Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images

Colorado Fall Hang / Ridgerunner release party - Oct 5-7, Burning Bear Campground

UPDATE - reverend ridge is a no-go, we will now be holding the Hang at Burning Bear Campground, near Grant, CO

We have settled on Oct 5-7 for the Fall hang and celebration of the release of the Warbonnet Bridge hammock.

The hang will be held at Burning Bear Campground. While the campground is technically closed for the winter, we have obtained verbal permission from the Ranger in charge to use it. However, there is a chance that the pit toilets will be locked that weekend - they have told us this every time we've used it, and there has always been one unlocked. The campground is very easy to get to; just head west out of Denver on Hwy 285 and keep on truckin until you get to Grant, CO. Don't blink! You'll drive right through it. You'll make a right turn onto County Road 62, which is right across the road from the Grant General Store. It's about 45 minutes to an hour from downtown Denver.

This is the same campground we used for the first annual Colorado winter hang. It won't be snowy this time of year, but you can learn more about the fun time had last time around by those whose speedbump dogs didn't ruin the trip, at this old thread

Keeping with the gear theme, I'm hoping to use this as an excuse to play around with some gear that has gone woefully un-used in the last year. I'll probably bring some stoves, some hammock stands, some extra under-insulation, etc. If there are any specific pieces of gear, hammock or otherwise, that you've been dying to see in person, please post in this thread, and hopefully one of the attendees will have one you can check out.

Prepare for freezing temperatures. Burning Bear is at an elevation of 9,633 feet, so it will potentially get quite cold at night. I'm sure several of us will be able to share some insulation, so don't be afraid to ask if you don't think your gear is going to be able to handle the cold.

We typically do a Pot Luck dinner on Saturday evening, so please plan to bring some food to share. I'm sure we will do day hikes on Saturday and Sunday to check out the changing aspen leaves.

Beyond that, if you'd like to plan any other activities for the gang, please let us know here.

Definitely Attending:

Mustardman & MrsMustardman
    boothill & sodakgrrl
    warbonnetguy + 2-3
    boulderman
    cannibal - saturday noonish
    danamac, possibly +1
    slowanderer
    richardd
    kyle

Maybe:
    outandback
    ice_man
    Last edited by Mustardman; 09-26-2012 at 22:57.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY SilArgon
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Synthetic
    Suspension
    Line/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    Definitely Attending:

Mustardman & MrsMustardman
    boothill & sodakgrrl

Maybe:
    Can't wait!
    "You'll never get a Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole." Capt. H. P. Crowe, USMC; Guadalcanal, 13 Jan 1943

'I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals. I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown

"Everything takes longer once a cat gets involved." sm

Images
    this is fine with me. anybody check to make sure hammocks are ok here, it is a state park

Images
    i'll be there and will bring 2-3 others

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware bling
    Looks like a great location! Count me in!
    Potential is nothing without hard work.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    anybody check to make sure hammocks are ok here, it is a state park
    I'll second this question. It is one thing for a random hanger to get away with hanging their hammock in a State Park out here. Another thing entirely when it's a flock of hangers. I'd feel much better with some kind of confirmation on this issue.

Otherwise, I'm game. I've got some work duties to do that Friday-Saturday, so I likely won't be there for Friday festivities. Should be in the clear by noonish on Saturday.
    Trust nobody!

DanaMac confirmed, possibly one friend. Saturday into Sunday only. No Friday.

I'm still not a 100% convert and just got my first hammock recently - sorry WB, it's a HH, but it was a trade out. Still need a little guidance on setting it up CORRECTLY. I used it just fine this weekend though out near Taylor Reservoir.

I don't want to be the intruding rep on the trip, but IF anyone wants to try a pack, let me know. I'll bring a few but won't be pushing them.
    AARN USA - North America Distributors

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Regarding the hanging in the park issue - You guys couldn't have brought this up during the multiple pages of posts since the first time that reverend ridge was suggested? I've been begging people for feedback, here.

I am working 12 hours today, so if someone else can call and confirm with the rangers it would be helpful. Getting on the internet is one thing, making phone calls is a bit more tricky.

update - at least two of us have called and confirmed no hammocks. We are actively looking for another location
    Last edited by Mustardman; 09-24-2012 at 12:19.

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

getting out of the cold

While the overnight low was 43.2 degrees at Jasper Lake 9/22/12 we should expect much lower for this hang.

This might be a place to get out of the cold.

http://royslastshot.wordpress.com/
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    Regarding the hanging in the park issue - You guys couldn't have brought this up during the multiple pages of posts since the first time that reverend ridge was suggested? I've been begging people for feedback, here.
    My apologies for that. I've been online on a pretty limited basis of late and didn't see the part of that thread where things started to funnel into the final decision.

I'll try to make a phone call this afternoon, but am also tied-up with some personal issues today. I'll try to post back here before the sun sets.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast