Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Small packed, light, and under $200...sounds like a Yeti from Warbonnet to me.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 0*
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    If I rarely hike in thing below the teens would a 0* UQ be too much? I only backpack/hike and I am concerned about weight and size packed. I ask because I could get a 0* for a really good deal.
    Last edited by toadz; 10-13-2012 at 18:28. Reason: spelling
    I may be lost but I am making great time.

“It was so cold that If the thermometer had been an inch longer, we'd have frozen to death.” ~ Mark Twain

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    A general rule of thumb for many folks is to go for a UQ rated for a lower temp and vent if it's too warm. I would go for a 0* if I got into the teens rather than a 20* and sleep in everything, but that's my preference. For warmer weather a summer quilt would be that much smaller and lighter.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 0*
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Detail Man View Post
    A general rule of thumb for many folks is to go for a UQ rated for a lower temp and vent if it's too warm. I would go for a 0* if I got into the teens rather than a 20* and sleep in everything, but that's my preference. For warmer weather a summer quilt would be that much smaller and lighter.
    Thanks I went with the 0*. I will try it out backpacking next month.

“It was so cold that If the thermometer had been an inch longer, we'd have frozen to death.” ~ Mark Twain

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Winter bag/DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/dutchware
    Images
    Water Monkey, thanks for sharing that vid--very helpful.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 0*
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock_monk View Post
    Water Monkey, thanks for sharing that vid--very helpful.
    I echo that...

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    no problem here to help.
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    ENO and Hennessy
    Insulation
    down UQ
    i am glad to see the use of sleeping bag used as "pea-pod" mentioned here. it is almost never discussed it seems. i use this self same system (as do the rest of my family) on my winter outfit. an ENO doublenest, down bag zipped up around it, lighter synthetic bag zipped over that (moved dew point away from down and protects down from splash, etc.) i have sewn tabs on all four corners of the bags to which shock cord or laces can be tied to keep bag/s in position. this works wonderfully well. no need for all these pads, or expensive underquilts. if it is really cold i put my wool blanket in the hammock with me, and dress accordingly with socks, hats, etc. be sure to leave a space unzipped by your face to vent your breath (or moisture can build in there with you.) this set up is great for after the bug season, or all year if bugs don't bug you. ) i just use the light bag in summer. oh, and a tarp of your choice over you is a given. even in Canada one can get rain in winter...esp. the last few years.
    the four tabs on the down bag i also use to perfectly snug it up against my HH in summer, for that warm as toast feeling against the back. no pads to shift, bunch or compromise your hammock comfort. wraps around the shoulders, too.
    i did this because i cannot afford the price of the UQs that are out there, beautiful as they may be. also, i needed four of them, since my hubby, and two children also sleep in hammocks (we all hammock in the house as well...who would choose otherwise? lol)
    and that would be my two cents.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by treehugger View Post
    i am glad to see the use of sleeping bag used as "pea-pod" mentioned here. it is almost never discussed it seems. i use this self same system (as do the rest of my family) on my winter outfit. an ENO doublenest, down bag zipped up around it, lighter synthetic bag zipped over that (moved dew point away from down and protects down from splash, etc.) i have sewn tabs on all four corners of the bags to which shock cord or laces can be tied to keep bag/s in position. this works wonderfully well. no need for all these pads, or expensive underquilts. if it is really cold i put my wool blanket in the hammock with me, and dress accordingly with socks, hats, etc. be sure to leave a space unzipped by your face to vent your breath (or moisture can build in there with you.) this set up is great for after the bug season, or all year if bugs don't bug you. ) i just use the light bag in summer. oh, and a tarp of your choice over you is a given. even in Canada one can get rain in winter...esp. the last few years.
    the four tabs on the down bag i also use to perfectly snug it up against my HH in summer, for that warm as toast feeling against the back. no pads to shift, bunch or compromise your hammock comfort. wraps around the shoulders, too.
    i did this because i cannot afford the price of the UQs that are out there, beautiful as they may be. also, i needed four of them, since my hubby, and two children also sleep in hammocks (we all hammock in the house as well...who would choose otherwise? lol)
    and that would be my two cents.
    Wonderful example of making what you have work!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12