Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Images
    Well, as usual over the years, about 90+% for the UQ!

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    the warmth radiating back is very nice, as noted above.

I move a lot in my sleep, and if the pad isn't held in place somehow it ends up squirting one way or the other and I end up chasing it all night long. True for me even with a double body gathered end, if the pad is free to move, when I move, it will move too, and not to my advantage. Pad pockets in bridge hammocks are a different matter though, pads stay put and are for me, useable. A difference though is that an UQ's sides will rise up higher than my shoulders and hips, and provide some insulating value if a knee or arm ends up off the pad.
    Yep to all of that, especially the bridge hammock part. They have not chimed in yet but there are one or two who actually prefer the feel of a wide pad for over all comfort- BUT for the most part when used in the JRB Bridge hammock's pad pocket. And I may not prefer it in all ways, but I have come close to switching to a pad, but only in this hammock. At the very least I can say that a 25-26" wide pad comes much closer to comfort of UQs in this hammock.

Quote Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
    I think I am the only one here on HF that uses UQs in 3-seasons and switches to pads in winter. For me, that winter is sub-zero. I have been in -22*F with pads and been very warm and comfortable. I think my comfort with pads is due to my hammock choice. I have never had any of the issues others describe with pads in my hammock. I get the same radiating warmth with the blue ccf in the serious cold temps as I do with the UQ in the warmer temps. With the UQ it seems to take a bit longer as the temps drop, but with the ccf, it is almost instantaneous at those ultra cold temps. Others' experiences apparently are different than mine, thus either I am a freak and the anomaly, or just the only one who posts against the popular choice. No matter what you choose, happy hanging!
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    No freak. I know this phenomena also. My understanding, for what it is worth. A CCF pad works differently from a down quilt. A CCF pad gives a resistive barrier to heat transfer without trapping much heat itself, while the UQ resists heat transfer largely by trapping warm air inside of it. Where does the warmth for the UQ to trap come from? The occupant. There is time needed to warm up a very cold UQ. That's where the "Nalgene filled with boiling water, placed in a heavy woolen sock and tossed into the bed a few minutes ahead of time" trick comes in. Have to do that for a down-filled pad like the Exped also.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish<>< View Post
    <----underquilt lover

The best way to describe the difference is to lay in your hammock for a while without a pad and see how comfy you are. With an underquilt you get that feeling all night long.
    Now right there is a major piece of practical advice for you, easily checked out. While weather is still warm enough, use your hammock without the pad and with. Adding the UQ basically changes nothing about the feel of the hammock but the warmth factor. If you do not find the hammock significantly more comfy ( not just dfifferent but more comfy) with no pads in it, and you have no trouble staying on your pad ( even in your no pad pocket hammock?) and if you have not yet had any problems with things like excessive sweat/condensation on your back, then you are probably wasting your time and money trying to improve things with UQS. But, if you are laying in your pad free hammock and thinking "dang, this sure is a lot better than when I have that pad in here", then you are - like most folks - a major candidate for one of the UQs!

I have only used pads one time in 6 years, at 18F. But it was the warmest single night I ever had in a hammock, or at least equally warm. I have done a bit colder(10F) with JRB UQs or a Pea Pod, and I was warm enough. But I was sure not any warmer than with 2 stacked ( in a Speer SPE ) summer thickness pads at 18F. Clearly I could have gone WAY lower than 18F. Comfort was at least adequate and sweat was no issue. Plus, there was one other really cold night ( for these regions) of 14F with no tarp and a 6F windchill and a kind of pad: An HH Super Shelters(HHSS) open cell foam pad augmented with a fleece jacket under the pad in the butt area and a down vest under the pad in the upper back area. That was also one of my warmest "cold" nights.

But except for that, I always use various types of UQs like JRB UQs, or a Speer Pea Pod or a Climashield Yeti or my original, the HHSS. ( the HHSS is not exactly an UQ, as it uses a pad, but as far as comfort I consider it the same, I can not tell it is there except for warmth, it is way different than using a CCF or inflatable pad) So far I have preferred them due to more comfort, though using a bridge hammock has put me closest to switching to a pad.

Pad advantages over UQs( Yes, there actually are some ) I have always said that those who are fully satisfied with the comfort of a pad/hammock are the lucky ones because:
    1: cheaper
    2: waterproof
    3: windproof
    4: no adjustments to get wrong, assuming you can stay on it. It is impossible not to stay on it in a bridge with pad pocket.
    5: a thick enough pad, for me and DuctTape anyway, should be warm enough for any encountered temp.
    6: If you might ever end up on the ground, or need sit pads for any reason ( no trees, have to stay in a shelter, no hanging allowed) you are all set if you are already sleeping on pads. If you are using UQs, you must also carry enough pads to be covered for the above situations.
    7: on a long, cold, wet trip with little sunshine for drying, there are no concerns about moisture condensing inside of your quilts, at least not your UQ. TQ is a different story.
    8: no concerns about external moisture/soaking fog
    9: pad serves multi-purpose: wind block for stove, fan for fire, insulation/cushioning for sit anywhere purposes, like if you have to pitch your tarp mid hike for a warm food break due to horrible weather conditions. Probably some other purposes.

But when it comes to maxing out the comfort of most hammocks, the UQ rules, at least for most folks. And you are the only one who can determine that for you. If you don't prefer your hammock with no pad in it, then don't be crazy. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Unless of course, you just want to for fun and the glories of new gear! That is a whole nother story!

Quote Originally Posted by UrsaMajor1887 View Post
    I fought with a variety of pads over about ten nights in the back yard and then one night I encased my hammock in my sleeping bag (20° synthetic) like a sock (peapod style). It was the most comfortable night I had had in a hammock. The only problem was, given the temperature and humidity, my sleeping bag was completely soaked in condensation. It was at that point I decided I would have to try an UQ. I ended up with a HG Phoenix 20°. I carry a sit pad anyway, so I use that to insulate my legs on cooler nights. So far, I have been comfortable down to about 50° without additional insulation under my legs. Your mileage may vary. I really wanted the pad to work for me as my hiking buddy in New Hampshire prefers to stay in shelters, but alas, I fall into the UQ camp. I throw a NeoAir in my pack when I go to New Hampshire in case I wind up in a shelter as happened one night on my last adventure to the Whites.
    It did take a few nights and a few posts to figure out how to properly adjust the underquilt to eliminate cold spots and drafts. It also took some time to work out how to use the sit pad (and what sit pad) to insulate my lower legs. I love to play with things and experiment, and that is one of the reasons I moved off the ground in the first place.
    Do you think you overheated and were sweating? Don't know why you would have had so much condensation, or any condensation, assuming your bag was a normal breathable bag.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 09-18-2012 at 10:22.

Hammock
    GT Dbl
    Tarp
    GG11'
    Insulation
    PLUQ+sleeping bag
    Suspension
    ENO AtlasStraps

in a word... YES.

I have been increasing my hammocking-acumen over the course of several months now, and while I *really* wanted to buy myself an UQ, I just can't afford one, nor do I have the time and wherewithal to DIY it for a custom UQ.

So, I cheaped out for the next best thing and made myself a no-sew PLUQ (poncho-liner uq) and am really glad I did that!

Having an UQ makes a world of difference, in my opinion, to the comfort and quality of the hammock experience. I will save my duckets so I can one day afford a quality UQ, but for now, my PLUQ is quite sufficient!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    For me, the biggest difference when I switched from pad to underquilt was that my wallet got much lighter.

Well, that plus I no longer wake up soaked in sweat from sleeping on the pad.

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs &amp; whoopie
    I completely underestimated the benifits of an underquilt. I used a pad for a few years and as Cannibal says long as I was on the pad I was not cold. I was sweaty but not cold.

Then I came revisited Shug's series of videos (I can be a slow learner at times, plus I love them) and was inspired to I modify an old top quilt as an underquilt. It kept me warm but the suspension was less than air tight so it kept me warm some of the time.

After seeing eaglej's set up in person I made a 3/4 length UQ with Climashield as insulation and it is absolute heaven.
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.7
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Thermarest &amp; Bag
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Thanks everyone for chiming in. Some really good stuff on here and some really valid points. I love new gear. I am really thinking about getting a 20 degree incubator but not sure how it fits on a HH. I have a Explore Deluxe Asy Zip. Does anyone know how well an incubator will fit on this hammock.

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.7
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Thermarest &amp; Bag
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    I guess I could just buy an underquilt and see. NOt like Im made of money but i have accumulated about 8 backpacking stoves and if I can by these then I certainly can sock away the cheddar for an underquilt. Plus, I think it would be a good investment. Just want to hear first if others have Hennessy Hammocks and how the incubators fit on them.

As always i sincerely appreciate everyone's comments on this forum. U are all so knowledgeable and super friendly. Man I love this forum.

Hammock
    WBBB; WBRR; WBXLC;HH Exped
    Tarp
    Superfly; JRB Ulti
    Insulation
    HG TQ&amp;UQ; AHE; WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies&amp;Dutchware
    Images
    I used a CCF pad for my first few hangs, but then in the White Mountains the temps dropped. I hurry-rigged an UQ using a fleece blanket and GripClips, and was WAY warmer! That told me that I needed an UQ. I bought an AHE New River, rated to 30*, and with minor modifications (a moving truck blanket tucked between layers in my WBBB) took it down to 22* at last year's Jersey Winter Hang with NO problem! Roasty-toasty!

I am about to purchase a down 0* UQ and TQ, I think. PAds are fun at times, but I sure do like comfort and warmth!

~ Sky
    Live Purposefully; Dare Greatly; Land Gently

If you're going to do something wrong, go for it! - Beryl G.

"Never knock on Death's door - just ring the bell and run. He hates that!"

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    If you're happy with the Thermarest pad, then stick with it. Once you try a under quilt you'll have a hard time going back. Under quilts are wonderful, but are expensive and are exposed to the rain, condensation, etc. Once wet, they can be a problem getting dry while hiking the next day.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Under quilts put comfort and convienence into hanging...

Though more expensive than pads...They clearly take you to a new level of all over bottom warmth. Nice to have choices.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    DIY &quot;Taco&quot; Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa

Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Go with the underquilt - dream heaven!

Pads just don't let you enjoy the full goodness of a hammock. But yes, it's still better than sleeping on the ground.
    I've tried nothing... Big mistake, froze.
    I tried a thermarest pad...nicer, but almost too hot under me. I sweated to death on my back and froze on my top.
    Underquilts are sooo much better.
    I made mine using the "kick *** quilt" instructions on this board. It cost me around $130 for materials.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast