 115 lbs and she prefers the jungle. She likes the extra room, usually has some things in with her, books, journals, etc. especially on a rainy or buggy night when the hammock is a nice escape. I am 6'2", 240 lbs. We really enjoy our JH's, have been sleeping in them since mid-May. We are going to design some DIY hammocks of the same size to hang in our bedroom when the really cold weather sets in. In the meantime, we are still hanging outside on our front porch in our JH's. The waterbed is reserved for "extracurricular activities." (smile)
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

do you know how much your jungles weigh because i think the weight on the website is inaccurate.

• + New Posts