Hammock
    DIY Gathered end type
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex

Question regarding cheap UQ

I got a couple of cheap 10C bags for $7.99 lately. I had the idea of using them to make an UQ and a top quilt. These are really simple, though quilted synthetic fill bags. For the UQ I was thinking of taking one, cutting it to size for my hammock (full width is probably too much), sewing up the hems up nicely, adding drawcords to the ends and some tabs to clip to. I had two thoughts to improve this system a bit. I was wondering if taking a seam ripper and pulling out the through quilting and replacing it with more traditional quilting threads would be a good idea. Hopefully the fill will simply puff back out. The other idea I was wondering about was if it would be a good idea to add one or two darts lengthwise along the top surface so it will pull tighter and allow the fill to loft downwards. I was thinking of two 1" darts. Or would two 1/2" darts be enough?

Dave

Hammock
    WBBB; Bridge in progress
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Short UQ/pad combo
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Wow. Where did you find those bags? I would recommend a variation of KAQ design. ( http://www.kickassquilts.com/MakeTOC.html ) At least for the underquilt. There is a tutorial for a sleeping bag top quilt conversion here on HF.

But I'll let one of the powered gear driven spun fiber injector guru's take the dart question. My knowledge in that area is severely limited.

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly!
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Hope and prayer
    Images

Hammock
    DIY Gathered end type
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Thanks, I have studied the instructions for the KAQ and I like the ideas they have there. I have also read your thread thecrumb, which also has a lot of good info. I was just wondering about changing the quilting method and adding the darts.

Dave

- oh yeah, I got the bags Canadian Tire (yup, I'm Canadian, how'd ya guess?). I've seen similar bags at Walmart for around $10

- oh, one more question, if I left the bag as is and replaced the zipper by just sewing it all up so it becomes a double layer quilt, would it end up being not wide enough? The other option was to cut it right open and rebuild it with two layers of fill to double the loft, but that's a lot of work.

• + New Posts