Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

New guy needs another hammock

Hello folks!

Just got back from a 4 nighter in an HH (the big one-explorer?) and man, I had a hard time getting to sleep in it. I found I'd have to lay on my side to fall asleep. I was pretty wore out by the last night and I didn't hang it very well and it sagged a bunch. Great sleep that night! It was also warmer that night, so I'm not 100% it was the lower hang. I really don't like the bulk and weight of the HH but I'm 260lbs and it's what I found.

Looking at getting a lighter weight, less bulky hammock that is good for a side sleeper. What would you suggest?

Hammock
    Cave Creek Hammock (Hexon 1.0)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Huggers
    I have heard bridge hammocks are good for side sleepers. Haven't had the chance to try one out though.

Hammock
    BIAS XL Camper, ENO DN
    Tarp
    12x10 WL tarp
    Insulation
    Junebug quilts
    Suspension
    WS, TH, ET
    Images
    I would suggest a dangerbird 60 or a bias ( butt in a sling ) camper. I've slept in both. I've found that the longer and wider bodies made for a great night of side sleeping. the bias is just a hammock the dangerbird is kind of modeled after the HH but with more room.
    Life looks better from a BIAS hammock.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I have a BB and sleep on my sides in it.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    SLD Lair
    Tarp
    Gnarwhal Hex 12x9
    Insulation
    SLD UQ & KAQ TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckle
    I'm a side/fetal position sleeper and I've tried many. many hammocks. Always come back to the Speer. Very easy to DIY also.
    I THOUGHT GETTING OLDER WOULD TAKE MUCH LONGER.

I've got many hammocks, from eno's, wbbb, sb pro, bliss, dangerbird, WL night owl, smokehouse 11, and others and find most comfortable for awhile, but have found I use only two for my "go to", the dangerbird and WLNO, i can side sleep back and on occasion, stomach, point being I sleep through the night in these two, I'm 6'4" 225. I've stayed almost 40 straight nights in DB and weeklong treks in WLNO, with good rest and sleep, which for me is the issue for hammocking, both allow either side sleeping albeit I'm most left side, really like DB all inclusive with net and cover built in, both have easy sweet-spots. Like wbbb, just sometime problem with leg cramp and only left lay, anyway my 11/2 cents. btw all still beat the ground

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    You have the HH so don't give up on it quite yet. I am about your weight and sleep well in my explorer. Be aware that HH definitely has a learning curve to it. You need to hang them with more slack than you think would be right. As long as the ridgeline is taut but not banjo string tight you are in the ball park. I really like my explorer for side sleeping. I'm kind of leaning against one side of the hammock and the support is great.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Banned
    Thanks for all the suggestions fellas. I sure appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    You have the HH so don't give up on it quite yet. I am about your weight and sleep well in my explorer. Be aware that HH definitely has a learning curve to it. You need to hang them with more slack than you think would be right. As long as the ridgeline is taut but not banjo string tight you are in the ball park. I really like my explorer for side sleeping. I'm kind of leaning against one side of the hammock and the support is great.
    Main reason I want something else is the weight and bulk. Looking around there are better options.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Asym
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE AND STRAPS
    Quote Originally Posted by Higbean View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions fellas. I sure appreciate it.

Main reason I want something else is the weight and bulk. Looking around there are better options.
    what about the hennessy hyperlight or ultralight that way if you have a SS it would work on your new hammock. also what are you gonna do with your explorer. also what tarp are you using if your using the stock tarp from hennessy its HEAVY and you could go to their SIL asym which is close to half the weight.
    BT
    "Hang safe and enjoy the outdoors"

http://tqnt.webs.com/
    Turtle Quilts N Tarps
    your home for custom made products

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL Lefty
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    HG20*3/4UQ-EE30*TQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I have a WarBonnet BlackBird and sleep almost exclusively on my side quite comfortably. I ordered my hammock "lefty" as I sleep on my right side.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast