DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Good thread to revive this time of year.

There are some things I do differently than others, but all of the info (I read most of the thread) is reliable and will prevent a noob from getting into big trouble.

Most often repeated is testing kit in really cold conditions in a location with easy bailout.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Images
    Wow! 8 year old thread! A good one, though! Cannibal( the OP ) was Da Man! He tested the prototype of the original WB Yeti, which was Climashield, took it below zero! (later he also tested the first down Yetis, took them way below zero) It was only single digits on his 1st night testing it(of the very 1st and synthetic model), when his Dad took this picture before waking him up! He was sleeping toasty warm in this hammock when this picture was taken. No tarp! He was wrapped up in his Dad's ancient synthetic bag and with this synthetic Yeti under him, and a leg pad. But, he called himself "the human furnace"!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 11-03-2020 at 09:10.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Great thread for folks new to winter hsmmocking and as a reminder to all of us. We've already seen 16° and had a few snow showers. Nothing sticking yet except for the higher elevations.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

I read this thread last night (as a bedtime treat )but as usual I'll read it again - always something new to learn.

Something that came to mind today: if you are wrestling a gorilla you don't stop when you are tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired. You always have to be aware of the conditions and how you are reacting to those. I work around my body: left foot, can wiggle and feel my toes; then right foot; then right hand then face then left hand; am I too hot? too cold? Adjust if necessary and go round again. Am I dropping into a cold hollow? Zip up the vents, add over-gloves and so on.

I also think about kit backwards - there's a change of clothes, food, fuel plus whatever back at the car or base. Similarly for kit at camp.
    Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry - Viking proverb

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    As a feller that lives in Minnesota I get at least half a year of some serious cold to camp in.
    I compiled a video series of Warmth Camping Tips if interested......https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...tiuDQk48ccHSY-
    and Warmth Tips.....https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...eCgGKr7TF7haoD
    Don't just focus on your sleeping rig and shelter. Keep in mind your hiking and camp clothing system.

We have had snow already but today was 70º.
    Lotta range.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Yep. Plan and practice for sure. Gear is good to assist you but gear doesn't think. Most of the issues I have had were from bad decisions I made - either directly or to trust someone not worthy of that trust.
    If your plan doesn't have a contingency factor to back out, your screwed from the get go.

And equipment doesn't "save" you. I lost a toe to frost bite on an ill fated cross country skii trip because I was too stubborn to pack it in when I fell a number of times and then became wet. 20 times faster wet items cool - can't move around enough to create heat when you are wet in freezing and worse sub freezing temps.

Tell people your plan too and not just one. Lastly communicate with the rangers before you head out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GilligansWorld View Post
    Tell people your plan too and not just one. Lastly communicate with the rangers before you head out.
    I learned this lesson the hard way. When I lived in Tucson, Arizona, the evening news always told you to tell someone where you were going before you embarked on your hike in the desert or mountains. So I always told my sister where I was going and when I expected to return. Well, this went on for two years, and eventually my sister started ignoring whatever I was saying to her. It just didn't occur to her that she might be the difference between my life and my death.

So one morning in January about 10 am, my wife and I headed up to Finger Rock, a particularly difficult hike we had attempted many times, but had never conquered. Well, we conquered it this time, but ended up stranded at 10,000 feet with freezing rain and snow causing major impacts on our ability to survive.

Eighteen hours later, at 6 am, we finally got off that mountain. I immediately called my sister and tore her a new butthole. Why didn't she call the police? Why wasn't I rescued? My sister said she just thought it was a formality when I told her my whereabouts - that there was no actual action item on her part to look out for my safety.

When somebody tells you that they're going hiking in the Arizona desert, or the Arizona mountains, you should realize that this is dangerous stuff.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 11-10-2020 at 22:13.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I learned this lesson the hard way. When I lived in Tucson, Arizona, the evening news always told you to tell someone where you were going before you embarked on your hike in the desert or mountains. So I always told my sister where I was going and when I expected to return. Well, this went on for two years, and eventually my sister started ignoring whatever I was saying to her. It just didn't occur to her that she might be the difference between my life and my death.

So one morning in January about 10 am, my wife and I headed up to Finger Rock, a particularly difficult hike we had attempted many times, but had never conquered. Well, we conquered it this time, but ended up stranded at 10,000 feet with freezing rain and snow causing major impacts on our ability to survive.

Eighteen hours later, at 6 am, we finally got off that mountain. I immediately called my sister and tore her a new butthole. Why didn't she call the police? Why wasn't I rescued? My sister said she just thought it was a formality when I told her my whereabouts - that there was no actual action item on her part to look out for my safety.

When somebody tells you that they're going hiking in the Arizona desert, or the Arizona mountains, you should realize that this is dangerous stuff.
    Did you make some mistakes with planning and/or gear?
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY,Speer,Tbird, JRB
    Tarp
    HG CF, MacCat, GG
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Speer,UGQ
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal
    Images
    Great to see this old thread again. Cold weather camping can be very serious business if you are not prepared, and have a plan "B"
    Life's A Journey
    It's not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

My PHOTOS

My VIDEOS

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by TZBrown View Post
    Great to see this old thread again. Cold weather camping can be very serious business if you are not prepared, and have a plan "B"
    And at the same time, cold weather camping can be a wonderful experience. For those of you who have never tried it and have reservations after reading this thread, don’t let the stories stop you from attempting it. Just take precautions and practice near home first if you can. Even better, find a local hiking group with experienced hikers for your first time or two out.

The challenges of winter camping are what makes it so rewarding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast