Hammock
    DIY dbl.layer
    Tarp
    DIY camo semi-cat
    Insulation
    DIY IX-UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Appreciate all the nice comments. Hope maybe this can be an inspiration to anyone who can't dump tons of money into this addiction - there are ways to make it happen on the cheap.

I thought I might get some critique or suggestions, but I guess I'll keep hangin till someone straightens me out (or my butt crashes to the ground!)

Thanks,
    -Klauss
    My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rexmichaelson

"But hey, 2 trees anywhere is a bedroom waiting to happen, right?"

The only real requirements are to be comfortable, not cold, and dry. You seem to have covered all the bases, quite well. Congrats.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Klaussinator View Post
    ...I thought I might get some critique or suggestions...
    Nothing to critique. Looks like a very solid setup. Congrats.

Hammock
    Handmade string & 1.1 dbl DIY
    Tarp
    Claytor diamond
    Insulation
    Wiggys FTRSS, pluq
    Suspension
    Webbing, whoopies
    Images

Thumbs up

I'll critique it.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Phoenix, Fl Jacket
    Suspension
    whoopies
    So impressed! I love to see people do it on the cheap. Definitely inspiring.

Hammock
    90"x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    I noticed your bug net is open at the bottom. I have seen others who have open or semi-open bottoms made with shock cord. I plan to modify an army bug net. I already did this with two nets for some relatives. What I did was make it similar to an ENO style net by sewing up the bottom and making a slit vertically on one side and adding a velcro closure. For mine, I have a sleeping bag zipper I was planning to use. However, having an open bottom definitely would make getting up at night easier and also allow for tossing over the top when unneeded. Also, I would think it is easier to put on as you don't have to thread the whole hammock through the ends. My question is about bugs!! I know in theory mosquitoes supposedly fly at an angle and wouldn't come up from the bottom, but I have a hard time believing they can't find their way in through a big hole! Plus, there are other types of flying insects and crawling ones, too! I like sleeping knowing stuff isn't going to be crawling on me! Especially spiders! Yikes!
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Palmetto State Hangers Treasurer <--Facebook Group Page
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Great looking bit of kit there. I love that everything was acquired for either free or really cheap. That's the way I like to do it myself. You can enjoy this hobby by spending as much money or as much time as you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Junebugdawn View Post
    I noticed your bug net is open at the bottom. I have seen others who have open or semi-open bottoms made with shock cord. I plan to modify an army bug net. I already did this with two nets for some relatives. What I did was make it similar to an ENO style net by sewing up the bottom and making a slit vertically on one side and adding a velcro closure. For mine, I have a sleeping bag zipper I was planning to use. However, having an open bottom definitely would make getting up at night easier and also allow for tossing over the top when unneeded. Also, I would think it is easier to put on as you don't have to thread the whole hammock through the ends. My question is about bugs!! I know in theory mosquitoes supposedly fly at an angle and wouldn't come up from the bottom, but I have a hard time believing they can't find their way in through a big hole! Plus, there are other types of flying insects and crawling ones, too! I like sleeping knowing stuff isn't going to be crawling on me! Especially spiders! Yikes!
    The way these types of bug nets work is that the netting forms a fake seal around the edge of the hammock due to the weights in the bottom hem. I've used the same type of netting on my hammocks in the past and even use the same technique on my sewn on bug net giving it a SEEP instead of a zipper. I've never had any uninvited guests in hammocks with me using this system, whether they be of the buzzing or crawling variety.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    DIY dbl.layer
    Tarp
    DIY camo semi-cat
    Insulation
    DIY IX-UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Hey Junebugdawn,

I dealt with these same questions when I was trying to figure out what to do about a bug net. I'd seen a lot of folks who just basically threw a net over the ridgeline, and while this might work, I didn't like the looks of it or the way the netting sags and lays all over you. I saw other ideas like the cinch cord around the bottom, velcro edges, zippers, etc. But the idea I liked most was simply weighting the lower edges. Here's why:

1- Gravity pulls evenly on the netting all the way around regardless of the shape of the hammock once you're in it, so the netting stays straight and off your face.

2- Ease of setup and use. Like you said, no need to thread the hammock through. Plus, you can toss one side over the back to get it out of the way when its not needed. The triangle "end caps" on mine have velcro on the bottom edge, so I just open them up and lay them over the suspension at the knot, then stick em together underneath. Nice tight seal!

3- It works! For weight, I used 5 or 6 ball bearings per side, sewn into the lower edge. Not sure of their size or exact weight, but they're not heavy. It works because the netting is so light, it doesn't take a lot to keep it pulled tight. If you picture the hammock with a person in it, the netting comes from the ridgeline down at maybe a 45 degree angle, folds over either edge of the hammock, and then hangs straight down. The net "seals" where it bends over the edge of the hammock. Flying bugs won't push their way thru this "seal", and keep in mind that anything that crawls has to find it's way down your Amsteel to even get to the netting. I just post little tiny "Keep Out!" signs on both suspension lines for the critters!

Seriously though, it's worked 100% perfect for me so far.

-Klauss

Hammock
    DIY dbl.layer
    Tarp
    DIY camo semi-cat
    Insulation
    DIY IX-UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    One thing I will add . . . If it's extremely windy where you're hanging, add a little velcro tab, a snap, a tie, whatever to the two lower "corners" of the netting. If you keep the front & back faces together at these points, wind can't overcome the weight of the weights.

-Klauss

Hammock
    90&quot;x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    Thank you so much for the info!! I am trying to picture all of this in my mind...I may have to wait until I get a net and look back at this info again. I can't remember how far the ends went down...I just remembered I sewed up the whole opening. It had a curve to it, I think. I wondering if I will have to sew down the ends, but leave the bottom open. I definitely like the idea of the triangles...seals shut and hold net in place. I added some paracord and a cord lock on the ones I modified so they could be closed up. I have been borrowing a friend's ENO net and that has given me some experience with the zipper opening. I tend to get up a lot, so having an easy escape would be awesome! I'd really like it out of the way when I don't need it, too.
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Palmetto State Hangers Treasurer <--Facebook Group Page
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast