currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an

Question winter gear storage

I was wondering how everyone stores their gear over the winter months? I have had all mine in a rubbermaid shed since i started in the spring. I really dont have much room in my house and I like the room i have in the shed with a 6' table and some shelves, i have plenty of room to hang backpacks stuff sacks and table to work on .. shelves for food and gear supplies etc etc etc.. no animals no family moving stuff.. but i guess I am a little worried about the gear out in the cold sitting for weeks before i use it..any thoughts or experience??
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

I store all my gear in Rubbermaid tubs in a closet in my house! Not sure how well gear (mostly down products) would fair being stored exposed to climate changes (moist air mostly) unless the shed is climate controlled?

I guess as long as the gear is kept free of mold/mildew and insect free then I don't see a big problem with it!

But as I said my stuff is stored indoors, so little experience has I....
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    I store my down in those long skinny Rubbermade containers that are made to slide under the bed. They have little wheels on them. A TQ and UQ fit in there perfectly, w/o compressing them.
    We are now ready to start our way down the Great Unknown.We are three quarters of a mile in the depth of the earth.We have an unknown distance yet to run, an unknow river yet to explore.What falls there are, we know not; what rocks beset the channel, we know not; what walls rise over the river, we know not. Ah, well! We may conjecture many things. The men talk as cheerfully as ever; jests are bandied about freely this morning; but to me the cheer is somber and the jests are ghastly. Powell 1869

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    My down quilts have their own bed room . I lay them out on a bed and fluff them from time to time. My packs and stoves and all my other gear is stored in my basement in rubber maid containers. IMHO I would be weary of storing quilts outside permantly with all the weather changes and moisture that could occur. But by no means am I an expert on this topic or have experience with storing quilts outside in a shed.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I lay them out on a bed and fluff them from time to time.
    Ditto. I try and keep my hammocks and tarps in their stuff bags and in large rubber maid totes. Small stuff like lines ect I keep in smaller totes. I also have a chest of drawers I keep lots of misc camping stuff (stoves, pots ect)
    in.

If we have to use the beds then I have large oversize storage bags I store the TQs and UQs in.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Mine doesn't get stored during the winter. That IS our hiking season!
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    I have a spare bedroom dedicated to gear storage - it's got some shelves for small stuff, and the many quilts/bags we own sit on the top shelf in the closet inside loose cotton storage bags. A few of them hang from the bottom of the shelf, too.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    If your quilts are in bags in containers covered in an outside shed i wouldn't worry. Remember where it comes from. Its naturally in the outdoor weather all the time. I think down is very resilient. If your worried throw it in the dryer once a month to take out any dampness.JMO

bill
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    Switchback 1.9DL
    Tarp
    10x12 TTTG CatCut
    Insulation
    PolarPod
    Suspension
    TTTG Ring Buckle
    Images
    Keeping it dry is the important part, ensuring it is dry before you store it is just as important. I keep all of my gear (except my PolarPod) in my shop, in large totes with well fitting lids. I keep the PP in a noseeum bag the size of a king pillowcase in my closet, but have kept it in a tote outside in the shop while remodeling my bedroom. All of our gear, including the down products and the very large bags of down are in a non climate controlled shop, but the shop is dry and the products are kept in some type of container.
    I may have misread what you meant but why are you storing for the winter? The winter is one of the best seasons for a hammock, IMHO

Cheers, Dale
    Beer won't solve problems, but then again, neither will milk !
    Designer of the Switchback Hammock
    Tree to Tree Trail Gear:http://tttrailgear.com

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    I throw all my quilts in a hammock that is suspended from the ceiling in my basement. Turns out that a GT UL is the best sub $20 gear closet I could ever want.

David

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast