Question Advise on WL hammocks asked

Hey all,

I am new to hammock camping and am looking to buy my first hammock. I'm about 6'5" and a bit tall and weigh about 200 pounds. When sleeping on the ground I normally wake up with a stiff back, so I am hesitant to sleep in a hammock.

I've been looking around and really like the Wilderness Logics hammocks. Primarily because of the size and cut, which give them a straight lay.

So I am looking for a little bit of advise here, mostly limited to the WL hammocks (unless I am missing another hammock or brand that is similar).

Why go for either of the three types of WL (Night Owl, Lite Owl or Snipe). Is it as simple as deciding whether or not I want a double layer (to put an air mattress in) and if I am comfortable with the lighter fabric?

Will I be making a good choice with a WL hammock?

Not sure if these are sensible questions either...

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    First of all, welcome to the forum!

At 6'4" myself, I've got an ENO DoubleNest that I really enjoy. If you lay on the diagonal, you get very flat.

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have a Lite Owl and it will definitely work for you. I'm not nearly as tall as you but weigh the same. The WL hammocks are plenty long for someone 6'5".

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    i own both a Night Owl and a Lite Owl and love them both.
    you really can't go wrong with Wilderness Logics.

i'm 6'1" 200 lbs. the difference is as you stated. single layer vs double layer and 1.1 vs 1.5 ripstop in the double layer.
    the Snipe (sing.layer) and the Lite Owl (doub.layer)1.1 ripstop in coyote brown. and the Night Owl is doub.layer 1.5 diamond ripstop in black.

i cannot really speak for the Snipe because i do not own one and have only had an opportunity to lay in one for about 20 mins.
    t was very comfortable and i will probably purchase one in the future to complete my collection.

my first was the Night Owl and it is my favorite hammock. i prefer the fabric because it has very little stretch and a "harder" feel to it, and the diamond ripstop looks good. I use it from fall to spring. the doub. 1.5 allows less air movement which helps a little when i use my 3/4 length UQ. the NO is a stout hammock.

when my wife finally decided to begin hammock camping, i bought a Lite Owl. i use it during the summer(when it's too hot and buggy for my wife). the 1.1 fabric allows a little more airflow and has a "softer" feel. it also contours to the body slightly better because it has a little more stretch to the fabric. i really can't tell any difference in the lay (i've been told i snore equally loud, no matter which Owl i'm using).
    the LO weighs less than the NO if that is a concern and, of coarse, the Snipe is the lightest in the Wilderness Logics line.

the Wilderness Logics hammocks where designed for the 6'4" frame. the fit, function and finish are top notch.

ever since i bought my Night Owl, my WBBB has been on loan to a friend and i really don't miss it.

i hope this was helpful and welcome to HF,
    __bob__

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    I really dig my Lite Owl. Great flat lay. I can even get on my stomach sometimes.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    I love my lite owl. For a while I was carrying a lighter hammock, now I just carry the Lite Owl on all my trips because the comfort is almost impossible to beat (as far as I'm concerned.) Wilderness Logics makes great gear and the customer service is very good. You can't go wrong with either the Lite, or Nite Owl.

Welcome to the forum.
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Flatline - have the night owl's always been black and the lite's coyote brown? Sorry for any hijacking.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon360 View Post
    Flatline - have the night owl's always been black and the lite's coyote brown? Sorry for any hijacking.
    as far as i know.
    Marty may have made some in custom colors for special orders.

Thumbs up

Hi all,

Thanks for all the responses. It is really helpful to hear about the differences in experience with the various models.

I do want to lose weight in my pack, but am not concerned about a few grams. Currently I carry a 3kg tent with me. I'm guessing that the Snipe, although nice and light, is too light for me. I'd like the extra feeling of security of a double layer, in addition to that I can put my pad in there.

With regards to the Night or Lite Owl, I think that the only concern I have with the Lite Owl is that it will break if my girlfriend wants to be in there with me. But for only that reason I am not going to pack a heavier hammock! We'll sit on the ground then.

Right now I am leaning towards the Lite Owl for my first configuration. Thanks again for the insights!

• + New Posts