Newbie - with a problem to pose

Hi all!

I've been lurking around this site for a month or more. Wanted to say hello. I've always loved sleeping in hammocks and the idea of sleeping in hammocks. Never have I had difficulty sleeping in a hammock. I've decided to become a full time hammock hanger and am pleased to see so many enthusiastic peers!

Question(doesn't need an answer right now): Why does the western world hate the idea of sleeping in a hammock full time so much?? I have been met with nothing but resistance to this notion since I started on this quest 2 mos ago. Even as I attempt to get my hammock hung and search for the right stand - I hit dead ends everywhere... (unfortunately, I am not able to hang it from the walls or I would).

So, for my REAL question of the moment: Where in this forum should I pose my problem re: hanging a hammock on a stand in an apartment - so that it might be seen and properly categorized? (I'd rather give the details before anyone attempts to address my hammock problem right now)

Thank you!

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubbins View Post
    Question(doesn't need an answer right now): Why does the western world hate the idea of sleeping in a hammock full time so much?? I have been met with nothing but resistance to this notion since I started on this quest 2 mos ago. Even as I attempt to get my hammock hung and search for the right stand - I hit dead ends everywhere... (unfortunately, I am not able to hang it from the walls or I would).
    Don't know what you're talking about! Lots of folks here are full-time hangers! Now if I could get my WIFE to hang full-time, I'd be hanging full-time...

So, for my REAL question of the moment: Where in this forum should I pose my problem re: hanging a hammock on a stand in an apartment - so that it might be seen and properly categorized? (I'd rather give the details before anyone attempts to address my hammock problem right now)

Thank you!
    Sounds to me like a general Hammock question... unless you're making the stand yourself, then it's a DIY thread...

Anyway, if it goes off-topic, or should be somewhere else, one of the mods will move it for you... not a big deal...

Welcome Aboard!

John
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Welcome to the forum!

Sleeping in a hammock is definitely culturally based. In South America, folks have been sleeping in hammocks since well before Columbus discovered them in 1492. Hammocks are still used full-time in many countries in South America, although Western culture has invaded and mattress beds are more widespread.

In the U.S., however, hammocks were mostly seen aboard ship (also thanks to the influence of Columbus' discovery). It wasn't until about 1860 or so when a riverboat captain took the traditional Mayan/Brazilian style hammock, with its deep sag and diagonal lay, and tried to spread it out like a Western-style mattress. The idea was to gain the air-cooled advantages of the hammock but keep the mattress look.

This design, in my opinion, has done more to hurt hammocks than help them. Most people agree that rope hammocks with their spreader bars are tippy and uncomfortable for long periods of time. While the image of a beautiful body lounging with a wine glass in one hand on a rope hammock seems idillic, it's more hype than anything.

The cultural mindset of most people in the U.S. is based on this spreader-bar, rope hammock. It's popularity grew, although the comfort level lowered. The rope hammock is so ubiquitous that it is the first design people think of when I talk about hammocks. Changing this cultural norm is going to take a long time, but the growing popularity of camping hammocks is helping tremendously.

I love it when I can convince a skeptic to lay in a Brazilian-style hammock and they exclaim, "wow, this really is comfortable!"

So, keep up the great work and don't be afraid to buck the norm with regards to sleeping in your hammock full time. A lot of people in this forum do so.

As to your question about hanging indoors without the ability to set bolts in the walls, your next best option will be to construct or buy a stand. There are tons of great options out there to suit your taste:

TurtleDog Stand
    Pipe Stand
    Fence Pole Stand
    2x4 PHS

Hammock
    INSULHAMMOCK
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    INSULHAMMOCK
    Suspension
    I was expelled
    Images
    welcome from east tenn.
    Ignorance is simply not knowing, Stupidity is knowing and not doing. "Stupidity should be painful"

"Have you ever stood and stared at it, marveled at its beauty, its genius? Billions of people just living out their lives oblivious" Agent Smith, The Matrix

Please leave suggestions and comments on our H.O.C.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=57721

Come check out our Creation
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uw7-XGKnDU

Insulhammock
    http://camping-hammock.us/

Awesome! Thank you all for the warm welcome you guys!

Some great info there, Dejoha! Also, some good options that I will consider!

I'll be posting my problem in the general hammocks area.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Hello and Welcome from Canada!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Awesome! Thank you all for the warm welcome you guys!

Some great info there, Dejoha! Also, some good options that I will consider!

I'll be posting my problem in the general hammocks area.
    Seems to me you've already posted it. Gotten some good answers, too. Here's a Google search of HF with more: https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&safe=images&q=site:++site:hammock forums.net+hammockforums.net+indoors&sa=X&ei=ls5ZU P2lG6Pn0QGTsoGgAQ&ved=0CCsQrQIwAA&biw=1280&bih=554
    This will give you some more background material. It may help you when post further details. Good luck!

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    welcome to the madness

some people think going camping means taking a RV to Disney
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

WV, that's a great way to search the forum. I'm going to remember that! Thanks for the input.

I did (re)post my question in the general hammock forum - been getting some great ideas - THANKS: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=59587

I always laugh when I go camping with my friends and they bring folding mirrors with a collapsible wardrobe, a battery powered blender... lol. That's not camping! I'm just a farm boy in a big city.

Thanks again for the welcome everybody! A big howdy from down here in sunny Los Angeles!

• + New Posts