Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks

Splicing Dynaglide into Amsteel? Combo whoopies..

I'm looking at my Dynaglide whoopies, noticing them seperating quickly at the adjustable bury exit-much quicker than with Amsteel 7/64

They aren't going to last long as I'm right on the weight limit at 220 lb but I like the thin cord, and its strong enough in all parts but the adjustable bury exit.

My idea; make the fiixed bury and outer splice of the adjustable bury from Amsteel blue, then splice DG into that, above the adjustable bury and continue with DG to make a combination whoopie.

This should give lower weight than full Amsteel, with a much strengthened adjustable bury exit.
    My concern is it being impossible to pass the straight splice of the DG/Amsteel into the adjustable bury for short spans and the Amsteel not gripping the DG

Has anyone tried splicing Dynaglide into Amsteel 7/64

Your thoughts and comments would be appreciated.

Cheers, Pete.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    No sure about splicing the two together and have not tried it but I weigh 220 and have used a pair of dynaglide woopies for 2 years and did not have a problem with them. At the beginning of the summer I made a new pair just for fun by my old ones are still hang'able. Where the dynaglide exits the bury where the cord comes out it has loosened up and you can see the individual strands but I believe that is different from fraying (I remember talking to WV or maby Cranky Bear about this they explained it to me maby they will chime in) Cause all the fibers are still in tacked and not fraying but it has loosned up but when tension is put on the woopie they tighten right up, does that makes sense? Any ways if your fibers (individual strands are breaking or fraying) then I would say it is time for a new pair but if their just loosening up at the exit of where the cord comes out of I believe it is still usable. Do you have a picture that would be helpful. And I am no expert so please some one correct me if I am wrong. This is just from my experience.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Dyneema is pretty strong stuff. Is there any fraying or is it just the strands separating? If the strands are intact with no wear, there shouldn't be any problems. The braiding at the bury exit tends to separate.

With regards to splicing the two, I don't think dynaglide is big enough to give the amsteel something to constrict around. I could be wrong but intuitively I don't know if it is safe to do. I would liike to see if it's been tried or if it's possible.

The difference between an amsteel whoopie and a proposed hybrid Dynaglide/amsteel whoopie can't be worth the effort I imagine.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Gt UL, 1.7 wbbb
    Tarp
    GG, monsoon,suprfl
    Insulation
    PLUQ, jarbidge, di
    Suspension
    Whoopie wb-strap
    Images
    If you are talking about the strands separating I am not sure that it weakens them. I have a set of amsteel whoopies that have had a very large opening where the bury exits. I think they have been that way for most of the time i have been using them. If the strands are not breaking I think you should be OK. I am no rope expert, just going on what I have personally seen.
    Dammfast

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    No sure about splicing the two together and have not tried it but I weigh 220 and have used a pair of dynaglide woopies for 2 years and did not have a problem with them. At the beginning of the summer I made a new pair just for fun by my old ones are still hang'able. Where the dynaglide exits the bury where the cord comes out it has loosened up and you can see the individual strands but I believe that is different from fraying (I remember talking to WV or maby Cranky Bear about this they explained it to me maby they will chime in) Cause all the fibers are still in tacked and not fraying but it has loosned up but when tension is put on the woopie they tighten right up, does that makes sense? Any ways if your fibers (individual strands are breaking or fraying) then I would say it is time for a new pair but if their just loosening up at the exit of where the cord comes out of I believe it is still usable. Do you have a picture that would be helpful. And I am no expert so please some one correct me if I am wrong. This is just from my experience.
    Yes, that makes sense LRR. The strands are seperating, after 10 hangs I now have 1/2" of seperated threads, none are broken (yet).
    Thats interesting and good news about the seperating strands not weakening the cord, pure assumption on my part considered it to be weakened.
    At the same weight as you, I will probably have more faith in them now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Dyneema is pretty strong stuff. Is there any fraying or is it just the strands separating? If the strands are intact with no wear, there shouldn't be any problems. The braiding at the bury exit tends to separate.

With regards to splicing the two, I don't think dynaglide is big enough to give the amsteel something to constrict around. I could be wrong but intuitively I don't know if it is safe to do. I would liike to see if it's been tried or if it's possible.

The difference between an amsteel whoopie and a proposed hybrid Dynaglide/amsteel whoopie can't be worth the effort I imagine.
    As answered above, they are just seperating.
    I had a quick play after I posted and it seems the amsteel is having a hard time constricting against the thinner cord.
    As for whether its worth it I don't know but its good fun trying

Quote Originally Posted by dammfast View Post
    If you are talking about the strands separating I am not sure that it weakens them. I have a set of amsteel whoopies that have had a very large opening where the bury exits. I think they have been that way for most of the time i have been using them. If the strands are not breaking I think you should be OK. I am no rope expert, just going on what I have personally seen.
    I've had similar experiences with Amsteel whoopies, but mine took a good few nights to start seperating. My last set were the worst and actually jammed up after 50 or so hangs.
    It hasn't bothered me with the Amsteel seperating as there is so much extra strength but with this scary thin cord, its making me think..

Something I should have pointed out is I'm using a Dynaglide equivalent thats available in the UK. It has the same strenght and construction but is very slightly larger in diameter.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    My experience with Dynaglide is similar to what others have posted. The question of the strength of Amsteel or Dynaglide when the individual strands separate at the bury exit has been raised before, and someone posted that the word from one of the manufacturers was that strength is not compromised. Sort of vague, I know, but this (and the fact that I weigh 155 lbs.) has kept me using Dynaglide and Amsteel 7/64" interchangeably.

Someone posted recently about the extra length of most whoopie slings not being used, with long tails hanging down most of the time. I've noticed that in my use, too, but haven't done much about it. One solution suggested was using a short whoopie sling and carrying one or two extensions that could be added as needed. If you did that, you could make the whoopies with Amsteel and the extensions with Dynaglide. That might save some weight and give you some peace of mind about the whoopie strength. I'm not sure what method of connecting a dynaglide loop to an Amsteel loop would be strongest, though. Also the extensions would need to be pretty long to make the combination lighter.

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    My experience with Dynaglide is similar to what others have posted. The question of the strength of Amsteel or Dynaglide when the individual strands separate at the bury exit has been raised before, and someone posted that the word from one of the manufacturers was that strength is not compromised. Sort of vague, I know, but this (and the fact that I weigh 155 lbs.) has kept me using Dynaglide and Amsteel 7/64" interchangeably.

Someone posted recently about the extra length of most whoopie slings not being used, with long tails hanging down most of the time. I've noticed that in my use, too, but haven't done much about it. One solution suggested was using a short whoopie sling and carrying one or two extensions that could be added as needed. If you did that, you could make the whoopies with Amsteel and the extensions with Dynaglide. That might save some weight and give you some peace of mind about the whoopie strength. I'm not sure what method of connecting a dynaglide loop to an Amsteel loop would be strongest, though. Also the extensions would need to be pretty long to make the combination lighter.
    Thanks WV, thats a very good idea with using shorter whoopies. It would give the benefits of a stronger splice with the lower weight of the DG loops.

If the extension loops were the same length as the fully extended shorter whoopie , adjustment will be straightforward. (Edit; But no weight saving due to the splices. so no point in it)

Food for thought WV and this would work well too with Dutch whoopie hooks.

Great stuff
    Last edited by turnerminator; 09-28-2012 at 14:39. Reason: Just realised I'm a spoon, didn't think that through.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    If you carry one extension then you are saving weight. But if you carry 2 then I would think you should just leave them long. Weight is the same and nothing to lose. . I guess if you are using a lighter cord for the extensions then there is a bit but it seems so minimal. The way I lose things I'd be better off keeping the tails on. And there's always the basic convenience of leaving them. At least for me. My set up already takes longer than I want. Especially with cold fingers or gloves. Lol, with this kind of thinking I'll never be an ultra lighter!

How much savings would you get by cutting tails and having extensions?
    Last edited by HappyCamper; 09-28-2012 at 06:48.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    If you carry one extension then you are saving weight. But if you carry 2 then I would think you should just leave them long. Weight is the same and nothing to lose. . I guess if you are using a lighter cord for the extensions then there is a bit but it seems so minimal. The way I lose things I'd be better off keeping the tails on. And there's always the basic convenience of leaving them. At least for me. My set up already takes longer than I want. Especially with cold fingers or gloves. Lol, with this kind of thinking I'll never be an ultra lighter!

How much savings would you get by cutting tails and having extensions?
    I agree completely, its a duff idea with multiple extensions.
    An oversight on my part.
    Ease of use is a big factor for me too and multiple loops are asking to be lost.

The weight saving won't be much but it will be lighter, 1/2 oz at a guess. I also much prefer this thinner cord as for me, it doesn't snag forest debris like Amsteel does.

FWIW, I'm much happier knowing the seperated strands aren't weakening my whoopies much and hearing others at my weight using this stuff happily long term.

Ah well, it seemed like a good idea at the time

Thanks peeps for thinking this through, love this forum.

Hammock
    Warbonett BB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream2
    Insulation
    Winter Crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopieslings.com
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerminator View Post
    The strands are seperating, after 10 hangs I now have 1/2" of seperated threads, none are broken (yet).
    Thats interesting and good news about the seperating strands not weakening the cord, pure assumption on my part considered it to be weakened.
    At the same weight as you, I will probably have more faith in them now.
    One can minimize the strand separation by pulling the tail of the adjustable loop inline and parallel with the body of the whoopie sling. Pulling it outward at an angle can aggravate the separation.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast